jaque_froid

Automatically rejoining a linked team?

Question

On page  16 of the N3 human sphere rulebook the 5th paragraph from the top says

"If the fireteam has not been cancelled, then the troopers who left will automatically be able to REJOIN IT if they again in coherency with the team leader during the order count phase of their next active turn"

The entire section is about when one or more members leave a fireteam from doing a different aro from their fellows or doing a different order or not doing the order given.

So my question is this. Does automatically mean "without the use of a command token?

If I have 5 guys and one of them dodges while the rest shoot I know he will drop out of the fireteam but by this paragraph then he automatically rejoins it at the start of my next turn?

12 answers to this question

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Fireteam_Integrity

" If the Fireteam has not been cancelled, then the troopers who left will automatically be able to rejoin it if they are again in Coherency with the Team Leader during the Order Count phase of their next Active Turn. "

Correct! As long as the Fireteam is still up, and the stray trooper is still in Coherency, no command token expense is needed to bring the trooper back in to the link.

In practice, from what I've seen, this doesn't happen as often as you might think, since normally someone ends up dead or out of Coherency, but in those cases where it works, you get a "free pass" to link them back up!

Does this free pass back in only last until the order count phase that happens after they were put out of the link?

What if trooper Vicksburg is booted for dodging when he should have shot and dodges out of coherency. The next order count phase he misses the free pass. Then his buddies move towards him and an entire round passes. At the following order count can he get in?

Basically, is there a one time pass available or do people get free entry into link teams anytime they're near one they could be a part of every order count phase?

Also is it only for previous members that were kicked out getting back in?

One time only, if you miss your chance you have to re-form the link as per the normal rules (spend a command token).

Yes, it only applies specifically to previous members that lost integrity with their Fireteam.

10 hours ago, macfergusson said:

In practice, from what I've seen, this doesn't happen as often as you might think, since normally someone ends up dead or out of Coherency, but in those cases where it works, you get a "free pass" to link them back up!

If you are aware of it, it is very useful. Ever since I became aware of it, I make use of this rule almost more often than CC when I play ISS or in particular JSA. It's especially good for units like Domaru-Haramaki links where in ARO you might want to dodge with some, shoot with others or even stick one of the members in Suppressive Fire (naturally in preparation of ARO in this case). Because an opponent can effectively make CC very difficult to achieve (it's in their best interest), and that they have no control over the use of this rule, this is why I find it used more often than CC (plus, reliably failing infiltration rolls means Oniwabans don't get as much action as they could have).

Adding another question onto this, is this the only way to rejoin a fireteam other than using a command token to reform it?

Recently a player claimed that you could rejoin as long as your were in coherency with the leader when spending an order on the team. I wasn't sure about it so I let it slide.

42 minutes ago, Zavros said:

Adding another question onto this, is this the only way to rejoin a fireteam other than using a command token to reform it?

Recently a player claimed that you could rejoin as long as your were in coherency with the leader when spending an order on the team. I wasn't sure about it so I let it slide.

This is the only "free pass" to add someone to a Fireteam without spending a Command Token to re-form it completely. I don't know where your opponent got that "per order" thing from, but it sounds like a misuse/misunderstanding of what OP was asking about originally, which does NOT happen during the order spending phase, but ONLY at the beginning of the turn (during Order Count specifically) after which Coherency was lost.

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Fireteam_Integrity

" If the Fireteam has not been cancelled, then the troopers who left will automatically be able to rejoin it if they are again in Coherency with the Team Leader during the Order Count phase of their next Active Turn. "

Correct! As long as the Fireteam is still up, and the stray trooper is still in Coherency, no command token expense is needed to bring the trooper back in to the link.

It happens all the time with hackers in links: 2 troopers shoot, 1 model hacks. The Hacker drops from the link.

During the orders phase of your active you return the Hacker to the link.

6 hours ago, inane.imp said:

It happens all the time with hackers in links: 2 troopers shoot, 1 model hacks. The Hacker drops from the link.

I play Ariadna. Hacking kinda doesn't exist in my games. :P

6 hours ago, inane.imp said: It happens all the time with hackers in links: 2 troopers shoot, 1 model hacks. The Hacker drops from the link.

I play Ariadna. Hacking kinda doesn't exist in my games.

One of my best hacking memories was explaining to an Ariadna player that 'yes, your Blackjack is Hackable'. Gud times.

Which is one of the reasons I've never fielded one haha

8 minutes ago, macfergusson said:

Which is one of the reasons I've never fielded one haha

They're slow and have long-range weapons, so hacking is less of an issue with them than, say, a high-MOV, in your face HI.  You're missing out.  ;)

/And I've just fought against them.