Hexer

Infinity RPG experiences

76 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Slacker69 said:

Are you playing from the unfinished PDF ? I've been waiting to get and play the RPG...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes we are. Backers got a pretty much finished version for checking already so it works pretty well by now. We started about a year ago when it became possible to make characters. Some house-ruling was needed in the beginning but we didn't have to start over or anything.

On 2017-07-28 at 1:37 PM, Hexer said:

Yes we are. Backers got a pretty much finished version for checking already so it works pretty well by now. We started about a year ago when it became possible to make characters. Some house-ruling was needed in the beginning but we didn't have to start over or anything.

I've also started a campaign with the backer PDF. Missed the Kickstarter, but signed up for the Backer Kit version a few months ago.

We've only played one full session yet, but everyone enjoyed it. Me as DM, plus 5 players. Actually, we were originally looking for a system to run a Mass Effect campaign, and weren't familiar with the Infinity universe. But after the Mass Effect Andromeda debacle we decided to go all in and try Infinity. Very glad we did!

A few reflections from my end:

1. Character creation is fantastic. You get fun, balanced characters with a great foundation for backstories.
    1. Great mix of random dice results with decisions you get to make. So you play what you want, but it never gets boring and predictable. Life happened.
    2. Only bad thing is that character creation can easily take one hour per character. 90 minutes if you go all in with your personal Geist program and equipment.
  2. The system is fast and cinematic. Heat and Momentum work well, and the player's easily got into it.
    1. However, there's a lot of depth. A ridiculous amount of depth.
    2. You can run any sci fi or cyberpunk adventure you want. If you want to dig deep into hacking and vehicle combat and whatever else, the system supports it. Since it was my first time running it, I simplified some things I wasn't yet familiar with. Players were OK with this. Will add in more as we all learn more.
    3. Example: In many games, a sniper rifle is simply a ranged weapon with some extra damage. Maybe a setup action. In Infinity, you basically have to set it up to avoid massive penalties. Then you need to aim, steady, fire. The results are spectacular, and you can headshot an enemy a kilometer away. The player of the sniper said this was the first game she played where she actually -felt- like she was sniping.

Currently we're running a campaign where a ragtag cast of damaged but talented characters are being recruited into an O-12 black ops team. We've started out with some training missions on Concilium and the team getting to know each other. Of course, soon there will conspiracies, drama, and hard choices galore. Themes about loyalty, truth, and who to trust.

Okay, my group has a question for the people. 

When an ability says "You gain 1 momentum" to a roll of a specific ability, is it that you get an extra dice on the roll without needing to spend a momentum or is it that you generate an extra momentum if you succeed? 

We have been arguing back and forth about this for a while so i'll just ask you guys.

13 minutes ago, Smuglord said:

When an ability says "You gain 1 momentum" to a roll of a specific ability, is it that you get an extra dice on the roll without needing to spend a momentum or is it that you generate an extra momentum if you succeed? 

We have been arguing back and forth about this for a while so i'll just ask you guys.

I have only read through the rules once with no play, but I think it means you gain a free momentum die on that roll. I could very easily be wrong though. 

18 minutes ago, Smuglord said:

Check out the sidebar on Page 32. I believe what you're referring to is dealt with there. The way I interpreted that paragraph is that the momentum is added to a current successful roll but wouldn't be a Momentum gain. Basically it would be used to Improve quality/scope/reduce time. 

10 minutes ago, TheRedZealot said:

Check out the sidebar on Page 32. I believe what you're referring to is dealt with there. The way I interpreted that paragraph is that the momentum is added to a current successful roll but wouldn't be a Momentum gain. Basically it would be used to Improve quality/scope/reduce time. 

So now we are arguing about 3 possible interpretations of this rule.

The faces of my groupmembers when i came with this argument were hilarious. 

Another quick question:

Responding to a Infowar attack with a Defensive Hacking Device, can one use more than one program? Responding with Breakwater, Counterstrike and Zero Pain all at once seems pretty ridiculous. 

18 hours ago, Smuglord said:

So now we are arguing about 3 possible interpretations of this rule.

The faces of my groupmembers when i came with this argument were hilarious. 

Well I think its clear at the very least that that Sidebar precludes it from being a straight addition of momentum to the roll itself. Whether you want to interpret it as additional momentum gain or free momentum usage is still up in the air though :)

As for the defensive hacking programs. Yes I believe thats right. 1 is the Guard/Reaction itself the remaining two simply give it bonus effects. 

We ended up Deciding on the one where a success just grants extra Momentum that can be used however we please. 

7 hours ago, Smuglord said:

We ended up Deciding on the one where a success just grants extra Momentum that can be used however we please. 

I believe that is the reading I'd go with, but I'm curious now if it is the RAI.

GAINING MOMENTUM

When the number of successes scored on a skill test is greater than the difficulty rating, the excess successes become Momentum.

MOMENTUM FROM OTHER SOURCES

Some talents, items, or circumstances can grant a character bonus Momentum. This bonus Momentum is added to any applicable skill test that results in success (as specified by the source of the bonus). A failed skill test cannot benefit from bonus Momentum.

So there are the two rules for gaining momentum. Just comparing them I can definitely see the idea that they would just add additional momentum to the results (Ie: +1 would turn 2 Momentum gained into 3).  The second sentence becomes a bit strange to me then, but maybe the idea is to emphasize that momentum is only ever gained on successes? Language is definitely not my primary forte so I will happily bow to others opinions. 

On 24.8.2017 at 4:08 PM, TheRedZealot said:

So there are the two rules for gaining momentum. Just comparing them I can definitely see the idea that they would just add additional momentum to the results (Ie: +1 would turn 2 Momentum gained into 3).  The second sentence becomes a bit strange to me then, but maybe the idea is to emphasize that momentum is only ever gained on successes? Language is definitely not my primary forte so I will happily bow to others opinions. 

that would be my reading of it

On 8/24/2017 at 8:08 AM, TheRedZealot said:

That's how I read it.

Keep in mind that "Momentum" does not automatically equal "Dice". Momentum is a pool of ... well let's say "points" you have and one way to spend those points is to buy additional dice for tests with them.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:08 AM, TheRedZealot said:

Yes this is how it works.  I've been running a 2d20 game for almost a year now (Conan).  Basically look at it this way.  You have a target number you have to get (1,2,3 and so on) and an easy way of looking at that is it's the "cost" of completing the skill.  So if you have  TN1 and roll 1 success then you pay out the one success and have none left over.  If you rolled 3 successes then you subtract the 1 and you have 2 successes that become momentum.  If you have a TN3 and only roll 2 successes you have a deficit of one and so your attempt failed and no momentum was generated.

However a missing a TN doesn't always mean a failure as the system has the concept of Total Success needed (this is used a lot in their adventures).  An example would be you need to hit a TN5 to climb a building but rolling 2 on your first roll means you made it partway up the building and next roll is a TN3 until you succeed or fall (complications).

If you read face to face rules and reaction rules (like dodge) you'll see that looking at it how I described above make more sense as, for example, NPC shoots a PC.  Standard TN1 for any base attack.  The player decided to dodge.  NPC rolls 3 total successes leaving with 2 momentum normally but a player rolls 3 on it's dodge so the new TN becomes a TN3.  The attack hits but no momentum was generated".

Momentum can also be given by talents and equipment (Resources in infinity).  Sometimes this momentum can be spent for additional dice other times it can only be spent for normal momentum spends depending on the description. Equipment can also reduce the TN.

Why is it that there is no stats for a Deva Lhost? It's even mentioned in the NPC section but it's not there in the Gear section. 

Any idea how it would be statted?

Should probably increase WP and have a Nanopulsar incorporated. Maybe an internal skill that emulates NWI as well. 

On 28.10.2017 at 7:28 PM, Smuglord said:

Why is it that there is no stats for a Deva Lhost? It's even mentioned in the NPC section but it's not there in the Gear section. 

Should probably increase WP and have a Nanopulsar incorporated. Maybe an internal skill that emulates NWI as well. 

I seem to remember reading somewhere that (as opposed to the Tabletop model) the Nanopulser is incorporated in the Devas' Armor, not their LHOST.

On 28/10/2017 at 7:28 PM, Smuglord said:

also, since it's an "only aleph" Lhost, probably it will be in the "Aleph" faction expansion.

On 10/28/2017 at 11:28 AM, Smuglord said:

My recommendation would be to look in the Denizens of the Human Sphere section on page 424. 

Sure, there's no Deva listed, but there is an Asura and both the basic Chimera and the Uberfallkommando.  The Nemesis-ranked profiles are supposed to be the equal of a PC, but I'd base the capabilities of a Deva on a Celestial Guard or thereabouts.  Maybe grant some implanted armor and the implanted Nanopulser.

(That's basically what we did to come up with an Uberfallkommando career for Eddie)

On 28.10.2017 at 7:28 PM, Smuglord said:

Found the description for the Deva Functionary Light Combat Armor Variant (Infinity RPG Collectors Edition page 372):

LIGHT COMBAT ARMOUR VARIANT:
DEVA FUNCTIONARY
Designed to accommodate the inhuman flexibility and speed of ALEPH’s Deva Lhosts, this light combat armour incorporates a nanopulser in case of emergencies and a repeater to ensure connectivity.
Careful design and layered exotic materials ensure an unobtrusive silhouette (Hidden Armour 2).

Question of my own:
My Aleph Character is aspiring to become a Posthuman one day. He is an Aleph agent (originally defected from Nomads years back when he discovered his Geist was an Aleph Aspect), already uses an LHost (Standard LHOST that he upgrades) since having been killed in action in an undercover mission during lifepath character creation.

What would you say makes or breaks being/becoming Posthuman? Is it just a matter of getting a Cube 2.0 installed that enables you to use the Quantronic Jump abillity? The background seems to imply that there is more to it than that. After all, all of Aleph's recreations also have Cube 2.0s without being designated as Posthumans.

The RPG Core Book describes Posthumans as "Whether they represent the next step in human evolution, a parallel track, or something else entirely, Posthumans are smarter, stronger, and experience life differently than standard humans. Resurrected into Bodhisattva Lhosts by ALEPH itself, these so-called Posthumans are selected from the very best and brightest, which has the side effect of causing a brain drain in humanity proper."

Of course, the Bodhisattva Lhosts aren't even really described anywhere yet. Also I think my char should probably work on developing himself some more in terms of willpower and personality before becoming a real Posthuman candidate but I probably COULD already get my hands on a Cube 2.0 with a somewhat lucky acquisition roll.

How would you see this and maybe handle this in game except for the obvious "wait for the Aleph supplement and hope for detailed information in that book"?

For me posthuman has nothing to do with the LHost, sure it might be a special version to make jumping possible, but the real core is leaving a body behind and only exist as a conciousness, so getting completely uploaded and being connected to the Mayasphere, having acces to every information that has ever been in a blink of a non existing eye, living in a world based on 0 and 1, that sure has some influence on a human mind.

A cube 2.0 is basically just a very powerfull w-lan Cube, that stores every expirience in real time instead of timely updates every now and then, so that really isn´t a must have for Post-humans as they are in the net at all times, becoming something like small Aleph´s themself, I mean, it´s not unrealistic to think that a posthuman might fork himself off to be a real world posthuman fighting, while a split part / copy of him reminds in the net to do other stuff. Of course that would be dangerous as I can imagine Aleph has a very big eye on them all the time, might even injet parts of him into their "code" to make them something better, even if they loose their humanity in the process... but once you are reduced to a thought, an electronic signal on the web, a flickeing 0/1, how human are you really in the end?

Yea it's not really about the specific LHost, I agree with that. The Bodhisatttva is just a very good model, actually I think it's the same type Asuras get. Of course any LHost for use by a Posthuman needs a Cube 2.0 but basically they are independent of Body.

I don't know though if this independence starts with installing a Cube 2.0 in your current body which offers constant access to the Maya-sphere OR if there is some other process where basically your Cube is extracted and fully uploaded so you can THEN use any body with a Cube 2.0 you're given access to...

As for "how human are you really in the end?": well.... POST-human, I guess ;) that's the whole point. If this development wouldn't remove you far enough from humanity to not be human anymore then it wouldn't really make you a POSThuman.

I guess we're still lacking enough information about how someone becomes a Posthuman in Infinity's context...

9 hours ago, Hexer said:

I don't know though if this independence starts with installing a Cube 2.0 in your current body which offers constant access to the Maya-sphere OR if there is some other process where basically your Cube is extracted and fully uploaded so you can THEN use any body with a Cube 2.0 you're given access to...

Even in N1, it was a process where you Cube was extracted and then fully uploaded to the net, and then you'd drop your mind into any handy body.  Kinda like The Major does in the GitS comics (especially in GitS2 Human Error Processor).

9 hours ago, Hexer said:

I guess we're still lacking enough information about how someone becomes a Posthuman in Infinity's context...

Yeah, I think we're going to need to wait for the Aleph book.

6 hours ago, Section 9 said:

Even in N1, it was a process where you Cube was extracted and then fully uploaded to the net, and then you'd drop your mind into any handy body.  Kinda like The Major does in the GitS comics (especially in GitS2 Human Error Processor).

Do you know if there is any more info available that I could read about it?

I guess I could get a Cube 2.0 implanted one day and kinda be "Posthuman light" as a step towards the end goal as than enables you to use "Quantronic Jump" which lets you jump into Remotes or other LHosts you have access to. I guess it would be quite a step towards Posthumanism but not the full deal. Thats something for the future though. As I said: there is some further character development to do first.

Actually the more I think about it, going "Full Posthuman" might be something that would make the character leave the realms of player characters and become an NPC.... But that would be ok, too as there are a lot more steps to take on the way as I said.