Antenociti

AW Kit Building Instructions

8 posts in this topic

General repository for all of our kit building instructions

http://www.barrule.com/blog/category/articles/kit-instructions/designed-for-infinity-products/

These are now starting to include the Undertown Buildings

Please note that instructions for the Kickstarter "Forward Base" Habitats are NOT included here - those of the retail versions will be added as those products go out to retail.

Please leave comments for any missing instructions (for Infinity products only please)

Your instruction don't say a thing regarding the signs & banners, is there specific instruction for them (kind of glue to use...) ?

I recommend basic white glue (aka PVA) for acrylic-to-other joints, like windows in an MDF building.  Superglue will fog the acrylic!

For acrylic-to-acrylic, you can actually use something like Plastruct Plastiweld or another thin model cement.  The magic ingredient is Methylene Chloride, which will dissolve the acrylic a bit and fuse the two pieces together.  You will probably need to lightly sand the joints, though, to give the glue something to grab onto.  But you need to be careful with model cement, it can also fog the acrylic if you use too much of it.

19 hours ago, Section 9 said:

You will probably need to lightly sand the joints, though, to give the glue something to grab onto. 

Is that for the solvent or the PVA? Because "glues" that melt should not require sanding... worse, such sanding could leave crap and make the joint more visible than needed; so if sanding, down to smoothest and to remove tooling marks. And to confirm, Weld On 16 instructions says nothing about sanding, but it mentions "clean".

4 hours ago, Mob of Blondes said:

Is that for the solvent or the PVA? Because "glues" that melt should not require sanding... worse, such sanding could leave crap and make the joint more visible than needed; so if sanding, down to smoothest and to remove tooling marks. And to confirm, Weld On 16 instructions says nothing about sanding, but it mentions "clean".

Solvent.  The glue recommended by Litko Aerosystems for their acrylic tokens recommends sanding the edges and I have had adhesion problems when I didn't sand contact surfaces (both with the Litko glue and with Plastruct PlastiWeld, though more with the Litko glue than with Plastiweld).

I've had good and fog-less luck with the BSI Super-Gold Odorless CA glue with my Undertown acrylic -- the door construction involves clear acrylic sandwiched between MDF frames, and three buildings in none of the doors have fogged up after a couple dots of Super-Gold to hold their frames in place.

Worked well for the acrylic in the Tri-Ad and Bus Station builds too.

The stuff's on the expensive side, but it works great and sets very quickly.

FYI what fog's acrylic when using superglue is the fumes during the initial curing of the glue.  If you put what you've glued next to a fan for like 5 min after gluing you'll prevent the frosting.