Barrin

Is my conversion recognizable?

16 posts in this topic

When you make a conversion, you might end up wondering if it's recognizable enough to be tournament legal eventually. At least I came to this question and so I made this thread.

Feel free not only coment the conversions but also post your own.

Starting with my latest piece... What Infinity profile might be represented by this conversion and why?

IMG_20170506_163406.jpg

Spoiler contains the reasoning behind all this...

Spoiler

It is supposed to be an Avatar proxy model. Reasoning behind this is that Lizard pilot was sepsitorized well enough to grant him some extra abilities. The Charontid mini is representing that state as some "ghostly" visualization of EI controling the machine. The TAG mini itself is exactly the same hight as S7 profile of Avatar which originally has just too huge model for that.

As a conversion, it's awesome.

As for tournament clarity, it has none. I'd just treat it as a generic TAG proxy.

17 hours ago, Pierzasty said:

As a conversion, it's awesome.

As for tournament clarity, it has none. I'd just treat it as a generic TAG proxy.

So assuming that it came to table with generic Combined army, standing on 55 mm base, containing no morat miniature, it should work surprisingly well. Thank you.

Sorry Barrin, completely WTF on my part.

What I see is a Charontid, that got A grades in gymnastics during school, jumping over a Lizard parkour style. :D 

I'm sorry Barrin, but your suggestion wasn't what came up to my mind when I saw the mini.  

It just looks like you tacked together two minis, 5yo kid with his parent's minis style.

You could emphasize the possession more by having the green from the Charontid spreading across the top part of the Salamander.

4 hours ago, Barrin said:

So assuming that it came to table with generic Combined army, standing on 55 mm base, containing no morat miniature, it should work surprisingly well. Thank you.

Just as well as any random CB-made stuff with S 7.

...what do Morats have to do with this, BTW?

Allright guys, you got me... but that was the whole point of it, so everything allright. It was the only way how to make a reasonable Avatar proxy from the stuff I had aviable at hand and at the same time not screwing up my Lizard for Nomad usage. (It's possible to simply pull Charontid out and leave the TAG unscratched.)

38 minutes ago, Pierzasty said:

Just as well as any random CB-made stuff with S 7.

...what do Morats have to do with this, BTW?

If I'm not mistaken, there are only two 55 mm base models in whole CA - Raicho and Avatar. Simple as that.

10 hours ago, Barrin said:

It's possible to simply pull Charontid out and leave the TAG unscratched.

Nice trick.

23 hours ago, Icarium said:

You could emphasize the possession more by having the green from the Charontid spreading across the top part of the Salamander Lizard.

fixed

22 hours ago, Barrin said:

Allright guys, you got me... but that was the whole point of it, so everything allright. It was the only way how to make a reasonable Avatar proxy from the stuff I had aviable at hand and at the same time not screwing up my Lizard for Nomad usage. (It's possible to simply pull Charontid out and leave the TAG unscratched.)

Ah, that would explain why you don't have the possession ghost-color on more of the Lizard...

I'd try to further ghostify the Charontid with some extra edge highlights or something, it doesn't look very ghostly right now.  Maybe drybrush with a mix of phosphorescent paint (which is off-white) and fluorescent green.  Just a little bit of the green, too, you're aiming for nearly white with the barest hint of green.  Probably 8-10 drops of white and one drop of green (a little fluorescent paint goes a LONG way!).

22 hours ago, Barrin said:

If I'm not mistaken, there are only two 55 mm base models in whole CA - Raicho and Avatar. Simple as that.

Yep, the only S7 models in the whole CA are the Raicho and Avatar.  The S6 models are the Sphinx, Xeodron, Overdron, and the Anathematic (didn't that thing used to be S2?!?).  Charontid and Sogarats are S5.  Nothing S4.  everything below that is pretty self-explanatory.

6 hours ago, Section 9 said:

Yep, the only S7 models in the whole CA are the Raicho and Avatar.  The S6 models are the Sphinx, Xeodron, Overdron, and the Anathematic (didn't that thing used to be S2?!?).

280630-0220-the-anathematics-plasma-rifl

I don't think so

The Anathematic is from a time before silhouettes, when you could leave your army cases unlocked without worrying about people stealing from it, and you had to walk through snow, rain, and blistering sunshine to get a game, and it was uphill both ways! 

29 minutes ago, Col said:

The Anathematic is from a time before silhouettes, when you could leave your army cases unlocked without worrying about people stealing from it, and you had to walk through snow, rain, and blistering sunshine to get a game, and it was uphill both ways! 

Chainfinity: The HMG days.

Those were the days, now everything SUCKS!

I suggest write "Avatar" at front of model base. I do such things with my bizarre models and so far any misunderstandings vanish on first look.

If you sat it down on the table with your CA and said, "This is to represent an Avatar, it's a TAG that's been possessed," I'd say, "Okay," and we'd play. It's the only non-CA model in your army, so it stands out. It has a dude floating over it, so it stands out. It's a unique model in your army, so it stands out. It's huge, so it stands out. Also, the base is the appropriate size and, with silhouettes, who cares if it fills out the space? So, all in all, I'd accept it as an Avatar proxy because it isn't even a little confusing with the caveat being that you have informed me that's what it is, because I wouldn't have guessed that first.