Yasashii Fuyu

Giant activity drop?

166 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Lampyridae said:

Phase 1 was characterised by a 3-way betrayal involving Nomads, Ariadna and ALEPH. A heroic defence of Sygtir-1 by PanO.

Then in the fluff we get something about everyone's mad at Yu Jing, who basically did nothing but try to hold onto their territory.

Nothing we did counted. Not even a line of text. People (including me) were sour at that, but it's not a video game.

This is the biggest thing for me. They say it's a narrative campaign... but because this kind of stuff is ignored, that's a lie. 

4 minutes ago, Beasts of War - Warren said:

CB may well still do that :)

Be reeeeaaaal awkward if they apply that retroactively to this week and burn people who had realized that their faction wasn't going to reach the stated goal and so didn't bother. 

Yeah I imagine they are very happy to react and change on the fly. Predicting achievable points levels is a very difficult task. :)

Well we can wait and see what they do :)

6 minutes ago, Hecaton said:

Be reeeeaaaal awkward if they apply that retroactively to this week and burn people who had realized that their faction wasn't going to reach the stated goal and so didn't bother. 

I don't think they are going to do that.

But they could apply a scaling challenge for future objectives.

'though I expect they would still be smaller for some factions than others (some aiming for 200 at most with steps, while others aim for 300 with steps).

5 minutes ago, AdmiralJCJF said:

'though I expect they would still be smaller for some factions than others (some aiming for 200 at most with steps, while others aim for 300 with steps).

They already scaled the objectives based on faction activity a little it seems, Yu Jing's target value for Indra was only 200 "new" points for example, while it seems some other factions have to reach 300. This might also factor in how "useful" said targets are, maybe areas that didn't benefit the faction at all required less points as well....which would show that they at least took those factors into account.

Doesn't help when there's such a brutal drop in activity happening during these time periods though ;-P

6 minutes ago, AdmiralJCJF said:

I mean, a lot of things happened with this campaign that I didn't think would happen...

CBs biggest hurdle with the objectives is they are inherently gamey, and it seems like the core of players that hang around all the time instead of popping in when they have a report to publish, actually are playing narratively for the most part. Ariadna abandoned our objective in about 7 minutes when we figured out everyone else's. 

The number of points we all needed for the first week was already scaled to each faction @AdmiralJCJF, eg tohaa only needed 200 because they have about 2/3 the players of any of the human factions. YuJing also only needed 200, presumably because 3 factions were told to attack their territory.

The phase structure will cause natural crescendos, and those crescendos will be followed by a lull. Wait till we have the whole phase 2 data, then we can see if there has been a drop off. 

I guess I was unclear, I already knew that the existing targets were scaled.

My point was that I would expect "growth" targets to be scaled as well.

Ah I see what you mean now. We're only a couple hours out from the limit on our objectives now, we'll see what solutions CB have for the next set soon I guess... 

If the majority of the campaign is pre-determined then it all feels a bit pointless. The major conflict in phase 1 was around the La Forja Shipyard. 3 factions spent weeks fighting over it. Then boom. It's gone. Barely any mention of it in the new content. If that was always on the cards then I'm fairly sure the Nomads woudn't have bothered defending it. From what I can see there was no benefit to us defending both locations. At the moment it feels like a video game that is too heavily scripted and you are essentially moving your character between cut scenes.

Even something as simple as 'because the Nomads defended the shipyard it was able to affect repairs on the Don Peyote so they start with 100 bonus points on the theatre.' 

Hopefully things will start to pan out at some points and maybe there was a reason to defend the shipyard but at the moment to me a casual gamer I can't see it. 

But you have noticed, that the Shipyard snapped in half due to excessive fighting ?

My point is, was that always going to happen? If so what was the point in holding that location?

7 minutes ago, Icarium said:

My point is, was that always going to happen? If so what was the point in holding that location?

All I can say to that is that we have seen a map of Phase 2 at least a week before it actually went life, maybe even earlier (dunno where it came from..) and it already showed La Forja broken.....didn't keep Yu Jing from trying to attack it, as we assumed this was just a possible map of many possible maps, but maybe it is indeed all predestined, with the only variants being "Because they defended it it's not 100% destroyed but still drifts into nothingness for this campaign" .....which would indeed be very sad...

Let's hope it's not that way, at least I haven't seen a Phase 3 map yet, so everything might still be possible ;-P

32 minutes ago, Yasashii Fuyu said:

All I can say to that is that we have seen a map of Phase 2 at least a week before it actually went life, maybe even earlier...

... least I haven't seen a Phase 3 map yet, so everything might still be possible ;-P

It was actually on the site since day 1, as was phase 3... We'll see what happens in the end up, but uh... Yeah... 

34 minutes ago, Yasashii Fuyu said:

All I can say to that is that we have seen a map of Phase 2 at least a week before it actually went life, maybe even earlier (dunno where it came from..) and it already showed La Forja broken.....didn't keep Yu Jing from trying to attack it, as we assumed this was just a possible map of many possible maps, but maybe it is indeed all predestined, with the only variants being "Because they defended it it's not 100% destroyed but still drifts into nothingness for this campaign" .....which would indeed be very sad...

Let's hope it's not that way, at least I haven't seen a Phase 3 map yet, so everything might still be possible ;-P

The reason Nomads defended La Forja was basically sheer stubbornness and outrage at being stabbed in the back by our supposed Ariadnan allies. Sure, it was all fluff, and a faction is a faction but it got a lot of batreps flowing in. We didn't care that the shipyard would be blown up.

3 minutes ago, Lampyridae said:

The reason Nomads defended La Forja was basically sheer stubbornness and outrage at being stabbed in the back by our supposed Ariadnan allies. Sure, it was all fluff, and a faction is a faction but it got a lot of batreps flowing in. We didn't care that the shipyard would be blown up.

I can get on board with that mentality. 

1 hour ago, Durian Khaar said:

But you have noticed, that the Shipyard snapped in half due to excessive fighting ?

Were those real fights? i mean, the AI historian is there to distinguish Propaganda fight (aka bad/fake battle reports) from true fight (aka good battle reports).

Was la forja destroyed based on the number of real fights? or the decision was taken based on the total fight?

If the destruction was based on real fights, then ok. Can we know how many real fights were between factions in each location?

if the destruction was based on total fight (la forja accounted for at least half the total fight of phase1), does not seem strange that it's not rappresented in Phase 2 lore?

The backstabbing and total invasion of locations from "human factions totally not at war between one another" is so much a comedy that CA seems like the lesser threat of all.

LOL

If all the locations were on a giant "no man land" (like an abandoned space station or abandoned spaceship or non civilized planet) then all the situation maybe could revolve around the dominion of individual pieces of the battlefield.

As it is right now, it's clearly a war between human factions. and i won't play said war scenario.

Infinity is a Spec-op games, most of the lore are based on the fact that there is no war between factions, apart from the CA vs everybody else. i don't know who thought this situation to be actually "realistical", but it seems to me to be a farce.

I mentioned it before in our sub faction forum....

Next campaign should totally be about the discovery of a new planet, and then each faction will try to gain as much land as possible...this could be the ultimate fluff explosion, with people creating their own towns and whatnot ^^  MAKE IT HAPPEN CORVUS BELLI! ^^

36 minutes ago, Darkvortex87 said:

Were those real fights? i mean, the AI historian is there to distinguish Propaganda fight (aka bad/fake battle reports) from true fight (aka good battle reports).

Was la forja destroyed based on the number of real fights? or the decision was taken based on the total fight?

I will tell you what it was based on - This was predestined from the start and was based on the idea of the campaign's fluff creator. Was being foretold mid phase with hints like  'structure shaking' and stuff... and well - the picture of snapped La Forja was there plain to see from the start, due to some strange leak. No hard feelings towards CB about it, at least from me.

@Yasashii Fuyu - same kind of behaviour can be observed in our camp. Phase One's end was really intense. Peeps are just exhausted, real life is here to take back what was stolen from it. On top of that is the fact of no real reward for the effort - phase one ended and we still haven't seen the AI Historian'ed version of the data, thus our effort seems a bit worthless.

Also the secret objectives are sucked from the darkest depth of an asshole - the numbers are insane. I feel like I don;t need to comment on that actually - you guys probably feel the same about the objectives :)

All in all - it's actually a good thing. People will rest a bit, before the intense phase 3. I like the idea of going easy on myself for couple of weeks. ;););)

7 minutes ago, ItsUncertainWho said:

On top of real life asserting itself and CB asking for the moon from everyone, the war console website is a brutally slow. I am simply less and less inclined to spend any time on the site due to the fact I can load and check three other websites in the time it takes me to load one battle report. 

Yeah, that is certainly the issue. Same here bro - to actually read some reports it's better to rmb-open a bunch of them and go make yourself a coffee...

It's more just the fact that like every campaign ever people are gung-ho in the beginning but interest waivers as time goes on and life dictacts time nees to be spent elsewhere.

I believe that it is in part a balancing issue. To be fair I have yet to see a really balanced campaign in any game, I guess that is teh nature of the beast. However I feel having player numbers directly affect the outcome is problematic to say the least. Knowing Pan O is bound to win due to sheer player numbers can be somewhat annoying.

I can imagine that the feeling of not being able to achieve anything is demotivating for many.

A thing that does bother me personally is the perceived lack of support. There was a mission in phase 1 with contradictory parameters - Killcage. It had the "No Quarter" tag and then said that thegame would end as soon as one player enetered retreat. We can only assume one of the two statements was an oversight. This was discussed in two threads in the forums and frankly deleteing the bit that was incorrect fromthe pdf and uploading the new version takes 10 minutes tops. So some official response would have been nice there. 

That said I am glad we are getting this campaign and thankful this is offered as a free service. There are some really cool new missions in this campaign and I am looking forward to playing them outside the campaign context. A lot of work has gone into this obviously and I hope that we can find out what thinsg aren't going so well and find ways to improve them. I like this community and I hope that we can all enjoy playing this thing together (an maybe others in the future :D )

To be honest, Haqqislam is not pursuing the Orbital Station because it is our secret objective, but because Tu Jing was one of the Big Three (PanO being locked by the CA and the Nomads by Ariadna/Aleph) it was up for us and Tohaa to tackle the last one in a way our smaller numbers would actually have a chance.  Either Tohaa or Haqq would get an area while Yu Jing would pummel to the ground the unlucky other.

Imagine our surprise to find the Forts with bridges down and just a small garrison saying "Welcome travelers, are you hungry?  Settle down, there's water for the horses and mead for everyone."

15 hours ago, Yasashii Fuyu said:

Is it the 40k 8th edition drop that caused this? 

I think this is a big reason for it, along with quick burn out on the campaign. I was really excited for Wotan, and then 8th dropped, and I've been focusing so much on infinity that 40k has acted as a good break, especially letting me bust out thousands of dollars of models that have been sitting in boxes for too long. I've played a few Wotan games, but I haven't had the time or energy to put forth any decent reports, so I just haven't.

Yeah I must admit I'm not putting in the effort that I did initially as time is limited and if its all undone by people spamming 150 point games vs n00bs or 'banking' reports of dubious authenticity I question the point in writing up a massive detailed BatRep that means very little.