FatChance

New Painting Support Group (NPSG): July edition

44 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2017 at 6:10 PM, Azraelsburden said:

Making some good time, helps I had a few days off of work. Here is are my finished Fusiliers SWC and a Bagh Mari. They still need dullcoat applied but its too hot, so they join the list of many waiting for the same treatment. As always any tips are welcomed. As soon as I get my next ones ready Ill post my next pledge. Pretty sure its going to be the Grunt SWC box but I dont know yet.

Looking good, the only tip I would suggest is that since you have that heavy outlining for the blue armor (which I love by the way, looks great), it makes the much more subtle shading on the cloth pants really hard to see. I suggest giving them a bit of a heavier wash to stress the difference between the lights and darks of the cloth. 

Thank you @elvedril I will definitely give that to see how it looks. I just always saw the armor plating having deeper recesses than the pants, so it would be darker, but I am always up for trying something different. I appreciate the help! 

So my next pledge is some more Military Orders.

20170712_152536.jpg

My next pledge

krDDlvd_5Ls.jpg

2 hours ago, grEEn! said:

And now the queen of controversy, tech bee. Plus badass blonde merc.

OYcLp9KOZws.jpg

That druze hacker is amazing. Really like what you did with it. 

When people do the lights and glowing bits on the unit, is that ever done with an airbrush or is that done with a regular brush? Like the OSL type of glowy bits.

Also, do you paint the main color (red for nomads, orange for Yu Jing etc) and then do the mechanical bits with grey and such? (Airbrush question again)

7 hours ago, Keyrott said:

When people do the lights and glowing bits on the unit, is that ever done with an airbrush or is that done with a regular brush? Like the OSL type of glowy bits.

Also, do you paint the main color (red for nomads, orange for Yu Jing etc) and then do the mechanical bits with grey and such? (Airbrush question again)

While with an airbrush is so much faster and smoother it's almost cheating, you can certainly do it with a brush. Here's a video demonstrating it, but there's a bunch more out there, it's effectively a subset of OSL as you mention and there's tons and tons of tutorials on that, you could call this "OSL Lite" :P:

As he shows and mentions, it works far better if it's done over a dark color instead of a bright one, but even then you can pull it off. I'd say that the choice of glow color should be more influenced by the color scheme of the figure than it's faction. For example, a mini in all reds may benefit more by a green glowy light than, say, a yellow one or even a blue one, far better painters than me can give you tips on this if asked.

On 7/15/2017 at 9:43 AM, grEEn! said:

And now the queen of controversy, tech bee. Plus badass blonde merc.

OYcLp9KOZws.jpg

That crabbot is not holding a knife. 2/10 wouldn't accept it. jk

14 hours ago, Brimat said:

Perfect timing, stuff done one day before going on vacation:

Two more side shots in my blog.

You made that cloak look good, have fun in your vacation

On 7/17/2017 at 10:08 AM, Keyrott said:

The few times I've tried it was with a lot of medium, patience, glazing, and regular brushes. Then again I haven't had an airbrush to try it.

I paint mechanical underparts before main color usually, like with a Nomad Remote or HI I paint the dark grey part under the armor before the red armor.

Anyways, I painted an Odalisque.

sBV7uxl.jpg

Q0RUMTb.jpg

I'm not sure what I was thinking with the blue-grey, doesn't look anything like any of my army for Haqqislam, but I guess I'll make all the Odalisques look differently. Used black primer instead of the usual grey so white would've been harder to do. Still leaves me unsure if I picked the right colors though. Used a new basing material, Citadel's Stirland Mud, and I've grown to like the results. Up next are some of my favorite models: Naffatun and the Hassassin Ayyar. 

The last week I've had my days revolve around the American Team Championship (ATC) [for 40k]. Overall we didn't do bad as a team, above top third, it just left me a bit disheartened despite the fun. Just about every team had variations of the same list like Guilleman plus razorbacks and Stormravens, or Stormravens and Dante, Several Stormlords, Several Knights, Ghazghkull plus a bunch of boyz (to be fair I played that too), Belisarius Cawl and a bunch of Kastellan Robots with Phosphor blasters, Dark Eldar with spam of Razorwings and Blasters, Tau spamming Crisis Suit Commanders, etc. Overall it felt like a game of rock, paper, scissors, where it was just a check of your list and the individual actions in the game barely mattered. So that made me want to get back to playing infinity more, where even the little guy matters, so beware my motivation!

47 minutes ago, Stormygeddon said:

I'm not sure what I was thinking with the blue-grey, doesn't look anything like any of my army for Haqqislam, but I guess I'll make all the Odalisques look differently. Used black primer instead of the usual grey so white would've been harder to do. Still leaves me unsure if I picked the right colors though. Used a new basing material, Citadel's Stirland Mud, and I've grown to like the results. Up next are some of my favorite models: Naffatun and the Hassassin Ayyar. 

I think I'll use this color scheme if I get to start Haqqislam. The Odal looks amazing. Great job on the color scheme.

Next one, Leila.

hq51bFF2NBg.jpg

JhYRBN7dJks.jpg

Now I can play with recommended list from Red Veil.

21 hours ago, Recruit-3D said:

Finished my pledge yesterday.

4MvtCEC.jpg

Those Jaguars are bringing the spirit of Christmas and a foggy night. 

@grEEn! That rendition of Leila is amazing. 

HfzRDAe.jpg

8hPHUXZ.jpg

Just a TTQ job for the O-Yoroi pilot

Hey guys, been super busy at life this month so not much time on my hands. I have got the Azzy finished though! looking forward to bringing the AP HMG out to play ;)

cERI34m.jpg

3FhdeKz.jpg