Willy

Pier One project

14 posts in this topic

You are going to want a bunch of junk on top of the piers to block LOS.  A crane would be perfect.  Other stuff that shows up would be cargo containers, some cars, dumpsters, various smaller crates, etc.  (Wish I had pictures, but Uncle Sam complained loudly about non-authorized pictures on the pier!)

Oh, and the water around a working pier is usually a much nastier color than that light blue.

Section 9 is right. 

In addition to his suggestions:

• Forklifts
  • Trucks waiting to be loaded / unloaded
  • Pumping equipment

All of which helps break up LOS and adds more elevation variance. 

Very nice, @Willy!

I'm trying to remember how wide the piers were on the waterfront, I'm wanting to say 50feet or so (which would be roughly 10" wide).  I think 8" wide is as narrow as you're going to see an industrial or commercial pier.  Piers for small craft are a lot smaller, maybe 2-3" wide (and some only 1" wide).

Some other things you could add for set dressing is bollards and some mooring lines, spare brow bridges, shore power connections, and telephone/internet junction boxes. 

• The plastic pushpin shape is about right for a single bollard, and there are two bollards mounted together on a piece of steel about 1" long in game terms.  Bollards are usually painted white. 
  • Mooring lines are usually 2" in diameter for anything but an Aircraft Carrier or giant Cruise ship (monster ships get 5" lines), and they're braided lines.  So, ~100lb test Spiderwire(tm) braided fishing line in roughly 24-36" lengths, either coiled up or faked out in a ladder pattern.  Even Kevlar mooring lines are usually white (raw kevlar is yellow, but the outer sheath of most mooring lines is white nylon). 
  • Brow Bridges are simple, just take a spare ~4" long bridge section and leave it on the pier (though honestly brow bridges are usually more like 8" long and maybe 1" wide).  For Infinity, I think I'd want Brow Bridges wide enough to take a baggagebot, and 6-8" long to look right.  Brow bridges for ships tend to have a banner identifying the ship on them, but bridges to a barge don't (because barges aren't named).
  • Shore power cables can range from a simple extension cord to a set of 4-6 massive 5" diameter black cables that have a dedicated crane to hold them.  A shore power crane is yellow, and the transformer box on the pier is green.
  • Shore phones (and internet) are in a gray box with relatively thin wires (I'd use ~10lb fishing line) going to it from the boat.  Separate wires for phones and internet.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! Brow bridges are definitely on the list, and the push pin bollards are a great idea! A crane was in my original design and sketches, but I am sure about the height, because it would dominate the board so completely.

Shore power cranes are about half as tall as brow bridges are long (ours needed to span a good 50 feet, so they folded in half in the middle).

And you don't have to make the top of a cargo crane accessible to minis, which will help keep the LOS problems down.

Awesome board and fun concept!  Keep it up! Also @Krell posted some paper plots for small boats in his small town ariadna thread. Might ve worth checking out 

That is a great idea for a board, super adaptable and with built in possibilities for the special Terrain rules like Water that are too ignored.

Overhead/vertical terrain could include some sort of conveyor belt setup for transporting the gravel/coal/whatever to the barges, which could be an interesting option - lots of places to set up but minimal/no cover along most of it.

Or a travelling conveyor/lift for cargo containers, which is something I've considered building for my space station setup's cargo/hangar side.

Great ideas & Thanks! I was inspired by  @Krell's boats, and like the conveyor system idea. There are some wheeled & tracked versions IRL-2017 which wouldn't be too hard to convert
As I thought about the cranes, I wondered in 150/175 years what the robotics might look like for loading and unloading. I landed on the idea of robot stevedores, with an AI overseeing operations. Barges and much else would not require much, if any, human piloting or interference, unless something went really wrong. I added control panels throughout just in case of emergencies.

So for REM Stevedores, I came up with these construction & ag mechs from my Mechwarrior clix collection: rebased, disarmed, touched up, and new prosthetics applied as needed. They are a good size compared to the crates and machinery, not too overpowering, and they fit in with the sort of rough/dock aesthetic, and I put them on 40mm bases (so S6, like a Gecko). They were my favorites from that game and are articulated as well, which is extra groovy...

Wave Everyone!

20170613_135523.jpg

This immediately made me come up with some simple of optional rules for hacking the robots. Of course they would not hurt humans or equipment, but they can trundle around and move crates, unexpectedly create or move cover, etc ...

I like the idea of hacking the red street sweeper 'bot and suddenly moving someone's total cover away from them!

Could I suggest styrene strips for the forklift arms instead of wooden popsicle sticks? It'll look more like metal.

Nice collection of REM stevedores and work-bots, I'm envious. They'll provide nice pops of colour on the table too.

coffee stir-sticks, but yes, styrene would be a good addition or replacement. The forklisft bots are almost always are loaded with crates, so only the tips are visible. 

On 6/13/2017 at 2:31 PM, Willy said:

coffee stir-sticks, but yes, styrene would be a good addition or replacement. The forklisft bots are almost always are loaded with crates, so only the tips are visible. 

Actually, as scraped up as lift forks get, the woodgrain is OK!  Just sand the tips down to about half the thickness of the rest of the blade and take that about halfway back the tine, and beat up the tips.

And now I may have to pester some friends, see if anyone has those old Agromechs sitting around.  Huh, the AvP game actually has the powerlifter, but it's 15gbp...