Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sedral

Feeling and Ideas about rules

Rules improvements   56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think some rules could be improved/clarified?

• Yes, there's always room for improvements!
    • Nah i like it how it is now. Leave the rules alone you dweeb!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Hachiman Taro said:

Targetless weapons target a specific horizontal point on the play surface.

And they cannot be thrown to higher elevation without speculetive fire (to stop throwing smoke on "roof edge"). 

We are probably due for another re-evaluation of all the special rules to minimize and/or eliminate exceptions to general operations, getting all the stuff added since N3 to all work the same damn way.  Like I commented earlier, while I'd love for there to be a chance for two shooters to double-kill each other, that goes against the very cinematic crossed swords mechanic in CC, and critical hits ALWAYS need to work the same way.

While the exact rules escape me at the moment, there are a few rules that work differently from their close comrades, and that shit needs to stop.

We probably need to either lump Protheion and Guard into the basic CC tables, or make one big combined CC table that includes everything, for example, and include that table in ALL the CC-related skills wiki entries.

5 hours ago, Section 9 said:

While the exact rules escape me at the moment, there are a few rules that work differently from their close comrades, and that shit needs to stop.

We probably need to either lump Protheion and Guard into the basic CC tables, or make one big combined CC table that includes everything, for example, and include that table in ALL the CC-related skills wiki entries.

I think it goes in line with the "too much hacking/Weapon/Skill option" issue that other people have expressed.

CB initially did a great job by giving the same name and profile to different weapons/skills across the factions: a combi-rifle is a combi-rifle, even though the design on the miniature changes the rules remain the same. Same for Martial Art, CC training might be different from one faction to another, but knights and samurai are using the same skill to display their CC superiority.

Yet, we have rules like Guard/Protheion that represents specific combat style (dog/space-vampire), or 3 different versions of shotgun (light, boarding, heavy), with two others variations of the boarding shotgun that use different ammo (vulkan and T2).

So, the question is, how much is too much? You, @Section 9, do you think it would be ok to replace all CC charts by the martial art one, and then (eventually) add skills on top of it for the flavour (ex: protheion = if you wound your opponent in CC you gain 1W)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the topic of change facing, i've gave it a second though. It's intended design, ok i got it, i understand. Now, i also have a problem with the way stealth has to be discarded to make it work. A soldier that decides to be noisy and make the ennemy aware of his position so he can sneak upon said ennemy doesn't make any sense.

From a gameplay perspective, If this is supposed to be intended game design, and if some units are SUPPOSED to use it because they're balanced with this in mind, then it SHOULD be intuitive. But a skill that you have to decide not to use to gain an advantage in a situation where the skill would logically give you an advantage is just counter-intuitive (same problem with MML1 against bio-immunity units like bolts, it represents accuracy and the ability to make every shots a deadly one, and yet you do more damage by suddenly deciding that shooting the guy in the head is overrated and a bullet in the arm will do?)

It's @alphz (i think?) who submitted the idea that stealth could give the advantage of the change-facing trick. The idea is just to add the following to the existing rules:

- While in ZoC of an ennemy unit, if the second short-skill of the order makes your active Turn unit enter the LoF of said unit, then it can only react with change facing (he is taken by surprise and can't react properly).

Boom, it's logical and intuitive. You keep the intended design rule, though you make it a little more restrictive, which means that if you think a unit needs it, you just have to give it stealth.

There's still the issue with smoke + MSV2 in ZoC that keeps interacting weirdly with stealth. This can be fixed by applying my first proposition (I.E: you only lose aro option you could declare).