TheEmptyRoad

FINALLY. Ariadna Info from the RPG.

142 posts in this topic

for those who cares, there were studies at NASA for the minimun required population in a "generational ship" (so a ship that travels 100+years to reach destination) and that magic number is 10.000 individuals, for our current technological level.

10.000 carefully selected individuals keep the genetic variations in the normal range for human race (so genetic disorders don't overcome the population).

frankly, the "lost technology" can't be applied to Ariadna. they never lost the technology they came with. memory banks still worked on the ship, and 3d printer and all machinery still worked.

Ariadna is "behind" other's people tech because they were too busy with wars, colonizing, surviving etc to invest many resources on non-urgent technology.

Why design spaceships when you have Antipodes out of your door? Why create Maya-like network when all your time is dedicated to surviving?

IMHO after the reunion, Ariadna has access to the same theorical knlowledge of other factions, but since they have a low population, and more pressing matters, they don't find many ways to apply this knowledge.

Example:

a Doctor of 21st century can be approximated to a Paramedic from the future. The fact that Ariadna have Doctor means that they have medicines and theorical knowledge on par with other faction.

I would argue a modern doctor would be at apothcary level to these doctors. Oh your body is failing, lets hook you up and transfer your conciousness while we fix it, you know,  just in case

4 hours ago, Wombat85 said:

I would argue a modern doctor would be at apothcary level to these doctors. Oh your body is failing, lets hook you up and transfer your conciousness while we fix it, you know,  just in case

All we see in Infinity is the combat medicine, though, which is not the same thing as transferring consciousness (though cubes seem to give people increased resistance to brain trauma). 

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 2:25 AM, IJW Wartrader said:

Aforeseeablensupport up actual research on space colonies. I've posted l inksead. 20-40k colonists is already an 'astoundingly large'have colony.

For what it's worth, a 100k initial colony and with a high-end 3.2% growth rate across the ~140 years of the colony gives an end population of ~8.2m.

Those studies are invalid since they arent similar situations. For one, they assume you have contact and physical suport from Earth. Which was not the case with Dawn. Even if the second ship haad arrived, there was no way for the colony to communicate or have help from Earth. They were going to be on their own for the forseeable future.

You need to have a situation where the colony is completely cutoff.

So you haven't read any of the links I've provided? OK.

I know how you feel IJW, half the people commenting in this thread clearly haven't read the links I've provided either, judging by their timely ability to repeat the exact same points and questions covered pages ago.  

Nevermind, I had a comprehension issue due to a grammatical curiosity.

On 19.4.2017 at 9:45 AM, Daboarder said:

well it wouldnt be the first time that humanity stuck a bunch of people on a ship and sent them off into the unknown with no guarantee of further contact or even survival or food.

Read the history of the First Fleet, thats pretty much one of the largest, most amazing migration epics in human history and that it didnt result in the horrible deaths of all involved is astounding.

what Im arguing is that dawn, essentially was the first fleet, and the aurora was the second. What CB is then doing is essentially creating a story where the second fleet never showed up. 

OFF TOPIC: Only a small percentage of the people who invaded Australia came with the first fleet. Also, you will find many other very amazing migration epic. For example, Maoris migrating to NZ. Also, the first fleet was certainly not sending people into the unknown because Cook had prepared the invasion with all those fantastic maps he drew.

On 19.4.2017 at 9:49 AM, Hecaton said:

Considering Infinity intentionally evokes and replays history in a sci-fi setting that sounds accurate. The only thing that bothers me is the casting of the Native American analogs as explicitly non-human; one of those awkward science fiction tropes where white is the 'default' and the nonhuman races represent non-whites. 

I had a similar reaction to yours when I first read the Ariadna background. The story clearly sounds like an analogy to the theme of European invaders vs. Native people. I found it problematic that it the description of the antipodes is a bit confusing when it comes to their intelligence. Sometimes they are described as little more than dogs, at other times they are shown as intelligent beings using tools and having an advanced social structure. I also didn t like it that they are sometimes described as the aggressors in the conflict.

Then I realized the way Iinfinity background is written. Often it is written as propaganda pieces of the relevant faction. Also, all factions in Infinity have skeletons in their closets. In the case of Ariadna, it is the Antipodes. 

So yes, there is resemblance to European invasions of Americaor Australia. But the Antipodes are distinct from the Native people of those places. The story dictates that they can t be human. I don t think that CB implies that Native Americans or Australian Aborigonals are not fully human. Ok, I have to admit this topic still iritates me.

On 4/22/2017 at 4:07 AM, prophetofDoom said:

I found it problematic that it the description of the antipodes is a bit confusing when it comes to their intelligence. Sometimes they are described as little more than dogs, at other times they are shown as intelligent beings using tools and having an advanced social structure. I also didn t like it that they are sometimes described as the aggressors in the conflict.

The Antipodes Intelligence is deliberately ambiguous, given their tripartite nature.

They are in fact the aggressors, first contact was when a group of Antipodes attacked a scientific expedition (and killed several members) that had unknowingly crossed into their territory. Being mistaken for hostile wildlife, the Rangers were given orders to shoot on sight. By the time Ariadna (helped by the efforts of Amanda Greene and Gentle Leaf) realized what they were dealing with it was too late, the Antipodes had sworn bloody vengeance (even though they technically started it).

1 hour ago, TheEmptyRoad said:

The Antipodes Intelligence is deliberately ambiguous, given their tripartite nature.

They are in fact the aggressors, first contact was when a group of Antipodes attacked a scientific expedition (and killed several members) that had unknowingly crossed into their territory. Being mistaken for hostile wildlife, the Rangers were given orders to shoot on sight. By the time Ariadna (helped by the efforts of Amanda Greene and Gentle Leaf) realized what they were dealing with it was too late, the Antipodes had sworn bloody vengeance (even though they technically started it).

Maybe the antipodes also mistook the humans for wildlife?

On 23.4.2017 at 10:43 PM, TheEmptyRoad said:

Trespassing in ignorance is by no means legal. With the facts you just presented the Ariadnan settlers are a hostile body in a functional ecosystem. If the habitants of the ecosystem decide to deal with them through extreme prejudice, that is simply fair game. After all that is a preferable outcome compared to the space plague, mutating native viruses and what not. Tough luck for the newcomers, but they should have checked more in depth. Other than that it's survival of the fittest and they ended up coexisting. Concerning each and every scenario Humans are hostile invaders on Dawn. Your point of view illustrates perfectly that winners write history though. Everything is a grey mesh, black and white doesn't exist in a reality where the ones in power decide which shade of grey they'd like to enforce as black and white.

On 25/4/2017 at 11:43 AM, Teslarod said:

and they ended up coexisting.

you and me have a veeeery different idea of "coexisting". Humans and cows are not "coexisting", since coexisting base is a paceful co-habitation.

btw, weren't antipodes an uplifting experiment of the tohaa? so that's why the 3 number and all the bio-compatibility with humans. Tohaa wanted speciment from earth, and what better to put them all on the same terrarium with the other uplifted race?

just make some genetic modification to a virus, and voilà, you got dogfaces.

Humanity reached Dawn before that Tohaa had concluded the experiment, so they were forced to show up to humanity.

but i'm pretty sure that Tohaa are using Vat-Grown Dogfaces/Antipodes on some forgotten planet against EI.

I had brought that up earlier in the thread, but the problem is that none of that is confirmed information.  It's implied and suggested that the antipodes are a Tohaa experiment - and by extension, the dog faces and wulvers are an attempt to bio-engineer better human soldiers -- but is just speculation and potentialities.

20 minutes ago, McClendon said:

I had brought that up earlier in the thread, but the problem is that none of that is confirmed information.  It's implied and suggested that the antipodes are a Tohaa experiment - and by extension, the dog faces and wulvers are an attempt to bio-engineer better human soldiers -- but is just speculation and potentialities.

Dog-faces and Wulvers are a more likely an unexpected byproduct of (alleged) Tohaa tampering. the virus works on Antipodes as well, producing ever larger and more aggressive members of the species as pregnant females are the only survivors of tribal conflicts sooner or later they'd have be perfect shock troops in the event of exultation. that this tampering also proved to be effective on humans is just a bonus

2 hours ago, McClendon said:

1 hour ago, Saint said:

Dog-faces and Wulvers are a more likely an unexpected byproduct of (alleged) Tohaa tampering. the virus works on Antipodes as well, producing ever larger and more aggressive members of the species as pregnant females are the only survivors of tribal conflicts sooner or later they'd have be perfect shock troops in the event of exultation. that this tampering also proved to be effective on humans is just a bonus

These implications from a fluff perspective are kinda funny when you think about the relatively warm relationship between the player communities of Ariadna and Tohaa. #TeamTohiadna #Antela #Narooma

Not so much @TheEmptyRoad as is implied heavily in the Fluff that EVERIDAY "Tohaa Streetperson" is not on the same level of the "Evil Illuminati Masterminds" behind every shittiness implied in the Background of the Space Artichokes...

The normal Tohaa Soldier of the Kamaels / Makauls units I think has been VERY relieved when news filtered down all around the Borders Battlezone that ANOTHER Intelligent Humanoid Specie (or from their point of view "Tohaa-Id Specie") has been reached and has joined the fray against "Big Alien Brother"...

Also "Organic Plant Harvester" Jon Doe on backward Agriworld N.351263 still safe behind the lines (but with maybe one of his old Tri-Mates from College Days serving in the Frontline Gao-Tarsos and se emotionally invested in the conflict even beyond mere "We Lose, We becme ALL filthy Sygmaa Traitors.....at best" !!) will also be elated that there are news around that some of these weird but interesting "Hoomanz" have whole Clans devoted to further exploring all manners of Biogenetics and would jump at the mere prospect of "sampling" the discoveries of Haqqislamites (Regeneration Battle-Eugenics and Viral Weaponry on par with their own) and Nomads of Bakunin (that are developing their own Exaltation Process in the form of Pupniks)...

It is their shady, hidden "Massonic Shadow Government" that order all around nastyness; if somehow the Truth of what happened on Paradiso the the Second Human Colony Ship will reach the Tohaa People at large there will be an uproar, much as if any of the Western Nations of our world will start to employ weaponized plagues to infect the Allies of Middle-East "Just In The Case Some Daesh Soldiers Will Be Infected Too"...

It is the same as if in Panoceania EVERY frickin Military Operation is done to cover up the mishaps of High Executives of the Exahedron, all the while with dumb Military Order P.R. Persons appearing on newscast and reporting "Everything Is Good And Fine" (Yu-Jing State of Police is different, they don't hide much, but rather revel in their perceived ruthlessness)...

I have to brush a little the Sygmaa Background but I believe they were "Fringe Elements" of the Tohaa Culture that were put on the path of the most devastating Combined Army Onslaught and said to die for the "Cause" as the Enemy will likely enslave them with all sort of cyber-controls; instead they were sacrificial pawns gladly burned away to allow the relocation of precious resources of those "Hidden Masters of the Triumvirate"...

This is not the case of the Eldar "Space Elves" of Games Workshop Warhammer 40.000 that even for the best mannered of them regard Humans as "Primitive Monkeys fit only to die in droves NOW to protect a single Eldar somewhere in the NEXT three Centuries"...

The typical Tohaa that could be buddy up with the Human Forces will be all "Hey, let's Kick together some Cosmo-Baboon Ass, squash the Slimy Shas space eggs and also paint silly graffiti on that Avatar bullet-ridden junked hulk" and not be all moustache-twirling "Cartoon Villain" thinking of the all the Terran Fools that are to be slapped around as meatshields just because "For Shit and Giggles".....!!!