Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Iteken

Plasma

20 posts in this topic

Just a quiet little thread to post appreciation for the glory that is Plasma.

What's your favorite plasma toting unit?  Is it the Overdron Sniper?  The humble Q-Drone, or maybe the mighty Anathmatics?  For me, the Q has done so much as a first-strike weapon recently i want to knit it a little hat >.<

Plasma Sniper Rifle Unidron, that guy is awesome.

I'm just so excited that in N3 there are multiple new plasma weapons.  For the entirety of 2nd Edition I kept on hoping for more widespread plasma and more range options, and I'm so happy that it's finally real.

I never really use the Plasma Q-Drone; when I use one I generally use the HMG as an aggressive board control position, trying to get a large area and forcing my opponent to deal with the problem first turn.  That said, I've had enough problems with AD troopers recently that I might want to use the plasma Q-Drone just as a DZ defense piece.

Hector, unfortunately. :pacman_by_bad_blood:

The plasma Q-drone is a great midfield active turn hunter/killer unit. Add Assisted Fire for cover ignoring Shock Plasma!

2 hours ago, ItsUncertainWho said:

The plasma Q-drone is a great midfield active turn hunter/killer unit. Add Assisted Fire for cover ignoring Shock Plasma!

Good point, I tend to not give enough credit to Assisted Fire.  It's a shame that the TR bots lost their repeaters in N3.

The real thing for me is that I hate spending SWC on rifle-range weapons.  It's a limited resource that I usually prefer to spend on upgrading range bands.

I usually like to play the hyper-plasma-Skiavoros-lieutenant, the last time he/it did his work pretty well in cover+suppression in the middle of the table :D

I recently played with a Charontid MSV3 plasma rifle, and it was a delight. With two daturazi for smoke support, he made 80% of the game.

1 hour ago, Sanyv said:

I recently played with a Charontid MSV3 plasma rifle, and it was a delight. With two daturazi for smoke support, he made 80% of the game.

Minor derail but how did you find that worked vs the HMG? I've yet to try the plasma variant but I haven't played vCA in quite a while.

Also the Overdron Plasma Snipes has some competition with his other load outs but he's really really good. 

What other plasma weapons would you lot like to see? Plasma Shotgun?

Well I had to engage in closer combat, but that was no real problem as I had smoke support (and no MSV2 in the ennemy side). I always tried to stay out of long firelanes where the ennemy could outrange him.

I really like what the plasma brings : impact template (fried 4 cheerleaders of a fireteam:core in one shot), negate the ARM bonus from cover, roll ARM+BTS so it's harder for the opponent to be lucky on ARM rolls.

I had not enough orders (or not managed to save enough) to put him in suppressive fire, but he managed to survive anyway. If you're below 40cm (16 inches), you hit on 17 (and ignore mimetism/camo/...), that frightened my opponent a bit I think.

He finished in NoWound state, with a bit of luck.

15 minutes ago, Sanyv said:

Well I had to engage in closer combat, but that was no real problem as I had smoke support (and no MSV2 in the ennemy side). I always tried to stay out of long firelanes where the ennemy could outrange him.

I really like what the plasma brings : impact template (fried 4 cheerleaders of a fireteam:core in one shot), negate the ARM bonus from cover, roll ARM+BTS so it's harder for the opponent to be lucky on ARM rolls.

I had not enough orders (or not managed to save enough) to put him in suppressive fire, but he managed to survive anyway. If you're below 40cm (16 inches), you hit on 17 (and ignore mimetism/camo/...), that frightened my opponent a bit I think.

He finished in NoWound state, with a bit of luck.

Opponent here, Charontid + plasma rifle is a real beast... Plasma is the worst ammunition type to deal with! And on the great profile that is the charontid.... Ouch!

Had never thought on how to deal with it before, I'm not making that mistake twice !

You had E/M weapons, I think ? At least one Morlock with E/M CCW ? You had at least this way to deal with him. I think I didn't flinch, but I wasn't reassured.

10 hours ago, ItsUncertainWho said:

My favorite tactic at the moment with my Plasma Q-Drone is to buff it and just go murdering on Turn 1.  A bit of Daturazi smoke is usually enough to get it out of your DZ and into "havoc" range, then simply walk around buildings and shoot entire lines of dudes.  the combination of 6-4 move, ignoring cover, range bands and mimetism for a bit of extra punch AND Plasma does literally everything i can want of it.   The HMG sees a lot less use as my groups are often TO/Smoke/MSV heavy so a long ranged passive TR bot just gets surprise shot'd to dead.

In a game on Wednesday it killed a GaoRael Sniper (cracking one triad) and Ectros HMG (Through Symbiomate) and a Makaul, before dying to lucky crit from a Kaeltar.   It was a shot too far but i wanted that CoC dead as his LT was obvious.   Still, not a bad trade of ~90pts and 3swc  for a 25pt/1SWC unit.

The Charointid/Daturazi/Plasma looks great, the only time i tried it i totally overcomitted and lost it in my first turn :(

Lets take a moment to think of the Anathmatics though.  On paper it looks like it should underwhelm but every time it comes out of the stable it gets stuff done.   Hmmm.

ps. re: plasma shotgun - that's basically unidrons with plasma carbines. With assisted fire they are pretty fun.

The humble Unidron FO for me. My opponents don't consider them an immidiate threat until a template has caught most of a link team.

1 hour ago, Gamma Ray said:

The humble Unidron FO for me. My opponents don't consider them an immidiate threat until a template has caught most of a link team.

Yep, I've done that!

Skiavoro or Anathematic for me, simply because I don't like Unidrons for some reason and prefer the HMG on the Q-Drone and the Charontid. I hate having to get so close with my expensive EI murder machine to use a plasma rifle. Getting that close invites all kind of awful retribution - hacking through walls, warbands, ending up in CC, Ghazis that isolate you... Nah I'll shoot the human cattle from afar, thank you.

Last time I ran CA, my Skiavoros Lt took on a 4-man fireteam & blasted 2 or 3 of them by splitting fire plus impact template, (it was a while ago so my memory's hazy).
That was after a suicidal Malignos deposited a monofilament mine in their faces as an ARO, which killed the other fireteam member.

[The only pity was that it took an entire turn's worth of orders to get him there! 4-2 is his downside]

On 30. 6. 2017 at 11:36 AM, Flipswitch said:

What other plasma weapons would you lot like to see? Plasma Shotgun?

Plasma perimeter weapon, that hugs enemy and makes him crispy.:D

Big fan of the dogged suicidal Unidron assisted fire charge, that often works well and is very in keeping with the fluff of a hyper aggressive invasion force.

Personal favourite is the Dual cannon Overdron, in recent games he's killed:

a Gorgos, A Jotum (in a single order), Patroclus, an d a couple of Pano armies who thought they were being clever by bringing too much MSV (below).

No automatic alt text available.

Having a Hacking Device+ to block MSV units really helps you use smoke to get into optimal range with plasma rifles. The Charontid hacker LT is all kinds of nasty because it can use both white noise and cybermask.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0