Monster

Soo antipodes

22 posts in this topic

Hi.

By now i own most ariadna that i feel are what speaks to me.

But now i see the antipodes and hear how great they are, but i just dont get it ?

Can you explain this why are they so great ? How do you use them, what missions are they a must ?

Ect.. do dogwarriors not serve the same purpose ?

Sorry i am not the sharpest with grammar, english is not my first language.

- Monster

Antipodes are a pack of cheap camo markers that move across the board lightning fast and tear into the heaviest of armor with ease. They have high CC and will generally always be attacking in groups, which boosts your CC even further. They are a great weapon for disposable first turn suicide missions to kill off an entrenched heavy infantry/TAG.

Dog Warriors don't have camo (making it hard to individually Discover and Shoot them on approach, plus crucially giving them Surprise Attack), don't have B3 attacks in melee at PH 17 (assuming you get all 3 in there), don't have 6-6 MOV, don't generate a regular order (the pack controller, useful for backup smoke), don't have sensor, and cost more. 

But that's fine. Their purpose is very different. Antipodes are for killing the biggest piece they can get into (sensoring/re-caming as needed on the way) and promptly dying. I can count the number of times they've survived till my next turn after wrecking some big nasty on one hand. 

Dog warriors are for double chain rifling groups of enemies or lobbing grenades at them (if they dodge or you want to spec fire) meaning they are geared towards clusters of opponents. They bring their own smoke and have multiple wounds so the delivery mechanism is very different than camo markers, and then they are a pain to get rid of once they get there due to the high PH (dodging with smoke), ARM 3, total immunity and, hopefully, multiple wounds still. 

Apart from both being dogs and both being good in melee, they are about as far apart as you can get in this game heh :D

IMO you're looking at it wrong - Dog Warriors and Antipodes serve entirely different purposes. 

Dog Warriors are there to disrupt your opponent's plans overtly - jump into a position where you have LOS to important pieces (ideally multiple important pieces, like a link) and prepare to lay down double templates when your opponent activates a model. Chain Rifles put your opponents in a zero-win situation - if the matchup is good, you slam them with 2x Chain Rifles. If the matchup is bad, throw smoke. Basically, they're good at threatening clusters of troops behind cover. If your opponent doesn't leave anything exposed for your Spetsnaz to murder, teach him the error of his ways by blitzing him with a Dog Warrior. 

Antipodes are more of a flashlight and scalpel, with a bit of fear rolled into it. Antipodes' chief benefit is mobility, and camo definitely helps this (you can move-move with impunity - if your opponent attempts to DIscover just make sure you end your move out of LOS). They're pretty much our only cheap source of Sensor (which address a chief Ariadna vulnerability - we aren't great at dealing with Camo). In addition, they're good at ganging up on a tough model in CC (they're fantastic in CC). Resist the urge to run them like furry cruise missiles - unless you need to use them as Sensors, hang back using them to threaten your opponent's important pieces from moving up. Your opponent knows what they are, so they can either castle, or lay out pieces to attempt to Discover them. Ariadna has great long-range active turn pieces (specifically the Spetsnaz HMG), so use him first to pick off models who can discover them on the approach. If they castle, approach with the Antipodes then Surprise Attack a particularly problematic piece. If your opponent doesn't advance, they've already done their job as a threat. 

Antipodes: SENSOR, potentially killing one hard target, smoke launcher on controller

Dog Warriors: multi-wound warband for killing chearleaders

They are totally different tools.

Keep them back and for sensor until there is a clear path to a target.   Once that opens up, they will shred pretty much anything they can reach.  Don't rush them forward turn one and hope to rip apart your opponent's army, that's not how they work.   In any given game they might get one good kill, maybe two.  Their real strength is in their ability to harass and as a precision strike team.  Handler is a nice bonus, comes with smoke and is just as good as any other model to watch board edges for pesky drop troops. 

As a side note: if you do plan to use them make sure to read their rules very closely.  The antipode rule is very complex, and the more you read it the better you will get at understanding their strengths and weaknesses.

Thanks for the replies, they seem a little aggressive but maybe its my english i was just making an observation about a unit i have yet to field i figured i would run them how i run doggos.  Anyway i like what you guys are saying and they are a totally different unit that seems like it has a application that is sorely needed in my army, sometimes i struggle with camo spam and heavily entrenched HI that i dont want to throw a bunch of orders at.  and am now sorry i did not buy them instead of desperados.  i may also have missed they have camo :(, and i love camo.

15 hours ago, Triggerpuller9000 said:

IMO you're looking at it wrong - Dog Warriors and Antipodes serve entirely different purposes. 

Dog Warriors are there to disrupt your opponent's plans overtly - jump into a position where you have LOS to important pieces (ideally multiple important pieces, like a link) and prepare to lay down double templates when your opponent activates a model. Chain Rifles put your opponents in a zero-win situation - if the matchup is good, you slam them with 2x Chain Rifles. If the matchup is bad, throw smoke. Basically, they're good at threatening clusters of troops behind cover. If your opponent doesn't leave anything exposed for your Spetsnaz to murder, teach him the error of his ways by blitzing him with a Dog Warrior. 

Antipodes are more of a flashlight and scalpel, with a bit of fear rolled into it. Antipodes' chief benefit is mobility, and camo definitely helps this (you can move-move with impunity - if your opponent attempts to DIscover just make sure you end your move out of LOS). They're pretty much our only cheap source of Sensor (which address a chief Ariadna vulnerability - we aren't great at dealing with Camo). In addition, they're good at ganging up on a tough model in CC (they're fantastic in CC). Resist the urge to run them like furry cruise missiles - unless you need to use them as Sensors, hang back using them to threaten your opponent's important pieces from moving up. Your opponent knows what they are, so they can either castle, or lay out pieces to attempt to Discover them. Ariadna has great long-range active turn pieces (specifically the Spetsnaz HMG), so use him first to pick off models who can discover them on the approach. If they castle, approach with the Antipodes then Surprise Attack a particularly problematic piece. If your opponent doesn't advance, they've already done their job as a threat. 

this helped me out alot about understanding the different units roles.  anyway i have some questions about this amazing unit.

how does the camo interact with the handler? and if it doesnt is it just her on the table with a bunch of camo markers? how do you keep her safe then, she seems pretty important.

other question and this is more of a personal one, but how often do you bring them? are they like core in your army or is it very dependent on the mission for like an ITS.

Thanks in advance :)

The handler is a completely separate unit, the only real interaction is if the handler dies and they must start in the same combat group. They don't have to deploy anywhere near each other, though it's obvious that you've brought the Assault Pack as they're the only S5 camo troops in Ariadna. 

I'd say I bring them at least half the time. 

thank you so much

Antipodes are the only tool in the game that lets you actively hunt for hidden deployment models without spending a boatload of orders to do it. The look on an opponent's face when you sweep the entire midfield and they suddenly have to dig in their carrying case for their multiple Clipsos, Ninjas, whatever is hilarious. 

2 minutes ago, Barakiel said:

Antipodes are the only tool in the game that lets you actively hunt for hidden deployment models without spending a boatload of orders to do it. The look on an opponent's face when you sweep the entire midfield and they suddenly have to dig in their carrying case for their multiple Clipsos, Ninjas, whatever is hilarious. 

I've done this and revealed a few ninjas and Oniwabans; it s was great. Then I proceeded to eat them with the Antipodes (just kidding the Ninja killed two members of the pack by its self and then remained engage with the third one that was Immobilized). They were not pleased when they found out Antipodes could do that. I was very pleased :) 

Hi guys so i actually tried them out today and they worked pretty great i was against combined, and the chomped down an avatar, or well gave it 2 wounds so my spetsnaz could finish it off (with his knife!) so i am sold, i like how they can bust open armor and the camo unit moving at mac 5 towards you really scared my opponent.   anyway i did sensor with them and my opponent revealed two shrouded and  2 mines my antipodes then killed one of the shrouded, and lost two of their number, but that one guy went on to deal the two wounds to the avatar later in the game ap ccw ftw! :)

2 hours ago, Barakiel said:

Glad you had a good experience with them!  You might need to re-check the rules, though, since if you have only one of them it is permanently immobilized.  The relevant line is:

• Each member of an Assault Pack must always be within the Zone of Control (ZoC) of another member of the same Pack that is not in a Null state. For example, in a three-strong Assault Pack, each member must always have at least one of the other two in their ZoC.
  • A member of a Pack who is outside the ZoC of other member enters the Immobilized-2 state at the end of the Order that happened. Place an Immobilized-2 Marker (IMM-2) beside the straggler's base. The Immobilized-2 state is canceled automatically at the end of any Order in which the isolated Antipode is within the ZoC of at least one other member of his Pack.

11 minutes ago, ToadChild said:

Glad you had a good experience with them!  You might need to re-check the rules, though, since if you have only one of them it is permanently immobilized.  The relevant line is:

• Each member of an Assault Pack must always be within the Zone of Control (ZoC) of another member of the same Pack that is not in a Null state. For example, in a three-strong Assault Pack, each member must always have at least one of the other two in their ZoC.
  • A member of a Pack who is outside the ZoC of other member enters the Immobilized-2 state at the end of the Order that happened. Place an Immobilized-2 Marker (IMM-2) beside the straggler's base. The Immobilized-2 state is canceled automatically at the end of any Order in which the isolated Antipode is within the ZoC of at least one other member of his Pack.

oh okay thanks i did not think about that :) well he also sepsitorized some of my guys and then we remembered he couldnt do that afterwards so we both cheated, but thanks :) a little unknowingly

1 minute ago, Monster said:

oh okay thanks i did not think about that :) well he also sepsitorized some of my guys and then we remembered he couldnt do that afterwards so we both cheated, but thanks :) a little unknowingly

This game has a lot of rules with a lot of interactions.  Even when you're a pretty experienced player you'll still sometimes play a game and then later realized that someone accidentally cheated.

Yeah most of Ariadna is immune to Hacking and Sepsitor, but we have some of our own rules to watch out for. The Antipodes are a hive mind, and without a buddy they start to lose it!

ToadChild: yeah i find that happens alot almost once every game, also at tournaments. i have like 60 played games with my tohaa and with them i still forget some things. now with ariadna as a new faction for me there is alot to remember. but i really like the army and the playstyles that are associated with it

Good info.  Thought about getting this unit, now I may have too 😀

Couple of questions just to help further understand them.

1- Camo.  Is it necessary to use camo markers that are the size of the base?

2- Orders.  With them being Irregular, they pretty much go first.  But then can the Handler give them a Regular order?

1 - Yes, you must use 40mm camo tokens to represent them.

2 - Unlike impetuous they can use their irregular order at any point during the turn, and you are allowed to allocate as many regular orders from their order pool on them as you would like. 

3 hours ago, Momo234 said:

1 - Yes, you must use 40mm camo tokens to represent them.

2 - Unlike impetuous they can use their irregular order at any point during the turn, and you are allowed to allocate as many regular orders from their order pool on them as you would like. 

Good to know.  Thanks.

Antipodes are Frenzied. Which means they are NOT Impetuous till they kill something.

As for Camo tokens. Since there are no other models that 40mm camo markers could possibly be in the Ariadna faction, what I do to mark if they are in camo is to just use the models and stick a camo token next to the base if they are camo'd.