Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pepelegit

Small slots in the Alpha bag?

8 posts in this topic

Am I the only one disappointed in the slot size of Battlefoam's infinity foam trays? I recently picked up an Alpha bag from a friend of mine (I think it was 2.0, but not 100% sure), and it's currently sitting on a shelf at home while I transport models in an old hardcase. Every tray devotes 16 slots to a 1.5inch tall size, and that seems really short. I field Ariadna, and out of 40+ models, maybe 6 are small enough to fit comfortably in those slots (an S2 silhouette doesn't even seem to quite fit). My bases are probably a little higher than the default slottas, but when the silhouette doesn't even fit...
I've seen lots of really positive reactions to the bags, so I'm just wondering if I'm somehow the only one that feels this way? I started to transfer my minis over but only got about 3-10 miniatures into each tray, out of a potential 26 slots.
I could cut the trays up to increase the slot size, but that seems to defeat the whole purpose of having a bag designed for a particular product line.

You're definitely not the only one who feels that way. The bags were designed for back when Infinity models were much smaller and before we got the new, recent scale. They work fine for the older stuff, but not really too well for the newer stuff. Of course, BF hasn't updated their bags or done anything with their Infinity since they made them. I'm a bit disappointed in mine too and plan on gutting them and then doing magnetic racks and magnetizing all of my models.

1 hour ago, Pride of Rodina said:

You're definitely not the only one who feels that way. The bags were designed for back when Infinity models were much smaller and before we got the new, recent scale. They work fine for the older stuff, but not really too well for the newer stuff. Of course, BF hasn't updated their bags or done anything with their Infinity since they made them. I'm a bit disappointed in mine too and plan on gutting them and then doing magnetic racks and magnetizing all of my models.

They work "okay" at best for some of the older models.  

Good to know I'm not the only one, I guess. I've been playing since late second edition, so I have a lot of the older minis, but even they only sometimes fit in that small slot.

Weird choice on their part.

I'm sure playing Ariadna only makes it worse, too. Lots of wolves and bikes, no TAG... it's basically a list of all the reasons I didn't buy one of these in the first place, grin. I had just hoped it would be a *little* useful now that I've inherited one. Ah, well.

2 hours ago, pepelegit said:

Good to know I'm not the only one, I guess. I've been playing since late second edition, so I have a lot of the older minis, but even they only sometimes fit in that small slot.

Weird choice on their part.

I'm sure playing Ariadna only makes it worse, too. Lots of wolves and bikes, no TAG... it's basically a list of all the reasons I didn't buy one of these in the first place, grin. I had just hoped it would be a *little* useful now that I've inherited one. Ah, well.

They're alright if you buy the different foams that you need, but also as an Ariadna player, the bag doesn't really hold all of my Ariadna models in. There are way too many bikes and other 55mm and 40mm models, so even if you get the right sized foam to hold a bunch of S2 troops, you won't really have room for the other things. With TAK coming out in the near future, I imagine the problem will only get worse.

I have come to standardize on the Feldherr system. I use it for over a dozen different game systems now. They eve have an Infinity The Game page with suggested foam load outs. The fact that any combination of half and full size trays fit into any bag or storage box let you customize to no end.

Glad I checked the forum this morning, I was planning to order this bag Friday.

you can order a custom bag with bigger tray slots. Personally My USARF fits in it just fine but they make many other tray layouts for other games. Just look under the small trays and you will find ones for warmachine and 40k designed to hold bigger models.