nathonicus

Scenario: Checkpoint Atari

13 posts in this topic

I am working on building some scenarios for a narrative event next year. I want them to be fun, and ideally people should be able to play them with any army, but I want to break out of the ITS mold.  We will either allow multiple lists or sidebars, so that people can adapt to themes.

This mission is covert-ops themed, so will reward stealth, vision shenannigans, and speed.

Curious to know what you think!

Checkpoint Atari

The defender has been alerted to that a corporate security unit  has stolen sensitive information,  and  must capture the spy at a security checkpoint, and secure evidence of the attacker’s presence by capturing an enemy combatant alive.  The attacker must pave the way for the espionage unit to break through and disappear into the city, and leave no trace of their presence.

Special Rules

• CAPTURE: The CASEVAC skill may be used on enemy models.

• CHECKPOINT: Set up 4 security gates along the centerline of the table, 2 spaced 8” and 16” from the left side, 2 spaced 8” & 16” from the right side. These represent security checkpoints along highways. The CSU can only pass the centerline through a checkpoint.  

• CIVILIAN VEHICLES: You’ll see.  

Attacker

• 1 Point Breach the checkpoint - Open with Engineer, Lockpick Program, or Anti-Matierial at least one security gate, and have it unsecured at end of game.

• 3 Points Exfiltrate the CSU - The Attacker receives a CSU unit to add to their army list.  The CSU unit does not start on the table. At the beginning of the attacker’s 2nd turn, they must place the CSU in contact with a board edge in their deployment zone. The CSU generates 1 irregular order.  The CSU is considered  exfiltrated when it exits a board edge in the defender’s deployment zone.  

• 2 Points Leave No Trace - All models in the attacker’s army must either exit the board or be in a marker state (CH, IMP), and no attacking, unconscious models may be left on the table (they must be casevaced)

Defender

• 3 Points Capture the CSU - The CSU is considered captured if at game end: it is an IMM state and in the ZOC of a defending model with no attacking models in it’s ZOC, or it is unconscious and in a CASEVAC state with a defending model, or has been CASEVACED off the board by the defender.  

• 2 Points Capture an Enemy - CASEVAC an enemy model other than the CSU off a table edge in the defender’s deployment.

• 1 Point Secure the checkpoint - All checkpoints are  in closed position or have a defending model in base contact with no enemy models in base contact.

CSU (Motorcycle)

Mov CC BS PH WP ARM BTS W S

8-6 14 12 10 12 0 3 1 4

CSU (Dismounted)

Mov CC BS PH WP ARM BTS W S

4-4 14 12 10 12 0 3 1 2

Special Skills: MetaChemistry L1, Sixth Sense L1

Weapons: Pistol, Knife

Equipment: Motorcycle

SECURITY GATE ARM 3 BTS 3 STR 2 WIDTH: Cargo  Hackable (WIP Roll)

The narrative sounds interesting. Scenarios like this one make me feel much more immersed into the world of infinity. Since you are asking for feedback, I will give you the following points to consider:

1) if your idea is to have your narrative event as a day long tournament-like event with multiple games being played throughout the day, this scenario seems a bit complicated. If you invite about 16 people to play this mission and others which are similar, chances are that the players have not thoroughly read and understood your scenarios. Maybe you can scale down on the complexity a bit. If you want to play this as a part of a campaign, where everyone plays this once in one evening, it should be fine. 

2) Attacker-Defender scenarios are interesting, but much harder to balance. You'd have to play this scenario multiple times before unleashing it on the players. 

specifics to your scenario:

1) I guess you mean it is possible to casevac enemy troopers who are unconscious. 

2) Is there a wall between the gates? If yes, thats problematic because it would be easy to cover the gates. If no, what is the point of the gates?

3) So far, this scenario seems to favour the defender. How many rounds are being played?

5 hours ago, prophetofDoom said:

The narrative sounds interesting. Scenarios like this one make me feel much more immersed into the world of infinity. Since you are asking for feedback, I will give you the following points to consider:

1) if your idea is to have your narrative event as a day long tournament-like event with multiple games being played throughout the day, this scenario seems a bit complicated. If you invite about 16 people to play this mission and others which are similar, chances are that the players have not thoroughly read and understood your scenarios. Maybe you can scale down on the complexity a bit. If you want to play this as a part of a campaign, where everyone plays this once in one evening, it should be fine. 

2) Attacker-Defender scenarios are interesting, but much harder to balance. You'd have to play this scenario multiple times before unleashing it on the players. 

specifics to your scenario:

1) I guess you mean it is possible to casevac enemy troopers who are unconscious. 

2) Is there a wall between the gates? If yes, thats problematic because it would be easy to cover the gates. If no, what is the point of the gates?

3) So far, this scenario seems to favour the defender. How many rounds are being played?

Good points!

I handed this mission as a print out to two players, and tried to refrain friom explaining too much.  They got it for the most part, so I think this is about the upper limit of complexity I'd like to have. We came up with a few things that needed clarifying. 

Specifics:

1.  Yes, it removes the 'friendly model' restriction from CASEVAC

2. I let the players set up the terrain without much direction tonight, because I wanted to see if this mission is playable without a tailor-fit board.  The players seemed to get the feel for the checkpoint, and built walls around the gates.  They did mention that I needed to describe a bit in the fluff that the gates were basically security checkpoints which had the ID for the CSU, and would incapacitate their ride.  The gates do need to be clarified - they do not block LOS, but the CSU can only pass through the centerline using  the gates.  It was suggested that the CSU be allowed to dismount to cross the centerline in another location. Fluffwise, I'm fine with this - if they want to sacrifice mobility for ease of access, I think that's a fair trade. 

3. I am glad it appears the scenario seems to favor the defender - as I was afraid it would favor the attacker!  As played tonight, the attacker won, with 3 points for opening the gates and exfiltrating his team. The CSU did exit the board, but in the same order it was knocked unconscious. Which led to me needing to clarify a bit. 

Clarifications:

1. The gates do not block LOS. Any other unit, and civilian vehicles, may pass freely through the gates. They have downloaded the ID of the CSU, and will disable that persons vehicle so that they may be apprehended by authorities.  This is why the gates must be opened or destroyed.

2.  If the CSU is rendered unconscious in the same order that it exits the board, it does not score points for the attacker.

3. Civilian vehicles are placed on the attacker's board edge at the start of the game. At the beginning of each player's turn, they advance 8" towards the gates, and then towards the defender's table edge.  They may be hacked (BTS 0) to immobilize them, but may not be targeted by attacks or templates. If any model is in the path of a vehicle when it advances, the unit is allowed an ARO.  if the unit does not Dodge the vehicle, the unit suffers a DMG 13 hit. 

another idea I had was to declare the central line to be a fence of infinite height  that can be shot through, but not walked through. It should be possible to destroy the fence with antimateriel weapons creating narrow gates. You could still keep the checkpoints that way. 

I am surprised that the attacker had such an easy time, especially with the exfiltrating. I liked the exfiltrating idea, but it seemed to be hard to accomplish. This is only me talking from the perspective of my imagination, mind you. 

4 hours ago, prophetofDoom said:

another idea I had was to declare the central line to be a fence of infinite height  that can be shot through, but not walked through. It should be possible to destroy the fence with antimateriel weapons creating narrow gates. You could still keep the checkpoints that way. 

I am surprised that the attacker had such an easy time, especially with the exfiltrating. I liked the exfiltrating idea, but it seemed to be hard to accomplish. This is only me talking from the perspective of my imagination, mind you. 

I like this idea!

The exfiltration was aided by a link team, and he was playing combined, so he had fewer models.  

Ideally, the leave no trace objective will encourage people to play differently - more cautiously and with an eye towards their exit.  Maybe instead of having to leave off of a board edge, a model could use a skill to call in a transport, and then every other model just has to be in his ZOC by the end of the game. Kind of like calling the Skyranger in XCom.

I am currently working on missions that simulate more realistic commando operations where elite troopers attack a position of regular troopers who are taken by surprise.  These ideas are a bit of a step away from regular infinity and I am not sure about the balance. I really like your exfiltrate idea. Just seems difficult considering that dead troopers would still be a piece of evidence and it seems to be virtually impossible to caseevac the corpses and the wounded. So please tell me, how many rounds were played in your scenario? The attacker seems to have to do a lot, and may have needed more than 3 or 4 rounds. 

Sorry, I should clarify- dead minis do not have to be exfiltrated, as they are removed when dead. So only unconscious models. Dead men tell no tales.

How did the casevac of enemy soldiers go? I remember creating a ton of problems with that when I wrote "Save the Scientists". 

Would you hate me if your "leave no trace" idea would one day end up in a 20x20 Commando Edition? It is very tempting to steal it from you. 

16 hours ago, prophetofDoom said:

How did the casevac of enemy soldiers go? I remember creating a ton of problems with that when I wrote "Save the Scientists". 

Would you hate me if your "leave no trace" idea would one day end up in a 20x20 Commando Edition? It is very tempting to steal it from you. 

Well, the defending player was more interested in trying to glue-gun guys or shoot them with his TAG than he was about accomplishing the mission, so it never came up.  I can see it being problematic, but I think it should work ok as the attacker should have some guys up in the Defender's face to protect the CSU... in theory. 

Man, steal away! I'm glad you like the idea. :D

my solution to the problem with casevac was that shooting an enemy who is in casevac with one of your guys is essentially like shooting into close combat, risking the death of your own. 

On 8/12/2017 at 7:05 PM, prophetofDoom said:

my solution to the problem with casevac was that shooting an enemy who is in casevac with one of your guys is essentially like shooting into close combat, risking the death of your own. 

I like it!  

3 hours ago, nathonicus said:

I like it!  

In this case, you can steal my solution to it as found in 20x20 Save the Scientists. 

This looks great, man! We'll give it a test run in Paris this fall. Keep 'em coming!