Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Razek2648

A Question and a Conundrum

Question

Hello, I stumbled into a couple of conundrums while I was thinking about random scenarios in Infinity.

I know this first topic has been up for debate for a long time. But all I seemed to come across were long winded debates from two years ago with many of them ending with 'solved' on either side of the spectrum. I am of course talking about Repeaters and using an ARO through an enemy's.

Now I would prefer not to have to get into another long winded debate, so I'm simply looking for a short yes or no answer with the least amount of explanation needed.

From what I've read from the wiki, having an enemy repeater in your hacker's ZoC allows you to use the hacking area provided by that repeater, as well as being able to target any enemy hacker. Now... The only dilemma I have here is: Can you ARO hack any enemy hacker with your own hack at any distance, and without LoF, so long as you are in range of an enemy repeater?

Onto my second question. I have slowly been unraveling this question whilst typing this thread. But I simply need confirmation on the matter. Netrods and Imetrons, along with their AI Beacon equipment. I know you can isolate them to stop them from providing orders, and also stopping Proxy AIs to move into the beacon and continue existing. While I was googling an answer for my question, "Can you Blackout an AI Beacon?", I was met with more mixed results. People in the few discussion threads said that AI Beacons were Comms Equipment, which would make sense considering they're in the unit's equipment line and are treated as deployable equipment. But, while attempting to confirm this on my own by using the Wiki, I saw nothing of the sort regarding AI Beacons as Comms Equipment. This of course then made me think, No. Simple enough.

Then, as I looked further, I realized that Netrods and Imetrons aren't classified as any of the usual 4 hackable targets, HI, REM, TAG, or Hacker. Furthermore, they don't even have the hackable trait whatsoever. Naturally, the reasonable thing to say is no, Netrods and Imetrons cannot be Isolated through hacks; thus, the only way to stop them is either by using E/M weapons or straight up killing them. Okay, sounds simple enough. But I still remain curious if this is as intended. It seems rather silly to me that a technological spike in the ground labeled as an AI Beacon isn't hackable in the slightest, nor that it isn't comms equipment of any sort.

I am simply looking for confirmation on whether or not a hacker can be used to Isolate an AI Beacon. As a bonus, would blacking out the AI Beacon do anything to a jumping Proxy AI?

3 answers to this question

Question 1: please see firewall mods.  They apply when using an enemy repeater to hack, and have no restrictions about active/ARO.

Question 2: Netrods and Imetrons are not listed as hackable, therefore they are not hackable.  Per the wiki, the item would enter the Disabled state, which disables all Comms equipment and also all of the trooper's weapons and pieces of Equipment specified by the Special Scenario Rule stop working and cannot be used. The scenario would need to specify AI Beacons to have a negative effect.

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Blackout

2 hours ago, Razek2648 said:

Can you ARO hack any enemy hacker with your own hack at any distance, and without LoF, so long as you are in range of an enemy repeater?

Yes (usually with firewall mods, unless you have a killer hacking device).

2 hours ago, Razek2648 said:

"Can you Blackout an AI Beacon?"

No.

I don't think either of those answers are contentious now. They may have been at some stage in the past.

On 17/06/2017 at 0:53 AM, agustaaquila said:

Question 2: Netrods and Imetrons are not listed as hackable, therefore they are not hackable. 

What? The link you provide specifically say your target "need not have the Hackable Characteristic." The note on blackout even call out being able to target deployed equipment (dep repeater, snifer, fastpanda, etc) saying targeted trooper can ARO Reset but deployed equipment can't.

That said, the other requirement is that the target have some sort of Comm Equipment which can be Disabled in order to declare that program (which is logical since this program cause Disabled which only effects Comm Equipments). Netrod and Imetron don't have anything that can be disabled and cannot be target by Blackout.

Which is in the end the same answer as you. but i find it important to learn the proper cause for the effect. learning that you cannot blackout because they are not listed as hackable could lead in the future to thinking you cannot blackout a SK troop type Zero (Deployable Repeater) loadout because they are not Hackable.

On 16/06/2017 at 10:23 PM, Razek2648 said:

I am simply looking for confirmation on whether or not a hacker can be used to Isolate an AI Beacon.

as the FAQ for Blackout says, they enter Disabled not Isolated. There is no way you can Isolate anything at all using Blackout. You need E/M if you want to cause Isolated (E/M cause both DIS+Isolated effects, in addition to also causing IMM in some cases).