Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bosshog

Maakrep HMG: is he needed ??

20 posts in this topic

Up to now, I never left the Maakrep with HMG home. His main role: camo hunter. Especially when I expect TO camo HI`s ...

It costs a lot, also in terms of SWC.

My question: is there any other way to counter to-camo or camo HI`s ?? I could eventually invest the SWC`s in something else.

Thanks

Anything with Grenades or a DTW work just fine. 

Maybe an intensive use of our drones: M-Drone and R-Drone. More cheaper, faster and no SWC cost included. If u go first u can spam sniffer along your half part of the table and then activate Sensor skill. No one can hide from your army. In addition, R-Drone are repeater too, so u can react with appropriate hacking AROs.

My two cent: in a vanilla CA there's only one camo-hunter: the Charontids. B) In comparison to him, Maakreps/Yaogats are little "hunter-wannabe" XD But they work well with him for sure.

1 hour ago, ItsUncertainWho said:

Anything with Grenades or a DTW work just fine. 

Sorry, I didn`t get it...

Why granades?? Please explain be better... Remember that a Swiss Guard has ARM5 and BTS6

What`s a DTW ??

1 hour ago, Captain Leonatos said:

Maybe an intensive use of our drones: M-Drone and R-Drone. More cheaper, faster and no SWC cost included. If u go first u can spam sniffer along your half part of the table and then activate Sensor skill. No one can hide from your army

Yes, that would be a way to get chances of revealing them... Now lets say that I discovered the above mentioned Swiss Guard and I want to annihilate him... If I want to shoot him I have huge modifiers without MSV.

I normally play Onyx... so no Charontids available (I will think about a vanilla list anyway). If I stay tuned on Onyx, I need some different unit or weapon to counter that TO-camo HI.

DTW = Direct Template Weapon. The Ikadrons' two Light Flamethrowers being the weapon of choice, although obviosly you need to get them up the table first.

Grenades are a bit of a no-no in Onyx as they're only on the Maakrep Hacker.

Personally I just use a Rodok HMG in a Fireteam: Core, or preferably a Unidron with Plasma Sniper Rifle and Marksmanship in a Fireteam: Core.

I'd guess in Onyx, you could also try the monofilament CCW of either Speculo or the Samaritan in close combat.

Versus any form of TO without MSV, (my normal army is caledonia - almost no MSV in that sectorial!), I tend to either favour close-combat or weight of dice, (or both!).

7 minutes ago, IJW Wartrader said:

DTW = Direct Template Weapon. The Ikadrons' two Light Flamethrowers being the weapon of choice, although obviosly you need to get them up the table first.

Thanks... Yes the Ikadrons are interesting. Also the Suryat have light flamers... The DTW give a free shoot in ARO, that means very high chance to loose my unit against a BS15 HI...

7 minutes ago, IJW Wartrader said:

Personally I just use a Rodok HMG in a Fireteam: Core, or preferably a Unidron with Plasma Sniper Rifle and Marksmanship in a Fireteam: Core.

Let`s think about the Unidron link (the Rodok one is expensive and I would like to add a TAG to the list):

+3WIP to discover, +3BS, +1B, Sixth sense l2

In a typical case, an Unidron fires against a Swiss Guard (or Hac Tao) at 11 +3 (link) +3 (range) -6 (To-camo) -3 (coverage) = 8 even if with B3.

The target can shoot back at 15 +0 (let`s say I am lucky with the range) -3 (coverage) = 12 (even 15 when in +3 range) (in few cases I can discover at high range and give him -3)

It isn`t a good situation for a firefight, isn`t it?

In this case a MSV Maakrep hits on 12 and has a higher burst... That`s what I mean...

28 minutes ago, mightymuffin said:

I'd guess in Onyx, you could also try the monofilament CCW of either Speculo or the Samaritan in close combat.

The Samaritan is a good CC killer, you´re right...and also the Legates... They are options I got to consider. They are also good hackers, and that`s another option, also from outside of enemy LoF...

But they got to move carefully (or using impersonation) because shooting ARO from such HI`s are very dangerous...

Marksmanship on th Unidron will also be ignoring the BS penalty for Partial Cover, so it's going to be B3 BS11 against B1 BS15 if you're engaging from within their +3 range, and B1 BS12 if they're not. Given how hard plasma hits and Dogged on the Unidron and I'd happily take those odds.

3 minutes ago, IJW Wartrader said:

Marksmanship on th Unidron will also be ignoring the BS penalty for Partial Cover, so it's going to be B3 BS11 against B1 BS15 if you're engaging from within their +3 range, and B1 BS12 if they're not. Given how hard plasma hits and Dogged on the Unidron and I'd happily take those odds.

Marksmanship...right... not a bad consideration.

Yes, that's why I mentioned it the first time. ;)

53 minutes ago, mightymuffin said:

Speculo is not available in Onyx.

1 hour ago, IJW Wartrader said:

This^

I love the Maakrep, it's an awesome mini, but it's easily my last choice in the entire Onyx faction. I just see MSV2 on such a generic profile and without access to smoke as... useless (points better spent elsewhere).

EDIT: I also almost never leave home without a Legate. So CC can be an option.

1 hour ago, Bosshog said:

Sorry, I didn`t get it...

Why granades?? Please explain be better... Remember that a Swiss Guard has ARM5 and BTS6

What`s a DTW ??

Yes, that would be a way to get chances of revealing them... Now lets say that I discovered the above mentioned Swiss Guard and I want to annihilate him... If I want to shoot him I have huge modifiers without MSV.

I normally play Onyx... so no Charontids available (I will think about a vanilla list anyway). If I stay tuned on Onyx, I need some different unit or weapon to counter that TO-camo HI.

Swiss Guard can be roasted by hacking attack, guided weapons (T-Drones) or even with targeting. If you can "sense" her through sniffer and/or sensor area, you can make a Sat-Lock attempt. With targeting bonus it's more simple to take her out (but this doesn't mean easy..), even without MSV. But, all this attempt could be order-expensive. 

If you feel yourself more bold, once you have discover the Swiss Guard, send her an Umbra (Legate or Samaritan) for a friendly arguingXD 

I ran OCF for the first time in a local tourney yesterday, and in my last game (Safe Area) ye olde Maakrep HMG fended off a Marut and a smoke-chucking Myrmidon, pinning them back in one quadrant and handing me the win.  End of the game, the Marut had been wounded three times (but healed once)--the Myrmidon had also gone down only to have the Sophotect come over and get him up again--but the Maakrep was smoking a cigar and looking sassy.  To be clear, though, I didn't leave her vulnerable during my reactive turn, she'd drop prone on her rooftop perch and wait to pop up and start shooting again.  It also helped that she had a Unidron link toting plasma and K1s, and led by a Nexus hacker, providing cover on ground level.

The Maakrep HMG is awesome.  That said, she pays for the MSV2, so how awesome will depend on what you're up against.  

Wonder if they will ever put out a Maakrep HMG mini (or any other Maakrep mini besides the MSR)?

I would pick up a Maakrep HMG, that's for sure.

So far my strategy is to have a pair of M-drones with an E-drone. If the TO wants to come play you can run up the Mdrones and use satlock. Then papa HRL Overdron cleans up.

Granted I've only got 3 games in with Onyx but the Overdron was a beast in all of them. Even against hmg hac tao (killed by a unidron fireteam with a spitfire) he rumbled and against an "all the camo" NCA he street sweeped everything in sight. 

Now I just want two of them lol. The maakrep ended up a nexus conversion.

Note to self: Write-only mode is bad mmmm'kay?

On 19.5.2017 at 8:35 PM, Captain Leonatos said:

Swiss Guard can be roasted by hacking attack

Lets just remember that we are talking about units with 6 BTS... I see it possibly order expensive to perform hacking attacks...  that`s why they are nasty units to fight against (imho)

11 hours ago, Bosshog said:

Lets just remember that we are talking about units with 6 BTS... I see it possibly order expensive to perform hacking attacks...  that`s why they are nasty units to fight against (imho)

Yep, but most of assault hacking program (Rodocks) have DT or breaker special ammo effect and high damage value. Stop! program have 16 Damage with breaker ammo effect. But hacking attacks are not the only solutions against a Swiss Guard, that's sure.