Hexer

Infinity RPG experiences

76 posts in this topic

So who else has already been playing the RPG?

What were your experiences so far?

What do you play?

What have your games been like/what topics have they delved into?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious to hear as well, having not had the chance yet.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as i said, at this moment i have no RPG groups, however a while back i tested the free rules and found that they're quite fast and easy.

A friend of mine (ex Master from the rpg group) also bought Conan RPG from Modiphius, and found out that the system is a solid one, with the "right amount" of dice thrown. (not bucket of dices as in other games)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta say I'm not the biggest fan of D20 systems, but in this case its ok. The fact that you usually roll 2 or more D20 helps to set off the swingy nature of a D20-roll a bit.

We made our characters about a year ago when the Lifepath System was first out for preview so some details are different than they would have been later but that stuff is pretty minor and we're not going to change the characters after all this time playing them.

My char was born a Nomad and grew up on a Sol Orbital under Corregidor command. He even took the Alguaciles Tour in his youth but discovered that his Geist had turned into an Aleph aspect (a "small" one of course) and was convinced to defect to Aleph where he became an agent. The young agent got caught and killed on his second operation undercover in a Triad. Aleph saw enough potential in him to give him a standard LHost for resurrection. As he has 3 identities and names (and we all got another one a bit ago) the other characters only recently found out which Faction he truly belongs to when we ran into some other Aleph Operatives. His long term goal is to qualify for the Posthuman program.

The story started off with some curious events that brought the group together when they had to team up to flee a space station under attack by unknown (but human) attackers. Turns out later that its all about a powerful but fragmented AI whose fragments (at least the bigger, more powerful ones) impersonate the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. "War" has been beaten in an epic battle on Dawn but is still around, probably regrouping in the underground.

We ran into some Aleph Operatives while infiltrating a secret illegal biotech/nanotech lab (still on Dawn) that we found out has some connection to another of the major fragments. Those Aleph Operatives basically pressed the rest of the group into participating in the next operation which didn't sit perfectly well with most of them (especially our Nomad hacker). So now we're back on the station where we first met that is under quarantine by now and infested by the fragment impersonating "Pestilence" which found a way to infest the population with alien parasites that basically make them Zombies who (kinda like Antipodes) grow more intelligent in larger groups.

 

On the way we met some interesting characters:

We defeated what could be called our first Nemesis Enemy, a former YuJing Operative who turned out to be not so much in opposition to us but to our then employer who later turned out to be another AI fragment posing as the CEO of a Nomad corporation. We still carry and honor some of his equipment which turns out to be quite unusual in ways we weren't able to completely figure out yet.

We are also accompanied by a repair bot we picked up on a mission. His personality is kinda fucked up so he thinks he's actually a famous ex-Holoactor. He IS good a fixing things but sometimes randomly kills other equipment when doing his job.

A small fragment of that same AI we are trying to hunt down became our ships personality AI as she seems totally independent from the rest of the fragmented entity and in opposition to the rest/uncorrupted. For all we were able to find out there is no outside influence on her but we'll still have to be careful.

 

This is only a very much shortened summary of the events of the game so far of course.

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been running a short campaign that has been slightly halted due to people getting conflicting schedules, but id say its been decent so far and sorta memorable but in the wrong ways.  

So the team is a Yu Jing stealth hacker agent with a slew of ex lovers from around the sphere, a dirty, sketchy nomad moderator, and a hyper-elite class PanO CEO turned religious military officer looking for a path to knighthood that doesnt require much piety or restraint from sin.

NSFW warning, but one of their first missions was corporate espionage, trying to recover an uncovered artifact for a shady organization theyre being held and trained by. They are trying to steal the relic from a yu jing mining corporation and are trying to case the highrise before the CEO arrives with the relic. Things are off to a rough start with them missing some semi obvious clues  for things to try and look for, but eventually they come up with a plan for the our elite knight to honeypot the CEOs secretary/intern for some info after seeing that she was quite displeased with her job and position. So after a night of schmoozing her up, they get to a hotel room for the sexy times whilst our dirty cop nomad is hiding under the bed with a recorder ready. They bang and stop for a smoke break where the Pano guy finally starts getting info from her about the buildings layout in between her ramblings of wanting to travel the sphere and visit exotic worlds.  So our pano ex-ceo (who was/is posing as a CEO attempting a corporate takover of the mining co. to get in inconspicuously) offers to pay for her to leave and go on the trip shes always wanted when the takeover is done. He then says he offers round 2 of sexytime, flips her over and begins doggy style, then reaches into the nightstand, pulls his gun, says something along the lines of "heres your vacation bitch." and blows a hole in her head right as he climaxed. At this point im speechless and have to just let him do it. As he finishes, the nomad gets out from under the bed to survey the scene. I then tell my players that theres now evidence of a murder and the authorities will find the body and be after them, at which point my nomad player without even blinking says "I eat the body" and proceeds to have his character dismember and store the bodyparts to be eaten over the course of the whole week while they wait for the CEO to arrive whilst the Pano player cleans the hotel room. 

Needless to say the campaign can be summed up as drinking, f**king, improvising last second and pissing off any and all authority figures including ones that are trying to help them. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my players rolled up a character and became a Yu Jing Recreation. I said to him "Okay, that's interesting...(explained recreations to him and the point of them)...so, who would you like to be?"

"I want to be Jackie Chan!"

"Seriously? Out of all the possibilities, you pick Jackie Chan?"

"Yeah!"

"Okay, fine. Let's do this. I want to go on record that I hate you"

We have Jackie Chan, the rogue YJ recreation (with all of his points in CC and agility), a Haqqislam Doctor who was previously a silk merchant turned legitimate from the Caliphate area, a Nomad hacker/engineer who aspires to purchase their own combat remote and they were orphaned as a kid. They have an extreme love for robot things...it's kind of their "thing", if you catch my drift, and they're from Bakunin. Lastly, we have a Spetsnaz parachuter and Pack Controller, who's been enlisted to serve with O-12 as a bodyguard and black ops agent. He's secretly a member of the Stavka and uses his missions as a means of gaining intel for the Stavka on O-12 and the other factions. We also had a player roll up some PanO person, but they didn't bother with a backstory and I couldn't remember anything they rolled up (they really just wanted to play, but then they stopped after 2 sessions, it was kind of weird).

Very first mission is a response to a terrorist group who claim they're bringing in the new phase of humanity by taking a bunch of O-12 diplomats and delegates hostage and then eliminating them. They're worshipers of the EI and think destroying O-12 will help their cause. The team goes in to rescue the hostages. The PanO player dies almost immediately by being a fool and running into mines as well as a few sneaky spots the enemies were hiding in. Haqq player runs in to heal them, gets the PanO player back up and running, so they decide to go hide outside the hotel they were in. Spetsnaz then moves in, clears out the rest of the bad guys and progresses towards the first hostage. Nomad player moves up and hacks into the security mainframe, gaining access to various cameras across the map. Jackie Chan moves in, last, and does a bunch of combat rolls, wall climbs, etc. to build up momentum. Bad guy turn, they move into position, try to kill dudes, they fail. Players go, so Jackie Chan goes first...I regret every decision I ever made by allowing him to be Jackie Chan. He finds a chair, does some more agility tests to bank up momentum and then proceeds to beat the whole squad of three NPCs with a freaking chair. Kills them all too. Jackie Chan then proceeds to move towards the next group. The PanO player hides outside, Spetsnaz is laying down covering fire to the stupid Jackie Chan running all over the place (dodging all of the mines too...for more momentum), Haqq player moves behind the Spetsnaz, trying not to get shot, and the Nomad hangouts in the main lobby hacking stuff.

Needless to say, Jackie Chan killed almost everything by himself, until they hit a Maghariba Guard. It took most of the team and the hacker to take that beast out, but Jackie Chan still did most of the damage....

Morale of my story; random character creation is fun, I love the game, it's very thematic, but difficult, and Jackie Chan is OP.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pride of Rodina said:

Needless to say, Jackie Chan killed almost everything by himself, until they hit a Maghariba Guard. It took most of the team and the hacker to take that beast out, but Jackie Chan still did most of the damage....

Morale of my story; random character creation is fun, I love the game, it's very thematic, but difficult, and Jackie Chan is OP.

He didn't want any trouble!

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BaleWolf said:

He didn't want any trouble!

Of course he didn't want any trouble, he WAS the trouble! Jackie Chan's a huge jerk in the Infinity universe. My least favorite Recreation ever.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pride of Rodina The scenes I imagined of Jackie seemed fun. Granted it is different playing the match in person but the image of a man beating a three man squad with a chair fits perfectly with Jackie Chan's movies.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Golem2God said:

@Pride of Rodina The scenes I imagined of Jackie seemed fun. Granted it is different playing the match in person but the image of a man beating a three man squad with a chair fits perfectly with Jackie Chan's movies.

Oh trust me, that was the player's exact intent. That's why he immediately grabbed a chair, made me stat it, then proceeded to kill people with a chair....It was the worst moment of my life as a GM (well, not 'worst', but it's up there). It's also what he beat Maggie with...until they destroyed her too.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, this seems like the other place I might get an answer to a question that's been bugging me (and that I'll have to sort out before we play).

How do characters get initial gear? 

Obviously they get some bits and pieces from their Life Path, but there is also a reference to spending Assets to immediately purchase additional equipment in Step Five of Decision Nine: Final Customisation on pg 71.

How does that work?

There isn't any other explanation in the Live Path section, and there's no information on how it might function in the Gear section starting on pg 327 either.

Am I missing something?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pride of Rodina said:

Oh trust me, that was the player's exact intent. That's why he immediately grabbed a chair, made me stat it, then proceeded to kill people with a chair....It was the worst moment of my life as a GM (well, not 'worst', but it's up there). It's also what he beat Maggie with...until they destroyed her too.

I can't help but laugh picturing this.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AdmiralJCJF said:

Hey guys, this seems like the other place I might get an answer to a question that's been bugging me (and that I'll have to sort out before we play).

How do characters get initial gear? 

Obviously they get some bits and pieces from their Life Path, but there is also a reference to spending Assets to immediately purchase additional equipment in Step Five of Decision Nine: Final Customisation on pg 71.

How does that work?

There isn't any other explanation in the Live Path section, and there's no information on how it might function in the Gear section starting on pg 327 either.

Am I missing something?

No, you're not missing anything. It's not exactly worked in yet (I think we were working on it last time I've heard).

However, you can do a quick buy and swap meet as soon as you start or wait until the PCs run into a vendor somewhere on their first mission. Could even have a quartermaster in their 'base' that they visit before they head out on the mission.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Pride of Rodina said:

No, you're not missing anything. It's not exactly worked in yet (I think we were working on it last time I've heard).

However, you can do a quick buy and swap meet as soon as you start or wait until the PCs run into a vendor somewhere on their first mission. Could even have a quartermaster in their 'base' that they visit before they head out on the mission.

Good to know I'm not going mad.

I thought it might just mean that you should allow players to do a session of purchases using the normal rules before play (which is how I think I'll handle it, do character creation as a session and allow them to purchase "pre-game" in that session... though timing will be important to manage well so they don't just manipulate lead time on purchases in their favour too heavily).

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AdmiralJCJF said:

Good to know I'm not going mad.

I thought it might just mean that you should allow players to do a session of purchases using the normal rules before play (which is how I think I'll handle it, do character creation as a session and allow them to purchase "pre-game" in that session... though timing will be important to manage well so they don't just manipulate lead time on purchases in their favour too heavily).

Yeah, best thing to do is do a pregame shopping spree, but limit them in what they can purchase. Only do things without hefty tariffs, divide them by the amount of damage they do, etc. Otherwise you'll get players who right off the bat buy super stupidly good weapons and it ramps up the power levels quite a bit.

In my example above, Jackie Chan was able to purchase a teseum spear after the first mission and I thought him with a chair was bad enough...now he has the best melee weapon in the whole game, bar some Military Order swords.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pride of Rodina said:

Yeah, best thing to do is do a pregame shopping spree, but limit them in what they can purchase. Only do things without hefty tariffs, divide them by the amount of damage they do, etc. Otherwise you'll get players who right off the bat buy super stupidly good weapons and it ramps up the power levels quite a bit.

In my example above, Jackie Chan was able to purchase a teseum spear after the first mission and I thought him with a chair was bad enough...now he has the best melee weapon in the whole game, bar some Military Order swords.

As we all know, Jackie is unable to keep weapons on him, and will have to resort to found weapons. Just wait until you see what he does with a ladder.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BaleWolf said:

As we all know, Jackie is unable to keep weapons on him, and will have to resort to found weapons. Just wait until you see what he does with a ladder.

Ha ha ha! That is so true.

Also, I am very thankful that particular player doesn't lurk these forums, otherwise you would have just given him another ridiculous idea that I would have to tolerate. A ladder is the last thing I need this player to ask for and use 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pride of Rodina said:

In my example above, Jackie Chan was able to purchase a teseum spear after the first mission and I thought him with a chair was bad enough...now he has the best melee weapon in the whole game, bar some Military Order swords.

He has now become a god of war in Lhost form.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pride of Rodina said:

Ha ha ha! That is so true.

Also, I am very thankful that particular player doesn't lurk these forums, otherwise you would have just given him another ridiculous idea that I would have to tolerate. A ladder is the last thing I need this player to ask for and use 

Honestly, it sounds like you might as well embrace it.  Take the previous comment to heart.  The player is obviously trying to be Jackie Chan from his movies, so make sure he "loses" the spear and is forces to fight with random crap he finds in whatever room he's in :).

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Sabin76 said:

Honestly, it sounds like you might as well embrace it.  Take the previous comment to heart.  The player is obviously trying to be Jackie Chan from his movies, so make sure he "loses" the spear and is forces to fight with random crap he finds in whatever room he's in :).

Just make sure he gets the spear back at a certain point or after the mission ends. After all he spent alot of points to get that weapon in the first place.

Jackie has also used other opponents weapons against themselves sometimes in a comical manner.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pride of Rodina it may just be how you wrote it but I'd guess the amount of momentum he can build up before actually doing anything should be limited. Didn't I see a rule that you can have max 6 Momemtum or something? also 1 Momentum gets lost at the end of each round if it wasn't spent.

How did he even manage to damage a Maghariba Guard with a chair? Did  he manage to specifically target some weird vulnerable area? Was it a Tesseum-chair?

 

still: L O L

 

 @Agorapocalypse Well... I dont know what to say except... wtf-lol?!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hexer said:

@Pride of Rodina it may just be how you wrote it but I'd guess the amount of momentum he can build up before actually doing anything should be limited. Didn't I see a rule that you can have max 6 Momemtum or something? also 1 Momentum gets lost at the end of each round if it wasn't spent.

How did he even manage to damage a Maghariba Guard with a chair? Did  he manage to specifically target some weird vulnerable area? Was it a Tesseum-chair?

 

still: L O L

 

 @Agorapocalypse

I know, that was the scary part. He would keep banking momentum and would only lose so little compared to how much he would he had banked, then he would use the momentum for extra damage. That's how he would wound Maggie with a chair. I said the chair was 1d3 damage and it had 6 ARM (was a beat up version, not very safe since the terrorists had to repurpose), so he would use up all of his momentum to deal damage...which he did many times. He played the game really well and made sure to read the rules, then he created a monster.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in our past experience with RPG we had a looooooot of character that fought with improvised weapons.

master simply said how much damage an object could do, and how much damage an object could take before breaking.

example a chair may be 1d3 damage, but usually (at least on films) they have the tendency to brake apart on the first hit, so perhaps a chair has 3 HP

Mr. Chan would simply use the chair, hit somebody, lose the chair and:

1- find something else to use

2- fight with the broken stick from the chair (basically unarmed)

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ran a group for a while through a simple little campaign. The basis revolved around the idea that the characters were working as a special Courrier company on Bakunin Ie: No questions asked, no Moderator inspections. Which gave them freedom to plot up essentially elaborate heist type plans to divert attention and gain temporary access to impound lots or holding bays. That sort of thing. As a premise I think it worked pretty well. 

The game sort of progressed until they eventually found out that one of the first things they had delivered was actually a prototype attempt at humans trying to make a Sepsitor equivalent. Since it had been delivered the scientists had made a good deal of progress. A bunch of stuff then goes down and they end up trying to steal it for another faction. At which point of the players turned out to be a sleeper agent implanted by Aleph and things got a bit crazy. And the Campaign ended shortly there after with numerous people dead and the device mostly destroyed. 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pride of Rodina said:

He played the game really well and made sure to read the rules, then he created a monster.

He should be rewarded then. The man did his homework.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites