Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tagakoner

Guided, spec fire and targeted state

13 posts in this topic

Hi all

I am still rather new to infinity.

Our area has a LOT of sectoral players so link teams are seen in almost every game and I am looking at interesting ways to try and counter/deter them. 

I only recently happened upon the targeted state rules and how it interacts with speculative fire and guided fire.

My question is how useful/usable is it in Yu Jing?
Assault hackers can use the spotlight program to set an opponent in a targeted state, but they can always reset as ARO and we have to 'hit' them at WIP -3 and burst 1, which sounds pretty bad.

But it does sound like fun to sneak a tiger hacker in close and then spec fire them to smithereens.

Its usefull but you have to get the odds in your favor. I recomend you bring an evo hacker since it allows you to reroll a hacking attempt with a command token which will allow you to have another chance to hit them if they fail their reset. I also recomend the guilang forward observer as his surprise shot, camo and high will give you a pretty good chance to mark them.

You also need to think about who and with what are you gonna make use of spec fire or guided the best platform for specfire is the wuming but its also the most expensive. The other options are cheaper on points but have higher SWC cost so its a tradeoff. Guidded on the other hand its pretty easy as there is only one platform in the entire army.

One thing to keep in mind with Yu Jing specifically is the biolocater rules. It lets a Kuang Shi drop to the unconscious state, but targeted, and thus allowing you to shoot at it  and splash damage to enemies, often with a shotgun, sometimes with guided ammunition). Shooting guided and speulative shots over walls into targeted people isn't bad, but it can be a bit order instensive. Also consider Sat-Lock with a Weibing Remote. Usually it's not easy, but when paired with an EVO remote you lose the WIP penalty to Sat-lock to also (and sometimes more easily) get enemies in the targeted (and revealed if camouflaged) state. That EVO also pairs well with the Tiger Soldier you're considering.

Yu Jing has two sources of Nimbus Grenades, which really help by debuffing Link team bonuses with -3 BS and -1 B shooting through it. 80% of the time the usual way of dealing with links is by "slicing the pie" by attacking/killing one at a time through positioning, shooting through smoke with an MSV-2, high burst, or other means. Taking advantage of template weapons on their active turn or reactive turn also helps.

Hi, thanks for the advice!

@Greysturm: I was thinking of using the Multi-rifle+L.grenade Launcher Wu Ming, he has a very decent BS13, and should all my plans go awry, I still have a BS 13 multi-rifle wielding HI to bully the mid field with. I also completely forgot FOs can cause an enemy to enter the Targeted state, and since I often bring a guilang, I might just try it. It also seems more likely to pull off than the hacking attempt (at least without the EVO hacker).

@Stormygeddon: I never realised one can target you own Kuang shi when the are targeted, that could be a wonderfully dirty trick to pull off. I also realise that spec fire can be somewhat order inefficient, but I really like to have as many options on the table as possible. Just having some spec fire threats on the table already threatens link teams and forces them to spread out more, which in turn makes it easier to "slice the pie" as you put it.
Out of interest sake, what access do we have to sat-lock? 
I recently started playing with the Zhanying agent, with the MadTraps and sensor, and have been having a blast. He is such a tool kit. In my previous game my MSV's got assassinated and I was locked down by 2 TO camo snipers who were also covering the objectives. I rolled a nimbus grenade and moved my Zhanying into cover in the nimbus and drawing LoF to one of the snipers. He shot at me and I dodged (successfully, quite lucky) and then triangulated fire back the next round. My burst 2 vs his burst 1, in a bad range band for him, me in cover, and him firing through a Nimbus area. Killed him out right. 

Both of you suggested maybe taking an EVO-hacker, what are your experience with them? They seem somewhat tricky to get the most out of.

Cheers

Sat-lock is limited to Weibing. Think only Nomads have a non-REM source of Sat-lock.

EVO Hackers I think you either have to go all out and take a full REM list (and hope you get a table that's recommended density rather than typical "terrain is fun" density) or you have to realize that you can't make use of the full toolkit. It's a 25 point standard hacker with some fancy deluxe qualities, all in all not a bad price even if all you do is buff a Rui Shi all game - but if your Weibing has opportunity to get close to a TO camo or similar it basically immediately pays for itself.

The evo is about finding what you want it to help you with since it has a myriad buffs and uses. I have used it in a lot of ways to get the most of other troops.

I normally use to improve the odds of tiger drops and hacking support. Its caleidoscope and reboot supportware are great at stopping enemy hacks and the reroll may give you the edge you need in a quantronic face to face. My meta doesnt make use of many camo infiltrators so i havent had the oportunity to try satlock at its fullest, although its probably great vs ariadna. Overclock gets a bit wasted on our repeater rems as our weapons are normally better used in supressive fire in the reactive turn. Team pro is great if you want your links to stay together after an unlucky roll or a team leader suicide run. Its baggage is also pretty usefull whn you need points near your deployment to secure areas and to restock crazykoalas/madtraps or panzerfausts.

I would recomend you run one and find where it can help you the most. Like all units it takes a bit of tinkering to get the most out of it.

Don't forget the Son-Bae Yaokong. I'm just trying it for the first time with my ISS, but it seems to have great potential when its smart missile launcher is paired up with a FO. I believe it gets +6 to its BS of 12 and does not require LOS if the target is in a Targetted state.

Can someone please confirm or correct me? I don't want to lead anyone astray. :)

Also, when a FO attempts to Target someone, is that a face-to-face roll?

5 minutes ago, Mastiff said:

Don't forget the Son-Bae Yaokong. I'm just trying it for the first time with my ISS, but it seems to have great potential when its smart missile launcher is paired up with a FO. I believe it gets +6 to its BS of 12 and does not require LOS if the target is in a Targetted state.

That is indeed how Guided works. Don't forget that your opponent still gets to Dodge at PH-3 and that their EVO/normal/defensive hackers can add cumulative -3 BS through ARO.

6 minutes ago, Mastiff said:

Also, when a FO attempts to Target someone, is that a face-to-face roll?

Are you rolling and directly affecting an enemy trooper that is also rolling and directly affecting your trooper? Then it's a face to face.

Forward Observer is a BS Attack and follows the same rules as BS Attack. It's just got a crap range band. Try to combine it with Triangulated Fire on the Weibing for that sweet 75% chance of marking someone up to 96" away.

Thanks for the extra info. The move from vanilla to ISS has forced me to learn so many new rules! 

Yeah, the Wu Ming MultiLGL is probably one of my favorite models.  Even better, it's 0SWC!

On 7/26/2017 at 5:46 PM, Mahtamori said:

That is indeed how Guided works. Don't forget that your opponent still gets to Dodge at PH-3 and that their EVO/normal/defensive hackers can add cumulative -3 BS through ARO.

Are you rolling and directly affecting an enemy trooper that is also rolling and directly affecting your trooper? Then it's a face to face.

Forward Observer is a BS Attack and follows the same rules as BS Attack. It's just got a crap range band. Try to combine it with Triangulated Fire on the Weibing for that sweet 75% chance of marking someone up to 96" away.

75% chance? FO is a WIP roll - 3 for triangulated fire. Weibing's WIP is 13. That is a roll of 10 or less at B1 to succeed... am I missing something?

1 minute ago, sevsterino said:

75% chance? FO is a WIP roll - 3 for triangulated fire. Weibing's WIP is 13. That is a roll of 10 or less at B1 to succeed... am I missing something?

Forward Observer is Burst 2.

1 minute ago, Mahtamori said:

Forward Observer is Burst 2.

Now I feel stupid :P