Phlyk

List Building for Interplanetary 2017

60 posts in this topic

So i'll tell you a little story of my own. I once played her in a vanilla list, vs Onyx. My opponent had a drone with combi visible from Atalanta, so I decided to shoot at it, as it was an easy kill and one less order for him. This was the very first order of the game, since i was playing first. I was hitting at 17 (partial cover for him), he was at 2 (partial cover + -6 range band for combi). He rolled a 2 and got a crit, my Atalanta was unconcious ...

But i had Machaon nearby and I could heal her. She did plenty after that, got some nice kills and all.

You may always get a lucky ARO and lose 1 wound. It will happens. That's why NWI is so valuable for snipers, who are usually too far to get healed. That's why MK2 sniper, dasyu, or Teucer are that valuable. If you do not have NWI, get a yudbot somewhere near. You don't want your 40 pts model become useless just because you got unlucky when you could save her with such a small investment.

Well I mostly play vanilla, so I understand the concern of putting Machaon in a fireteam. I usually use Machaon with 2 yudbots, one near a priority target (Atalanta, Asura ...), the other with him so that it can support him if needed (close combat under eclipse, that sort of things). If you can't do that, be careful and keep Machaon close enough to her on the first turn (you are going to have some myrm nearby for smoke, isn't it ?) so that if you get unlucky, you can still heal her. What happens after turn 2 is of no concern, but don't lose such a magnificent attack mini (and i mean it) on a bad luck on your turn.

Yeah I think deploying her near Machaon will be a good idea if it lets me get the sightlines I need, and generally doing everything I can to minimise the risk I put her in.  Smoke for her to shoot through, rangebands, good cover, get her prone at the end of the turn.  But unfortunately, this time, no Yud.

4 hours ago, Phaelix said:

I've also packed Atalanta... I know she's not your jam, but she's ended too many hopes and dreams on active for me to leave her at home ;)

I'm gradually, sort of warming to her. My list could cut the Combi Myrmidon down to a Chain Rifle in order to find the points to upgrade the Agema Sniper, but I really like the extra Combi and I tend to use the Sniper as a, relatively, expendable ARO piece.

Anecdotally though, in my final round of the tournament there was a bit where my Agema was shooting at a Djanbazan HMG in ARO and if he'd had been Atalanta then I would have crit on my roll of a 20! The game might have gone very differently from there. 

Anecdotally though, in my final round of the tournament there was a bit where my Agema was shooting at a Djanbazan HMG in ARO and if he'd had been Atalanta then I would have crit on my roll of a 20! The game might have gone very differently from there. 

Yeah honestly the list seems very strong either way. Between meta and dice I'm sure both can work well.

On 9/14/2017 at 5:18 AM, Phlyk said:

I'm gradually, sort of warming to her. My list could cut the Combi Myrmidon down to a Chain Rifle in order to find the points to upgrade the Agema Sniper, but I really like the extra Combi and I tend to use the Sniper as a, relatively, expendable ARO piece.

Shes been a very powerful piece for me. Her ARO is comparable to a TR bot at average ranges, and if you can out range your opponent, she is a total brick wall. She also isn't vulnerable to the standard tools for removing/neutralizing a TR bot. On offense she is an incredible powerhouse. She is frail, and expensive but shes frequently an MVP for me because she can be relied upon to clear approaches for more close quarters combatants/speciaists and at a minimum provides a powerful order sink in ARO. In my meta she is rightly feared.

So I put the list into action last weekend. It was a 16-man tournament, scenarios were Deadly Dance, Supplies and Acquisition.

Game one I was up against PanO NCA. He went a relatively spammy 17-order list leaning on a fusi link, a Swiss Guard and a pair of bulleteers as bruisers, plus more flashpulse AROs than you can shake a big stick at. It was a real drawn-out slugfest of a game- I narrowly took the win, but made the mistake of giving him first turn and then having to wade through his field full of flashpulse AROs to get anything done. In the end I put his Swiss down and broke his link, but I didn't feel like I got the efficiency I normally expect out of SP. In retrospect, I might have been better served spending turn 1 picking off as many flashpulse bots as possible... It would have meant leaving his Swiss to make mischief, but it might have left me with more efficiency and him with less freedom later on. 6-5 win for me.

Second match up was against Corregidor doing supplies. Alguaciles link on a rooftop, midfield morans, an intruder and a withheld McMurder. My last piece to deploy against him was Atalanta, but his Alguaciles link would have been perfectly positioned to pick her off anywhere she was able to ARO him. I wound up hiding her, which i think cost me the game. McMurder hopped upfield, smoked one ARO, face-tanked a boarding shotgun without taking a wound and then ate three myrmidons without taking a wound. Atalanta could have stunned him on his ex. Impetuous move, which would have been a sacrifice but probably worthwhile. After that it was all over bar the screaming. After Atalanta got instantly ARO crit through smoke, I decided to ignore McDoggo, grabbed a supply and killed some Alguaciles. Turn 2 he put me in retreat but failed to take out my supply carrier, resulting in a turn 2 loss for me 1-2. I think my opponent must have been kicking himself, another turn would have got him a major victory, no sweat.

Respect the doggo.

Game 3 was Acquisition against Hassassin Bahram. He brought a LI list with 3 heavily-armed MSV-1 carriers on a building and a 4-man HI link. This one was more my jam, and aside from losing Atalanta to another 1st-order crit through smoke I don't think I lost a F2F roll. 10-0 win for SP.

General thoughts :

Atalanta sometimes gets crit. If your plan relies on her doing things, it's a bad plan.

This list seems especially effective against other LI lists.

With the new rules,first turn may be more valuable.

7 hours ago, Phaelix said:

General thoughts :

Atalanta sometimes gets crit. If your plan relies on her doing things, it's a bad plan

May i ask what critted her ? Was it a shock or DA/EXP weapon ? Cause else it would just be what i said last time, take a med close to her or take Teucer if you can't afford a med, but don't field Atalanta if you don't take any insurrance.

And relying on her for ARO seems a bad use for me, she does not have anything to be a good ARO troop, she's not sturdy or durable, she has no modifier for the enemy, she is really fit to be an active turn killer and nothing else. For ex. Phoenix has ODD, same armor and NWI, even without a fireteam he is already far better for the reactive turn.

In the first case, Machaon was already dead to McDoggo.  In the second, she was hit by EXP and died instantly.

I might not have made myself clear- Atalanta died to ARO fire, she was being used in active.  I would normally never use her as an ARO piece, but in the case of McDoggo she was my only reliable way to stop him rampaging, as Stun + MSV2 would be very likely to put him out of action on his Ex. Impetuous order.  As it was I was too precious to let her die and as a result my backline got savaged.

Ho, lot of bad luck then, sorry for you

Still, trying to stun him on ARO seems like a gamble for me, since he could still do a dodge short action on PH16 (unless he really had to throw smoke ?). Well, had you field her on position to ARO him on his impetuous order (so having LOS on his deployment zone or close to it), the opponent could just cancel the impetuous with a regular and turn whatever has a good burst on Atalanta and outright kill her. So i'm not sure you had any good option here.

Ho, lot of bad luck then, sorry for you

Still, trying to stun him on ARO seems like a gamble for me, since he could still do a dodge short action on PH16 (unless he really had to throw smoke ?). Well, had you field her on position to ARO him on his impetuous order (so having LOS on his deployment zone or close to it), the opponent could just cancel the impetuous with a regular and turn whatever has a good burst on Atalanta and outright kill her. So i'm not sure you had any good option here.

Yeah spot on about the bad luck, couldn't put the dog down to save my life. Can't argue with the dice though. Trying the ARO would have been a risk for sure, too. Oh well, win some and lose some eh?