AdmiralJCJF

So, How Do We Feel About Repacks?

98 posts in this topic

Well, it's official, Corvus Belli are repacking units which were in single blisters into boxes or double blisters.

In May we are going to see:

Dactyl Engineer and Dactyl Doctor with 2 Yudbots in a single box.

Both existing Zerat sculpts (Hacker and Multi-Sniper)  in one blister.

Both old ORC blister sculpts (HMG and Boarding Shotgun) in one blister.

And Bostria talked about combining the Ninja Hacker model (the one with two swords out) and Sniper into a single blister in one of the Podcast interviews he did at Adepticon.

So...

This IS a thing, and it IS happening.

We have an explanation for why Angel was repainting those ORCs on his channel the other day - they must be doing new images for the webstore and other media for the repackaged box. And I must not be alone thinking that with his paint jobs on them some of those old models are going to SING.

But reaction to the idea so far seems to be mixed.

Personally I like it, knowing that pulling down the number of SKUs is good for CB and retailers, but I can understand the perspective of those who don't.

So what do you guys think?

I don't mind, and I think that these repacks can be useful for new players.

But I understand that some people might not like it if they only want one of the models in the blister.

If the repack also gets a cost saving then I reckon that's not a bad tradeoff. 

Dactyl repack gives Steel Phallus players an opportunity to get Yudbots without buying the Sophotect too.

On the downside it means Vanilla players can end up with 4 Yudbots, again it comes down to what the final prices are. 

It's annoying, I understand from a logistical point of view why they've done it, but it's not something I can get worked up about either way. 

I like it. And for single minis there's still @ChoKonnit's split box deal :D

I'm not particularly approving or excited for it, but I'm just glad it's not taking the place of a regular release.

Well, the repacks are really impressive, but I don't think it's the kind of impressive that CB would like me to feel.

It just bugs me when they count them as part of the months releases. I was also a big fan of dual blisters anyway.

13 hours ago, T.I.A said:

I like it. And for single minis there's still @ChoKonnit's split box deal :D

This is not and should not ever be considered an acceptable answer.

I like double blisters. I wish they'd resculpted the really old stuff instead of just repackaging it, but we all know that they have "the data they don't have to share"(B)).

1 hour ago, Loki said:

It just bugs me when they count them as part of the months releases. I was also a big fan of dual blisters anyway.

I don't think they do:

Minutemen Box
Major Luna
Gorgos Pilot
Gecko Pilot
O-Yoroi Pilot

That's 5 new model releases, the repacks are added on top of that.

It has happened, does happen, and will happen regardless of how we "feel" about it?

11 minutes ago, Pierzasty said:

I don't think they do:

Minutemen Box
Major Luna
Gorgos Pilot
Gecko Pilot
O-Yoroi Pilot

That's 5 new model releases, the repacks are added on top of that.

I didn't mean this set, but they have in the past. Repacking 4 of the Muyibs into a box counted as a release the month they did it.

As long as they do the repacks like this month, separate from the regular releases, I've got no issue with it.

1 minute ago, Loki said:

Repacking 4 of the Muyibs into a box counted as a release theminth they did it.

Yeah, I remember that. Not a fan.

Pros and cons. Pro: probably slightly better value. Makes things easier for CB. Con: less flexible for consumer (me!). Limits or even eliminates a price point so $10 or so impulse buys are less common. 

7 minutes ago, MadHatTom said:

Pros and cons. Pro: probably slightly better value. Makes things easier for CB. Con: less flexible for consumer (me!). Limits or even eliminates a price point so $10 or so impulse buys are less common. 

As far as I know, they don't recall outdated product(which really should be the bigger issue for customers/shops IMO) so you can still get the singles as old stock from your LGS/Independent.

Hell even places like The Warstore still sell old stock. So if anyone wants "Jazz Hands" Interventor as a single model, she's still for sale there.

The original Interventor isn't discontinued, just the old male one.

10 minutes ago, IJW Wartrader said:

The original Interventor isn't discontinued, just the old male one.

Which is stupid as hell then.

"We need to do repacks to make things easier for customers and retailers."

"Except when it's models we like."

17 hours ago, AdmiralJCJF said:

Dactyl Engineer and Dactyl Doctor with 2 Yudbots in a single box.

I was annoyed when they did that in the past for Nomad as I already had a daktaris.

But I was pleased when I acquired other faction and they already had those Support Box.

4 hours ago, Kanluwen said:

Which is stupid as hell then.

"We need to do repacks to make things easier for customers and retailers."

"Except when it's models we like."

A few of the old models still sell very well. Classic Interventor holds up super well, while the Male old Interventor always looked like dogshit thanks to that giant gun. 

Sorta like how Catgirl Daktari still sells seperately. There's very few of these though, for our classic models.

There's no issue with repacks in my book.

Personally, I feel like repacks shouldn't be considered as a replacement for resculpts.

If something looks like shite or doesn't fit the line, just flipping resculpt it and be done with it.

I think CB needs to look at having optional parts if they're going to do away with single model blisters entirely. If I want say 2 shotgun ORCs I either have 2 HMG ORCs spare I didn't necessarily have a need for or I need to convert one of the HMG guys to a shotgun through various methods some of which may not be looked kindly upon by CB... 

Using @ChoKonnit's services would work fine for the first few people that want 2 shotgun ORCs but once he has 8 or 10 HMG ORCs sitting in a pile it wouldn't be viable for him to keep splitting ORC blisters for the one model that's really popular. (I'm not saying shotguns are actually more popular than HMG, this is just an example) 

Normally splitting does even out if the price is right.

Thankfully there aren't many boxes where much of it is completely unsellable.

I like repacking for more efficiency

I just dislike them taking up regular release slots.

Like those Dactyls. Hey here's two Steel Phalanx single blister releases! And now a repack of those blisters! Those should have been released like that in the first place, instead of pretending like ALEPH was properly supported with such thin releases.

(Yes, I do still feel that ALEPH is ridiculously under supported as a faction).

33 minutes ago, Solar said:

I like repacking for more efficiency

I just dislike them taking up regular release slots.

Like those Dactyls. Hey here's two Steel Phalanx single blister releases! And now a repack of those blisters! Those should have been released like that in the first place, instead of pretending like ALEPH was properly supported with such thin releases.

(Yes, I do still feel that ALEPH is ridiculously under supported as a faction).

But they aren't taking up regular release spots, we've got 5 brand new releases plus these repacks.

the main reason I dont like it is I assume it means those models getting repacked are a fair way off resculpt. outside of that it doesnt bother me and If it makes retailers jobs easier I am all for it.