System_Override

Starting Caledonia - Looking for buying advice

8 posts in this topic

Hi folks!

I am strongly considering starting Caledonia and since I am going to Scotland soon, I fear i will succumb to my nerdier urges and buy yet another faction. So in order to do damage control i should at least buy sensible stuff. What would you recommend to get for a 300 pt starter list? I can already offer Isobel McGregor and an SAS Trooper.

I should also mention that I really want to include werewolfy goodness :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say for ITS purposes you'll want an Uxia model, a couple SAS, a selection of Galwegians, Wallace, a couple of Greys, and a Haris link of Wulvers would be a good starting point.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Mac said, you'll want Uxia and propably another SAS. Cateran would be superb and so is the upcoming starter set. After that, probably Scots Guard for more heavy weapons, Galwegian for face punching fun, and Wallace.

Volunteer Core with a Grey and Isobel is a lot of fun. Toss in Cateran or Scots Guard for ARO duties, Galwegian for DZ guards and general annoyance, then the rest is really up to you.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pride of Rodina said:

Volunteer Core with a Grey and Isobel is a lot of fun. 

I can't imagine someone not fielding Grey + Volunteers.  That's a nasty link.  

I'd put it at the top of the purchase list.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2017 at 11:22 PM, Barakiel said:

I can't imagine someone not fielding Grey + Volunteers.  That's a nasty link.  

I'd put it at the top of the purchase list.

Yeah, the only downside is you have to pick one Grey load-out :- so IMO it's either an AP HMG or a T2 BSG, but sadly I can't use both. .

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mightymuffin said:

Yeah, the only downside is you have to pick one Grey load-out :- so IMO it's either an AP HMG or a T2 BSG, but sadly I can't use both. .

You could take both, and swap them in the link as needed. Personally I would just always go with the AP HMG in the link, the real power of that is how cheaply you can fill out the 5 man roster in terms of point cost. So, with a Grey HMG, Isobel T2, and 3 6 point Volunteers, you have long, medium, and short range bands covered. Used offensively a burst 5 AP HMG with a +3 BS on a Grey is probably one of the most universally effective weapons in the game.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, macfergusson said:

You could take both, and swap them in the link as needed. Personally I would just always go with the AP HMG in the link, the real power of that is how cheaply you can fill out the 5 man roster in terms of point cost. So, with a Grey HMG, Isobel T2, and 3 6 point Volunteers, you have long, medium, and short range bands covered. Used offensively a burst 5 AP HMG with a +3 BS on a Grey is probably one of the most universally effective weapons in the game.

I've run the T2 BSG if I knew the link would be heading into the midfield, (e.g. an objective room - especially for the anti-material trait on the shotgun). I might try starting with the HMG to do some long-range before switching to the BSG, but the last time it came up I was able to cover their advance with smoke instead & the 34pts/1.5SWC can be a bit steep if I'm not sure whether I'd use it for covering fire.

Admittedly the HMG Grey is usually my auto-include when there's no reason to take the BSG - so most of the time!
(Its B5 AP HMG hitting on 19s has only failed me once - it was against a TAG, but I only hit a couple of times & my opponent made all of their saves).

Have tried to fit in the 5-man Grey fireteam, so I can pick all of the load-outs, but it does get tricky to cover all of the bases, (objectives, range, CQB, etc), especially as I normally can't resist a Haris of Wulvers.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now