AdmiralJCJF

Wotan @ Interplanetario - What Bostria Had To Say

60 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Darkvortex87 said:

besides @Deep-Green-X, do we have a theorical date for the official results and the implication of player choices?

Thanks

No idea, the last I've heard is that it's due after the interplanetary.

Keep in mind that this campaign might have an impact, but not the one you expected. We may not have stopped the whole CA fleet, but what if CA starts the next campaign on svalerheima with less territory, or less point on their territory because the Raxora didn't make it? I would be okay with that.

Anyway, time to start painting my White Banner army. Snowball fight with xenos scum awaits!

note: i wonder if the massive drop of activity across all faction was, somehow, related to W40k 8th edition. It's precisely what i witnessed in my area.

41 minutes ago, Sedral said:

Keep in mind that this campaign might have an impact, but not the one you expected. We may not have stopped the whole CA fleet, but what if CA starts the next campaign on svalerheima with less territory, or less point on their territory because the Raxora didn't make it? I would be okay with that.

Anyway, time to start painting my White Banner army. Snowball fight with xenos scum awaits!

note: i wonder if the massive drop of activity across all faction was, somehow, related to W40k 8th edition. It's precisely what i witnessed in my area.

A good chunk of it definitely was, no doubt about that. 40k is a giant in the industry, and a lot of the newer player simply went on to try it out when frustration hit them in the campaign I think. I managed to wait until the campaign was over till I tried out 8th edition, but it was hard at times when frustration hit really hard.

Anyways, looking forward to Svalarheima! 

On 05/08/2017 at 1:45 PM, Sedral said:

what if CA starts the next campaign on svalerheima with less territory, or less point on their territory because the Raxora didn't make it? I would be okay with that.

that is a huge what if. If they start with 1 or 2 territory we have no way of knowing if they were railroad into having those territory no matter how wotan went; or if they were meant to start with one more but the events at Wotan reduced that.

Starting with less point doesn't matter at all, the AI historian only look at points made at a location, not including any starting point, so starting with a lesser buffer won't do much anything.

I think combined army should be taking a back seat for the fluff in the third campaign, putting the focus of everything on a Combined Army invasion will have the same result every time, a faction that is at best average sized gets ganged up on in the end game to "protect humanity". 

O12 send security forces to Svalarheima to search for Shasvastii, the low risk of Sepsitor attacks meaning that everyone can contribute manpower, PanOceania and YuJing get "assistance"  from the other human factions and even the tohaa in securing their territory for a few months then when few shasvasti are found the transports arrive to ship everyone home, and at that point YuJing attack PanOceania territory and vice versa, both hoping to grab a few more miles from the other while blaming the other factions... 

15 hours ago, cazboab said:

I think combined army should be taking a back seat for the fluff in the third campaign, putting the focus of everything on a Combined Army invasion will have the same result every time, a faction that is at best average sized gets ganged up on in the end game to "protect humanity". 

O12 send security forces to Svalarheima to search for Shasvastii, the low risk of Sepsitor attacks meaning that everyone can contribute manpower, PanOceania and YuJing get "assistance"  from the other human factions and even the tohaa in securing their territory for a few months then when few shasvasti are found the transports arrive to ship everyone home, and at that point YuJing attack PanOceania territory and vice versa, both hoping to grab a few more miles from the other while blaming the other factions... 

Meh, that's a shitty premise as well, that way it'll be like Flamia all over again, no matter what Yu Jing or PanO does, in the end they will have lost territory to others, basically making this campaign a loss for them. 

If you start a campaign by saying "Everything belongs to Faction X and Y, and everyone can now grab areas" that's just a massive gangup on X and Y and all they do all campaign long is trying to protect what should rightfully be theirs, alliances will be stupid and blabla....frankly I fear the setting will actually be something like that, but I hope they come up with some better idea really. 

Well no, because nobody else can actually keep territory. They might be embarrassed by some ateks stealing tessium refining techniques, or hindered by some space hippies trashing a TAG factory, but since everyone is leaving at the end,  there would be two metrics of control. One set of objectives would be open to everyone, but the other would be a shifting border between the hyperpowers. The fluff brief should be pretty beneficial to YuJing as well, you might have been screwed over in both campaigns but if everyone else is given neutral objectives, who is their in the fluff that flat out won't work with (or for) YuJing? Smooth things over with the tohaa over narooma, and suddenly you have options to open channels with everyone. Pano will always start with a minimum of 2 factions ready to take their shit when they aren't looking. Throw in a couple of cube copying rumours, some ethically questionable facilities experimenting on prisoners etc, and suddenly it's hard to justify siding with blue team. Yes that is unfair to pano, but I think they will adapt to it far better than anyone else would(definitely better than CA) , since they have both numbers and determination, which has given them victory in both campaigns. 

All of it though hinges on faction objectives being determined by the fluff ahead of time, and avoid the situation were pano are left in the clear by setting everyone else up. 

Actually on that train of thought, what if the map was mostly in pano territory? PanOceania players might call foul, but again they are the only faction capable of surviving as the focus of the campaign... 

That is a solid argument, @cazboab that makes an effective use of the Warconsole as it is.  Minimal changes to the map can get the "Border" seesaw up and running.

And in Yu Jing's defense, they ended this campaign in much better standing than last one.

On 8/10/2017 at 2:19 PM, Robock said:

that is a huge what if. If they start with 1 or 2 territory we have no way of knowing if they were railroad into having those territory no matter how wotan went; or if they were meant to start with one more but the events at Wotan reduced that.

Nah it's a pretty little one actually. Really it's nothing a little piece of background text can't fix.

"The initial plan for the invasion of Svalerheima was to send a ship right into the Wotan Blocus as a distraction for small shaasvatii ships. Then:

- 1) the CA ship is destroyed and doesn't make it through the blocade/manage to make it through but suffered too much damage to be of any use for the next step.

- 2) the ship pass the blocade and can reinforce the shaasvasti corps already there.

It seems the pano forced in the blockade managed to sabotage the ship beyond salvation, so we'll have to entrust everything to the shaasvasti corps."

Boom, here you go. Took me 5 minutes. Could be easily improved, by making it more flavourful and stuff, but you got the idea.

There are zones of "no mans land" on Svalarheima which could easily be used.

The initial area can expand, perhaps into PanOceania and Yu Jing territory later (phase 2-3 if that structure is used again).

Or it could start with PanOceania territory for us to defend, but be open for everyone else (maybe include a Nomad trade legation as well, they ARE the largest faction after all), with perhaps expansion into Yu Jing areas later in the campaign.

While the implementation could have been improved (especially for Yu Jing) the core idea of forcing some factions to defend while others can just attack is good.