Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Keyrott

What's your favorite part of the Tohaa lore?

13 posts in this topic

So I'm getting the siren's call of Tohaa again, even though I swore off them ages ago. However, I was reading @Dasaan's writeup for the Triumvirate sectorial and heard mention of the blurb about the Gao Tarsos and the Haqqislam woman. I had never even noticed it before, but it's a cool little aside to show how brutal Tohaa can be when their facade of alliance is broken. What's your favorite parts of the Tohaa lore? Are important parts of Tohaa lore present outside of Human Sphere N3?

My favorite is their pitch about being inheritors of the "T'Zechi", the one known race of knowledge seekers who weren't looking to exploit the ancient thing.  Second to that is the old tales of their hayday, before meeting the Combined Army, when the Errant Fleet sought to explore and enlighten, in a very Star Trek vein.  I love the idea that a superior alien race was so worn out from fighting the Combined Army that even the little Human Sphere looked like a good ally.

The reason I hate the Gao-Tarsos blurb is threefold.  One, it's not a story, merely a fanservice to postmodernism and nihilism.  Two, it was deliberate and intentional–Gutier in an old interview said there was a second version of the story, where he lets the lady on her way.  But that's not really a story, is it, and isn't very "badass", so she had to die.

Finally–Infinity needs good guys and bad guys.  You may not think you believe in Good and Bad, but you do.  Even postmodernists believe in evil, they just call it "bigotry" or "problematic" or something else.

With how colorful and kitschy Infinity is, I don't see a credible reason to keep it "dark and gritty" in service of a warped sense of realism.

Having clear good and bad actors in the story also makes it easier to work a campaign like Wotan.

I like the moral ambiguity that seems to be building in the Tohaa. A lot like Dasaan mentions they've gone from being the star treky good guys to weary and desperate. And to me I think the Gao Tarsos story is supposed to show some of that. That they're at a point where once they would have saved that woman without a doubt. But many are running out of patience and now they are beginning to manipulate and warp truth to try and get where they need. 

Similar to the idea that Tohaa have great difficulty lieing pharamonically. I get the feeling thats starting to change the Tohaa have begun to learn to lie (ie: the Triumvirate).

Theres a whole rise and fall arc in here that reminds me a great deal of the Shasvastii stories. Where the Tohaa are at this point where they can either move back towards their origins or away into the darkness. 

There is a great deal of mystery tied up in the Digesters that appeals to me as well and I sort of like to think that they have been placed back in time by another race, possibly the Tohaa themselves? Like a great big research project where the future Tohaa are trying to do something big (like keep the universe from dieing or escape it or something). So they send back recording devices to try and collect all the info they can. Hence why the Tohaa are the only ones not trying to take, its like its a part of them. I dont remember if theres any hints of that in the background though. 

(If thats true it also makes the Triumvirate more interesting to me as a sort of cancer cutting into the Tohaa's own grand project.  Eating away at it from within)

On 11/07/2017 at 11:36 PM, Keyrott said:

However, I was reading @Dasaan's writeup for the Triumvirate sectorial

Is it located somewhere?

51 minutes ago, Ken_N_Jo said:

Is it located somewhere?

Yonder.

On 7/14/2017 at 10:52 PM, Dasaan said:

That seems more like wishlisting.  Not to sure how accurate that is going to be.  

1 hour ago, tat2spyder said:

That seems more like wishlisting.  Not to sure how accurate that is going to be.  

I clearly separated the wishlisting from the knowns and reasonable guesses.  If it was more like wishlisting, there would be 1 Merc, Yuan-yuans, and the rest would be new Tohaa releases.

Im basing my Aztec themed tohaa along these sort of lines. Basically after so much war and fighting certain elements of tohaa society are become more ruthless and separate. My theme is that as resources become more scarce, the metabolic power for the symbiotic armor calls for some 'alternate' sources, and these tohaa are more than happy to make it happen to save the rest of them. It make the whole 'good guy' thing a little batman esk, living beyond the norms of society to do the most good.

#tohaamasterrace. More Eldar arrogance and less Tau fish face please.

I really hope this becomes a thing.

1 hour ago, Thaddius said:

#tohaamasterrace. More Eldar arrogance and less Tau fish face please.

I really hope this becomes a thing.

Thats actually the opposite of what I am after. I want desperation forcing the question of morality, eldar is a simple case of a magnifying glass with ants, and the infinity world is so much more layerd than that.

I think that if Tohaa has to pick a colour is the grey.
They are not bad people, and I think it thanks to their interaction with the T'zechi (contrary to CA interaction, for example).

They are and old race and they suffered a lot against Fenrig and now CA. They are right now iat one point that fighting for defeat the CA and survive as a race it is their primary objective. And that has a consequence, forcing them to act inside this gray spectrum of strategies.

I believe that the Trident (the faction that I like to play) is the brighter part of the Tohaa, the ones that are not just using the Human Sphere as a meat-shield against CA, but also want humanity survival and have a good relationship with them

Then come the Triumvirate, the darkest part of Tohaa, the ones who will sacrifice everything and everyone to survive and defeat the CA. They are the ultimate expression of the Machiavelli's "end justify the means" (even sacrificing human beings or the entire human race).

33 minutes ago, Vanther said:

They are the ultimate expression of the Machiavelli's "end justify the means" (even sacrificing human beings or the entire human race).

Humanity makes a nice Meatshield.

Besides, you cannot trust a deaf-mute race... I mean, the communicate using just sound!

56 minutes ago, Abrilete said:

Besides, you cannot trust a deaf-mute race... I mean, the communicate using just sound!

They just open their mouths and make vibrations at you. Its so crass.