Sedral

Feeling and Ideas about rules

Rules improvements   57 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think some rules could be improved/clarified?

• Yes, there's always room for improvements!
    • Nah i like it how it is now. Leave the rules alone you dweeb!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

81 posts in this topic

Back to the very original post - I was just having a conversation at my game last night about the degree of complexity in the game.  My opponent was pointing out that most battle reports, even ones from fairly experienced players, tend to have a few minor rules errors.  I think this is indicative of the game's rules being too sprawling and complex.

I really like Infinity, and I enjoy the tactical complexity that drives it.  But there are a lot of rules that cost more in terms of memory and understanding than they provide in terms of interesting complexity.  Note that I said interesting complexity.  N3 has done a lot to make the game tighter, but there are still a lot of rules that exist primarily to grant flavor and color to the factions and units rather than providing meaningful depth of play.  The core N3 book looked like they were paring a lot of that back, but HSN3 was much more lenient on what they allowed through.  For example, the core book dropped Coma (only on Daturazi, allowed them to go unconscious and become Sepsitor repeaters), but HSN3 left in Biolocator (only on Kuang Shi, turns them into repeaters and allows them to be targeted by friendly weapons).

I'm not going to come up with a complete list of rules I think are redundant, but I do think they exist.

1 hour ago, ToadChild said:

Back to the very original post - I was just having a conversation at my game last night about the degree of complexity in the game.  My opponent was pointing out that most battle reports, even ones from fairly experienced players, tend to have a few minor rules errors.  I think this is indicative of the game's rules being too sprawling and complex.

[snipped for space]

I'm not going to come up with a complete list of rules I think are redundant, but I do think they exist.

Yeah, I agree with this.  Need to go through and get all the rules mechanically working the same way, get the terminology standardized, and need to pare down the number of rules that don't do much for gameplay.

16 hours ago, ToadChild said:

I wish you could proactively declare defensive hacking programs instead of having to wait until you are targeted by a hacking attack.  It interacts poorly with the ARO declaration sequence.

I think this is one of the redeeming factors for Whd, I presume Dhd will either all become whd or get the same quasi ssl2.

Edit: In fact is cyber alert a rule that could just be replaced with ssl2? It would be a marginal buff but should trim the rules slightly.

1 hour ago, Spears said:

I think this is one of the redeeming factors for Whd, I presume Dhd will either all become whd or get the same quasi ssl2.

Edit: In fact is cyber alert a rule that could just be replaced with ssl2? It would be a marginal buff but should trim the rules slightly.

Most DHD profiles have SSL1 and are in factions with very limited access to repeaters. So it's more of a theoretical issue than it's an actual one anyway for DHDs. OTOH on EVOs and HD+s it's an actual issue. 

But yeah, removing the requirement to be the target of a hacking attack would go a long way to improving those. There's a whole thread on ways of 'improving hacking', which usually includes some 'just get rid of the meaningless complexity of programmes' (Icebreaker vs Stop! is my pet hate).

I kinda hope the book after the next will be N3 master edition, revised - with all supplementary books included, a second cleanup pass for all these niggly rules things and some new sectorials to boot.

I just know that would end up as N4 though. And we'd start the circle again.

3 hours ago, Hachiman Taro said:

I kinda hope the book after the next will be N3 master edition, revised - with all supplementary books included, a second cleanup pass for all these niggly rules things and some new sectorials to boot.

I just know that would end up as N4 though. And we'd start the circle again.

i hope that the core rules will get updated only on the wiki.

if they want to make something for the new players (or for those without constant access to internet) they could make a "printable version" button on the wiki, that basically get all the articles in the wiki on a pdf.

after that, you only need to update the entries on the wiki, and the new player wil already get the new rules.

books IMHO should be only for new rules, new units, fluff, unit design and pretty illustration.