WiseKensai

WiseKensai's Nomad Batreps

39 posts in this topic

Here's two Deadly Dance games, which were really fun, super-bloody slogfests! The first is versus the Avatar, and the second versus an Uhlan list. Close games right down to the very end!

These games were both practice games for our September tournament:

Here was a quick practice game, played on a pretty awesome looking table. Only two batreps left in my backlog! I had good notes on this game, so I had the time to throw together a light story as a follow on to my other game of Armory. Usually I spend a bunch of time trying to reconstruct the game from photos and my spotty memory.

I hope you enjoy.

Aaaand backlog cleared! Phew! Time to go play more games, haha!

The first game is a great example of why you should watch your arcs, and the second is a good reminder to carefully play to the objective.

More Power Pack practice, trying out the Kriza for the first time!

I think I need start actually counting points at the top of turn 3 before I make any serious decisions.

New week, new scenario. This time we were practicing Acquisition. Pretty interesting scenario, it's really swingy and basically comes down to whether or not you can keep your opponent's datatracker off the center objective after beep booping the flank buttons.

And a quick bonus batrep from a YAMS game I played after my game versus NCA.

The one in which I live the dream of coordinated order Panzerfaust.

Power Pack's deployment zones make Hellcats with heavy weapons really strong, and Tomcats somehow even more useful. I could probably downgrade the Hellcat from an HMG to a Spitfire in the list I took, but I'd miss the option of having the E/Mauler.

Got a practice game of The Grid in. Man, is this mission complicated and fun! Lots of moving pieces, significant pressure on list building and redundancy, and interesting choices forced by saturation zones. Morlocks still are good at stabbing things though.

This mission requires some serious practice, but I think going first is really the right call, at least based on my sample size of one so far! =P

I appreciate your reports! I don't make it to other shops in the meta often, its a good read to see what other peeps may bring to the monthly events!

Been meaning to get back into sectorials and link teams for awhile, and finally had the opportunity.

Corregidor makes sense... but I'm going to need more time with Bakunin (which isn't surprising since I started the game with Corregidor way back in N2). These batreps record the first time a 5-man Wildcat link has hit the table for me, and my first try at Bakunin ever.  Enjoy!

Two swinging games that, haha, welcome to the realm of linked teams dude! 

Did you miss your vanilla toy access? 

21 hours ago, SevenSins said:

Two swinging games that, haha, welcome to the realm of linked teams dude! 

Thanks, haha! I felt pretty good after the first game, then not so much after the second one. And I had forgotten what full 5-man links were like to pilot on the table. Giant, blobby messes to move around, but man do they kill stuff good.

Next tournament is an escalation tournament, so I'm torn between Bakunin, Corregidor, and Vanilla now. 

21 hours ago, SevenSins said:

Did you miss your vanilla toy access? 

No, not really, but I don't think they were representative games. The Corregidor game was YAMS, and I was basically trying to get up the field and murder everything, so a Wildcat Core + Massacre Haris was quite good at that.

In my second game I think I missed my usual hacking toolbox of Bandit KHD + Zero AHD + Interventor HD+, but I have access to all those hacking devices in Bakunin. Really I just should've taken a two Custodier Haris (AHD, HD+, Kusanagi) and that would've solved my problem. Or found room for a Zero AHD. Either one, really.

I think in the long run, I'll miss Morans, Jaguars, and AD if I'm playing Bakunin, and I'll miss Morlocks and HD+ in Corregidor. Honestly, of the two sectorials, I think Corregidor is more hampering to my vanilla playstyle than Bakunin.

These days I've been relying heavily on Morlocks to do a lot of my alpha striking. While Tomcats/Hellcats are amazing, losing smoke and effectively contributing 0 orders to movement when they come in is frustrating. One could make the argument that with AD, I get exactly where I want to be, but that's almost never the case. You almost always have to come in 1-2 orders away from where you want to be to avoid giving free AROs.

Yeah, I have to run up the field with my Morlocks too, and I understand that it all washes out to be about the same in order count (probably more in the Morlocks case), but it just feels cheaper and more efficient with Morlocks. Probably because I'm not burning brain power on finding a good hole for AD, and because I've been crutching on Morlocks  a lot lately. I had a good game making really good use of Morlocks and Tomcats that I'm writing up, look for that soon.

And @SevenSins, thanks for dropping by to leave a comment! I'm glad folks are reading/enjoying. Hopefully these reports are useful to newer folks learning the game or folks looking to get into Nomads.