Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jujoji

Bakunin, beyond 32"

5 posts in this topic

I'm curious how Bakunin players deal with the long range firepower of their opponents, preferably on turn one.

I listed some options I've considered below. I'd obviously like to always be within my positive or opponents negative rangeband when trying to remove these threats. If the enemy has MSV, white noise or Chimera's eclipse smoke helps all but the Grrls. I used a core Unidron plasma sniper as my base comparison on the dice calculator.

Meteor Zond - AD, 55% to stick the landing(70% with Evo), to shoot someone in the back with a BS11+3, B3, D13. I suppose i could put supportware on this thing too. Seems far too risky and relies on a safe drop zone/table edge right where I need it.

Prowler spitfire - Surprise shot and camo(-6), BS12+3, B4, D14. Surprise shot might not be helpful as many long range threats are in a core with SSL2. Aquiring LoF without more AROs could prove difficult. Effective in the right circumstance.

Bran - 80% to infiltrate. I've never tried this approach and I'm curious how it compares to other options. 

Moira Multi sniper - ODD (-6), BS12+3, B2, D15+DA. I'm not going to assume a core bonus as I prefer my other core options in Bakunin. Solid choice.

Moderator Multi sniper core - BS13+3, B3, D15+DA. Odds are barely in their favor

Riot Grrl ML haris - MSV1, BS13+3, B2, D14+EXP+template. No Core bonus here either. This option turned out worse number wise than the Moderator. Only decent when the opponent has camo or other negative mods.

Sin-Eaters - Leaves the decision to my opponent which sounds like a terrible idea. On the plus side, not needing orders is nice. Anyone have thoughts on the Multi sniper or HMG?

Is there anything I should add to the list above? Should i include the Zero? I mentioned the Meteor since it's the only AD option. Or is moving the HMG Taskmaster, Lizard, or Moira within range the way to go? The numbers say yes once in range... but i have to get there first.

1 hour ago, Jujoji said:

Is there anything I should add to the list above?

looks good. For completion sake, you could add Tsyklon Feuerbach, BS12 +0 in 32-48" and only B2 DA (or B1 EXP). Similar the ML I'll assume it has bad odds, at least being a REM you can also add Shock+Ignore Cover penalty (OTOH, ML ignore Cover ARM bonus).

Moving the HMG within 32" is how I usually go (second after using my Mod Sniper). Plus morlock/chimera smoke coverage to either ignore the enemy long-range or to get closer.

Depending what you are trying to out-range, a zero sniper could kill a TR HMG, but is unlikely (my unverified guess) to do much to a linkteam or against a MSV model.

If you're talking active turn 32" is a fair distance with a HMG, especially if you have smoke to help get you there, and usually you do in Bakunin. So I would add TR HMG (with supportware) and Moira HMG at least, and maybe even Kusanagi's Spitfire to that list.

Also a big thing you missed IMHO is Pi-Well triangulated firing. He can outrange even Snipers (48+) doing that if he has a long enough lane, hitting on 3x8's (with Shock if supportwared) with his combi or 2 x10's with FO. Combined with his ODD / cover that can be a nasty surprise to an opponent. You just have to get him in position to do the long skill without getting killed (which can be a bit tricky). Dropping him from reserve in LOF of what you want to remove is a good way.

I'm curious, the table is supposed to be 48" by side. Each Deployment Zone is up to 12" in most scenarios. 

Basically one short skill move out of your DZ takes you under the 32" range in most cases.

So, do you really face that much threat over the 32" range? 

Anyway, I don't recall a weapon having a bonus range after 32", I see 0mod or worse only. There are tools that serve whatever the range band, as mentioned already (chimera's eclipse, smokes, other mod stackers and such). So I personaly don't really see it as an issue.

PS: while rereading for mistakes, I think it may sound harsh, that's not the point

1 hour ago, Hachiman Taro said:

Also a big thing you missed IMHO is Pi-Well triangulated firing. He can outrange even Snipers (48+) doing that if he has a long enough lane, hitting on 3x8's (with Shock if supportwared) with his combi or 2 x10's with FO. Combined with his ODD / cover that can be a nasty surprise to an opponent. You just have to get him in position to do the long skill without getting killed (which can be a bit tricky). Dropping him from reserve in LOF of what you want to remove is a good way.

I'm going to have to remember that one. Seems like a good option, thanks.

50 minutes ago, Alkymedes said:

So, do you really face that much threat over the 32" range? 

Not particularly, but I use that rangeband to my advantage in MAF/Onyx and at some point i expect to face it. 

The tables I play on almost always have an option for that rangeband. Otherwise it makes sniper rifles less desirable.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0