Zandramaas

Camo Hunting

13 posts in this topic

So.

When making lists I try to cover most if not all of the various threats my opponent may be bringing. One key threat that most players bring is Camo, either regular or TO

I find that unless you have the right model, a few well placed camo token can easily force you to spend multiple orders to deal with them. This isn't exactly gamebreaking but obviously I want to try and mitigate this.

As such I will always try to incorporate a model in my lists that I can use to effectively discover and kill camo tokens. The best for this would obviously be a Spitfire Asura, however this costs a large amount of points and usually involves designing the list round the Asura as a key piece.

If someone was to ask me outside the Asura, what would be a good ALEPH unit to deal with Camo, my initial response would be a Deva with MSV2 and a Spitfire. 

That said, I was recently making a list and I ended up extremely tight on points and was trying to fit in a model to specifically deal with Camo. Although I couldn't really fit the Deva in, I could fit a Agema Marksmen with Mk12 in, which if I interpret the army builder correctly comes with both a MSV2 and a X Visor. I know this is only a few points different but I was already dropping things to fit this, and the remaining 4 points would be inconvenient to say the least.

As such I was wondering, what would everyone else bring to deal with Camo? Is it best to find the points for a Deva with MSV2, or could the Agema cover this effectively? Basically, what would you bring and why? 

I also considered the Sensor Deva, however I just can't see it being order efficient. Another option would be perhaps Atlanta, but although she has MSV2, I wouldn't consider her to be a Camo hunter as she needs good range to be effective. 

Sensor Deva with a Lamedh to drop a sniffer. This is hands down the best/most order efficient way to discover camo markers in Vanilla Aleph. Also, it's nice to have the Sensor Deva with lieutenant profile so that you don't need to squeeze another lieutenant option in (like you would with the Spitfire Deva, or Agema).

Also, don't underestimate WP 15 intuitive attacks with nanopulsers to deal with camo markers.

1 hour ago, Fathoym said:

Sensor Deva with a Lamedh to drop a sniffer. This is hands down the best/most order efficient way to discover camo markers in Vanilla Aleph. Also, it's nice to have the Sensor Deva with lieutenant profile so that you don't need to squeeze another lieutenant option in (like you would with the Spitfire Deva, or Agema).

Also, don't underestimate WP 15 intuitive attacks with nanopulsers to deal with camo markers.

My main concern with the Sensor Deva is that the Sniffers on the Lamedhs are only active once deployed. This makes the orders potentially inefficient. However, if done as a coordinated order imagine this combo would be brilliant. 

You know, I'd completely blanked on intuitive attacks. Thanks I'll have to remember to use them more often. Maybe I'll end up using a nanopulser for the first time ever!

That said the Sensor Deva fits actually quite well with the list I was making as I was already running 2 Lamedhs. 

Spoiler

logo_701.png ALEPH
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png10  
logo_33.pngACHILLES Lieutenant Spitfire, Nanopulser / Pistol, EXP CCW. (2.5 | 75)
logo_21.pngMYRMIDON OFFICER (Chain of Command) Boarding Shotgun, Nanopulser, Eclipse Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (1 | 35)
logo_3.pngDEVA (Sensor) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 24)
logo_20.pngTHORAKITES Engineer Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 18)
logo_14.pngYUDBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
logo_20.pngTHORAKITES Paramedic (Medikit, 360º Visor) Submachine gun, Chain Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
logo_20.pngTHORAKITES (Forward Observer, 360º Visor) Submachine gun, Chain Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 13)
logo_13.pngLAMEDH Rebot Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
logo_13.pngLAMEDH Rebot Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
logo_16.pngPROBOT (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
logo_16.pngPROBOT (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)

GROUP 2sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.png5  
logo_7.pngDASYU Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 37)
logo_17.pngPROXY Mk.1 Doctor (MediKit) Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 10)
logo_14.pngYUDBOT Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
logo_18.pngPROXY Mk.2 MULTI Sniper Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 24)
logo_15.pngNETROD . (0 | 4)

5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Also flamethrowers. I've seen people physically cringe once i informed them that the Devabots had HFTs :D

Sensor Deva is great and we do have a sensor remote too. Atalanta is also good at dealing with Camo, but that's only once it's been revealed which I guess is what you are after. 

Mines are another solid option with the benefit of working just as well against non-camo targets too

Coordinated Orders are a great way to effectively get Sensors/Sniffers to where they're needed.  If you need to run an aggressive piece up the table anyway, you might as well make it a Coordinated Order and bring your Sensor/Sniffer wielder along for the ride as well.  

And while it may seem inconvenient to use Sensor in this fashion, the "sensor sweep" with a guaranteed +6 is far more reliable than trying to Discover with a modified WIP roll.  If you attempt that roll and fail, the Order cost of bringing another unit up to attempt to Discover is usually far greater than if you had simply used the Sensor Sweep to reliably reveal.  

Especially considering the Deva can't fail the WP roll to Sensor...

Sensor Devas are sweet, probably one of the best LTs in vanilla Aleph. The benefit of the Sensor+Sniffer strategy is that you can wreck people hidden deployment plans too!

Our general abundance of direct template weapons and good WIP certainly helps against camouflage too. 

Or you could go the expensive option, take the MSV L3 Asura and not even worry about the dice. 

The Devabot is a good choice too as you get two discover rolls for one order and an intuitive attack.

Drakios gets a potential 3 discover rolls followed by 3 Intuitive attacks!

I'd love to have the Sensor Lt come with a Devabot. Devabots for everyone! 

2 hours ago, Necrotix said:

I'd love to have the Sensor Lt come with a Devabot. Devabots for everyone! 

Ugh, if there was a Sensor+Devabot+LT option that would be really sweet.