AdmiralJCJF

Aristeia!

714 posts in this topic

I'm guessing a low-key ripoff of this game, with carry over experience for player's "gladiators" between rounds in Aristeia tourneys.

Spartacuscontents.jpg

5 minutes ago, Dasaan said:

I'm guessing a low-key ripoff of this game, with carry over experience for player's "gladiators" between rounds in Aristeia tourneys.

Spartacuscontents.jpg

I know the guys who designed this, and it's a lot of fun to play.

If Aristeia! does end up being similar then I'll be pretty happy.

I'd rather get some more infinity miniatures. But , it's a good business idea to market something more accessible which could lead more players to infinity proper.  And it may be a fun game in its own right. 

I wonder if this is going to use tokens or !?Plastics?!!! for the contestants to make it more appealing to casual players who aren't interested in assembling minis.

I know a few people who have got into Guild Ball off the back of the preassembled plastics in their new starter box. Aristeia! could be a similar gateway drug into the Infinity universe.

For the record I love metal minis and the hobby part but I understand why some people just want to play a game without all the fiddly bits.

1 minute ago, smiler said:

I wonder if this is going to use tokens or !?Plastics?!!! for the contestants to make it more appealing to casual players who aren't interested in assembling minis.

I know a few people who have got into Guild Ball off the back of the preassembled plastics in their new starter box. Aristeia! could be a similar gateway drug into the Infinity universe.

For the record I love metal minis and the hobby part but I understand why some people just want to play a game without all the fiddly bits.

The middle road would be to ship low-cost printed cardboard cut-outs AND the higher-cost miniatures.

I just have a really hard time seeing CB release a game without minis. I honestly hope that they at least have a minis pack for aristiea that we have the option of getting on the side, because unless the board game is absolutely amazing, i will probably pass on it if it doesnt bring something to the table above other board games.

The middle road would be to ship low-cost printed cardboard cut-outs AND the higher-cost miniatures.

Possibly. I'm not sure CB would be happy with cutouts as representative of what they make but it would make sense, especially when it comes to cross purchasing from Infinity players. They already have Musashi and now Lunah up to modern standards, they could keep doing blister releases that work for Infinity.

They could also do boxes of combatants as upgrade packs to keep it simple for people who just want to play Aristeia!

I think that it would make more sense to go with proper infinity miniatures. Using card or plastics will not stand out as much from whats already out there whilst being less attractive to the bonded playerbase.

Given that it's Corvus Belli, and miniatures are part of their DNA, I'm expecting miniatures. 

I'm expecting minis, but not necessarily of the sort we're used to from CB. If they're aiming for bringing in actual board gamers  (vs. the minis crowd), simpler sculpts that don't require assembly would be wise. If they're contracting out the manufacture of this thing to a third party, I'm guessing they'll be some sort of plastic on hex bases...?

I'm expecting pre-assembled PVA plastic miniatures, although I think we'll get some of them as Infinity-type metal minis eventually. We already have at least one in Musashi and maybe another in Lunah.

I'd hope for two separate products. The game and a 4 model box of the characters that aren't Mushashi and Lunah, so that people who want to play the game with infinity figures can, whereas people who are afraid of superglue and paint are not forced to confront their inferiority.  Chuck in a preorder figure for the game (maybe something like Lunah in her dossier pose) and everyone wins.

9 hours ago, Dasaan said:

Isn't that a really bold prediction, even accusing ripoff, considering the amount of information you have in your hands?

Especially with CB's track record.

Well, Dark Souls The Board Game is a "low-key" rip off of Kingdom Death: Monster. Mechanics for the actual combats are similar, but goal and implementation differ sufficiently that they are very much different games (and both very good, by the way). Iterating on a mechanic is not bad, adapting it to a different circumstance and goal is of course better. Simply the fact that Kingdom Death shuffles the AI decks between cycles and Dark Souls does not mean that the games offer significantly different experiences and tactical depths.

CB does tend to go their own way, though, for better or worse*. We'll see.

* Better: new refreshing stuff! Worse: takes longer to iron out kinks.

3 minutes ago, Mahtamori said:

Dark Souls The Board Game

I really wish the models for it had been better, or I would have jumped in on it, as I love the video games. 

The idea of the merc teams for it sounds pretty cool. At first I was thinking it would be 1v1 and the idea didn't interest me, as it just doesn't sound fun. I doubt it will take many resources to work on it, and it shouldn't cut into the normal release schedule, apart from maybe the first release month. 

As long as we are throwing out wild rumors, I heard (just made up?) that they will be using forum personalities as Aristeia! players...Kan will be the first model released with two sets of arms. 

1 minute ago, JurisprudentiallyYours said:

As long as we are throwing out wild rumors, I heard (just made up?) that they will be using forum personalities as Aristeia! players...Kan will be the first model released with two sets of arms. 

What about the Marut? That one has two sets of arms.

2 hours ago, PsychoticStorm said:

Isn't that a really bold prediction, even accusing ripoff, considering the amount of information you have in your hands?

Especially with CB's track record.

Track record?

QM5uG7e.png

Glass houses, stones, etc. XD

@Pierzasty That game was made after Infinity. How is it a rip-off? Your reputation of high quality shit posts is in danger here.

Also, to the first reply on this topic, I am surprised you'd have such a negative tone in absence of evidence. It's quite irrelevant, that post.

11 hours ago, smiler said:

I'm expecting cards and cardboard, some plastic stands, but not plastic or metal minis. Seems more marketable to not have metal minis for a casual board game, because I don't see Corvus Belli making plastic minis without outsourcing (which they're not prone to do, showing preferences to keep things local, Spanish miniatures, self publishing Manga, using Spanish paints...). I also don't see it, or rather hope it doesn't, taking the place of a big box release like the USAriadna or Icestorm, rather expecting a new Spec-Ops line with the Nexus and hopefully Acheron Falls. Maybe the Kriza Boracs. So some self published, FFG-esque casual thing to introduce to board game players is what I'm picturing.

If it's a board game its probably entirely outsourced anyway.