Jassal2.0

Link Team with MSV L1 Being Shot Through No Vis Zone

Question

Hey there! Had a few questions from last night:

Here's the situation: A link-team of 5 Riot Grrls is moving down an alley. At the end of the alley, a Jaguar Smoke Dodges. The Riot Grrls continue to move down the alley and the next ARO comes from an Intruder HMG. The Intruder declares he will shoot the link-team leader. With the second half of the Order, the link-team shoots back at the Intruder.

1) The Riot Grrls ignore the penalty to being shot through a No Visibility Zone because of SS L2, but does their MSV L1 still work against the Intruder's camo?

2) What should the final BS be for the Riot Grrl? 13+3 (Link)+3 (Range)-3(Cover) is that correct?

3) There's an enemy Zero with Repeaters within ZoC but can't draw LoF. Can he drop a repeater in reaction? 

4) On the reactive turn, if the Riot Grrls were shot through smoke, only the Grrls who had Burst allocated to them would be able to return fire?

Thanks in the advance! I searched up, but couldn't find anything relevant.

11 answers to this question

1. Yes, why wouldn't it?

2. Yes.

3. What are the Requirements for placing a Deployable Repeater in ARO?

4. It's the same in both turns, only the targets can shoot back through a Zero Visibility Zone. If the Intruder had decided to shoot someone other than the Team Leader, the Leader wouldn't have been able to shoot the Intruder.

Also, to save yourself a lot of grief and confusion down the line, there's no such thing as a 'Smoke Dodge', just a BS Attack with the Special Dodge Trait. ;) 

46 minutes ago, IJW Wartrader said:

1. Yes, why wouldn't it?

2. Yes.

3. What are the Requirements for placing a Deployable Repeater in ARO?

4. It's the same in both turns, only the targets can shoot back through a Zero Visibility Zone. If the Intruder had decided to shoot someone other than the Team Leader, the Leader wouldn't have been able to shoot the Intruder.

Also, to save yourself a lot of grief and confusion down the line, there's no such thing as a 'Smoke Dodge', just a BS Attack with the Special Dodge Trait. ;) 

3. It's considered an attack, isn't it? So LoF required. I'm asking. Bit iffy on deployables in the reactive turn to be honest. 

As for the MSV, it just seems non-intuitive. How does it counter camo if you can't see through the smoke? Just hard to conceptualize.

Re Smoke: Does that mean it benefits from Link Team bonuses?

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Deployable_Repeater

'REQUIREMENTS

In the Reactive Turn, LoF with the Active trooper is required.'

Zoc but no LoF isn't enough.

And yes, BS Attacks benefit from the relevant Fireteam bonuses, that's why calling it a Smoke Dodge can cause problems... ;) 

27 minutes ago, Jassal2.0 said:

As for the MSV, it just seems non-intuitive. How does it counter camo if you can't see through the smoke? Just hard to conceptualize.

It's a game rule thing more than a realism thing, by the same token you could argue that the Intruder's camouflage shouldn't benefit him if the target can't see him because of the smoke. 

21 minutes ago, Col said:

It's a game rule thing more than a realism thing, by the same token you could argue that the Intruder's camouflage shouldn't benefit him if the target can't see him because of the smoke. 

Yeah, smacking that, "I believe," button.

@IJW Wartrader Thanks. 

6 hours ago, IJW Wartrader said:

can we get bostria to get this tattooed on his forehead for the benefit of the community?

1 hour ago, Locksmith said:

7KsMCdo.jpg

I have been trying very hard to switch to "Throw smoke" or "drop smoke" during games.

Smoke Dodge was just such a thing for awhile! Even if it was wrong (but, do I even want to be right?)

4 minutes ago, Globemaster said:

I have been trying very hard to switch to "Throw smoke" or "drop smoke" during games.

Smoke Dodge was just such a thing for awhile! Even if it was wrong (but, do I even want to be right?)

Unless I'm playing against someone I know has a similar grasp on the rules as myself I use "BS Attack with Smoke" or "shoot with smoke" just to be extra clear and get in good habits 

1 hour ago, Globemaster said:

'throw smoke' is probably the best compromise, but anything that doesn't use the word dodge is better than smoke dodge. I can't tell you how many times people have asked me 'can I smoke-dodge a flamethrower'... which is clearly no, but no one ever asked that question who hadn't been taught to say 'smoke dodge'. 

On 14/04/2017 at 3:02 PM, Jassal2.0 said:

IMHO, they can shoot back because of Sixth Sense - not MSV - so I always imagine one of the other fireteam members shouting "Incoming!" moments before, (simplistic I know, but it works for me); the trooper realises roughly where the enemy is, (with help from their friends), and then their MSV takes care of negating all of the camoflague.