madtulip

Loss of Lieutenant

Question

In the below battle report video in 28:25 the Lieutenant is lost on the reactive turn. The Player on the reactive turn comments.: "immediately nominate a new lieutenant". I dont understand how this is supposed to work. As far as i understand the Game Sequence states that your loss of Lieutenant check is only performed on your active turn ( http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Game_Sequence ) so he is not in a loss of Lieutenant situation in that moment. Under this link http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Loss_of_Lieutenant it is stated, that " The player can appoint a new Lieutenant at no cost at the end of the Turn in which he entered the Loss of Lieutenant situation. The identity of this new Lieutenant is still considered Private Information. ".

To my understanding as you are only able to enter LoL in your active turn you can also only cancel it in your active turn. So if you loose your lieutenant you would allways be forced to play a whole active turn in that situation (unless you have none default means to cancel it like chain of command).

If im missing something here this would be very important to know, as this is a severe impact to the game.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

12 answers to this question

You check for LOL at the START of your active turn. He will not be in LOL until his next Active turn. He can finish his turn, then in his Reactive turn LOL doesn't matter.

That was a completely incorrect turn of events in that video. He will go through his entire turn in LOL (unless Scenario states otherwise, example being Decapitation).

So the "immidiate nomination of a new lieutenant" is not a legal move as he would not be in the loss of lieutenant situation before the start of his next turn and could only cancel LoL (by nominating a new lieutenant) at the end of the turn in which he entered it?

Thanks a lot for the fast response!

That is correct, you do not enter LOL until your active turn.

The only thing I can think of that might explain it would be if the player had a Chain of Command model, and was explaining that to the opponent/video? Otherwise, yeah, from what you've posted that doesn't make any sense.

Well he placed the new Lieutenant on the HacTao which doesnt have Chain of Command.

I found out in the meantime, that the scenario beeing played was "ITS season 8 Tagline 1.4. Decapitation" which has the scenario special rule.:

"In this scenario the rule Loss of Lieutenant does not apply."

Which finaly explains above to me. Its still not fully correct to place the new LT immidiatly but he should have waited for the "tactical phase of his next active turn" as per scenario special rules, but that doesnt matter unless the 2nd LT also gets killed in the same reactive turn.

Thanks for the clearifications!

They are playing Decapitation, the scenario rules override the standard loss of lieutenant rules.

Watching on...
The "immediate" nomination was just for expediency. You name a new Lieutenant if your old one is null/dead, at the start of your active turn (in this scenario) and at the start of his he changed his mind and nominated a different one.

So, they weren't strictly following the letter of the rules, but ended up about right in the end.

That would make a lot more sense then. Can't really watch videos at the moment, but scenario rules definitely have the potential to alter what's going on!

1 hour ago, Cartographer said:

They are playing Decapitation, the scenario rules override the standard loss of lieutenant rules.

Watching on...
The "immediate" nomination was just for expediency. You name a new Lieutenant if your old one is null/dead, at the start of your active turn (in this scenario) and at the start of his he changed his mind and nominated a different one.

So, they weren't strictly following the letter of the rules, but ended up about right in the end.

Decapitation explains, but they do want to be careful cause in that way if the player had killed the new lt again, it would have given him more points. So be careful when reading scenario rules.

19 hours ago, madtulip said:

Well he placed the new Lieutenant on the HacTao which doesnt have Chain of Command.

but can have executive order...which is automatic etc...maybe that was it? (sorry but I won't watch the full video)

Just now, det said:

but can have executive order...which is automatic etc...maybe that was it? (sorry but I won't watch the full video)

XO goes into effect as soon as the model with the skill is deployed.

yeah, the MWG guys make rule mistakes. And play funky formats. Do not take anything they say about the rules as being how they actually work. Their quality as far as rules and general gaming is lacking. And their measurements are so sloppy you could put it on a burger bun and call it Joe.

Which is really a shame, since they ask/have people pay to watch their content. They need to have some better quality to their actual gaming to justify that. And get a stinking Tripod, handcam suxs and is the lowest form of video recording.