KillerCrom

Berserk vs Martial arts.

Question

If you use berserk to make the CC roll a non ftf, is the penalty from the enemy's Martial Arts from lets say level 3 impose the -3 to hit?

I was thinking no from what I could find, but that is old forum posts from 2009+ when MA L3 gave you +3 ARM. And I can see that it imposes the negative to hit because even in a non ftf roll of someone shooting some one using Mimetism still incurs the negative to hit...

10 answers to this question

3 hours ago, KillerCrom said:

If you use berserk to make the CC roll a non ftf, is the penalty from the enemy's Martial Arts from lets say level 3 impose the -3 to hit?

When reading the charts, please keep in mind that their meanings are defined in the text:

How to Read CC Charts

Some CC Special Skills give a trooper a series of MODs and advantages that are displayed in Charts with the following elements:

• Attack MOD: A MOD to the CC Attribute of the user when making a CC Attack.
  • Opponent MOD: A MOD applied to the Attribute of an enemy when making a Face to Face Roll.
  • Damage MOD: A MOD to the PH Attribute of the user to determine the Damage of a successful CC Attack.
  • Burst MOD: A MOD to the B value of the user's CC Weapon (Knife, CC Weapon, Pistol...) when making a CC Attack
  • Type of Damage: Special effects applied to the Damage done in CC by the user.
  • Special: General special effects the user can apply.

In other words, Oppponent MOD only applies when you're making a face-to-face roll.

3 hours ago, KillerCrom said:

I was thinking no from what I could find, but that is old forum posts from 2009+ when MA L3 gave you +3 ARM. And I can see that it imposes the negative to hit because even in a non ftf roll of someone shooting some one using Mimetism still incurs the negative to hit...

Why are you reading forum posts from second edition, when Martial Arts did that sort of thing?

As martial arts does not say anything about being only for face to face rolls it's modifiers should also apply when using two normal rolls. So berserk attack as the part of berserk that changes the ftf to normal rolls gives you +6 and an opponent using martial arts lvl 3 gives -3. So in total an attack +3.

Berserk does not alter other cc skills. You may be thinking of natural born warrior  which negates martial arts.

Ok.

Reading solkan's post I might be wrong

:)

Because that is what came up when googled berserk and martial arts for infinity.

Now all that beong said,  if a camo token runs into a gal it cant surprise attack if the gal zerks. Cause SA relies on a f2f roll

12 hours ago, Daboarder said:

Now all that beong said,  if a camo token runs into a gal it cant surprise attack if the gal zerks. Cause SA relies on a f2f roll

My reading is that surprise attack is written the same as martial arts, so would still work against berserk.

Teach me to go off memory....you are right. No f2f clause

4 hours ago, mightymuffin said:

My reading is that surprise attack is written the same as martial arts, so would still work against berserk.

Neither Surprise Attack nor Martial Arts 1, 3 or 5 applies a negative MOD to your opponent when one or more characters use Berserk. Read @solkan's post.

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/CC_Special_Skills

Opponent MOD: A MOD applied to the Attribute of an enemy when making a Face to Face Roll. (Underline emphasis added)

4 hours ago, Daboarder said:

Teach me to go off memory....you are right. No f2f clause

Except you were correct initially. Surprise Attack is a CC skill with a CC chart. The wiki has chopped off the important section into its own page.

Interesting.

Because by that younwould exclude ikhol as well.

But ikhol specifically has an example of it affecting berzerk

45 minutes ago, Daboarder said:

Interesting.

Because by that younwould exclude ikhol as well.

But ikhol specifically has an example of it affecting berzerk

I guess because the text of the i-kohl skill specifies that it forces a negative modifier, which overrides the general rules for opponent mods in CC