Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vaulsc

Height of Silhouette when 'vaulting objects'

Question

We call it "vaulting". When a silhouette moves into contact with a terrain obstacle lower than its height, the rules allow the model to travel through it freely with no hindrance. But does it:

1. Pass through like a ghost? Meaning it stays on the same ground level with no vertical movement?
  2. Climb into the air, as if scaling a slope, raising the height of the silhouette, staying at this altitude as it crosses the obstacle, before returning to ground level?

Take the Fraacta in this photo as an example. If it starts on one side of the box (from zen terrain, poland) but moves directly from one side to the other in one short skill, does she count as being higher up part way through the move, for the purpose of ARO's? Or does she just treat the box as invisible, ghosting through it.

Furthermore, is there anything that allows the active player to simply choose which of the two versions apply, when this carries out?

Obviously she could always just end her move on the box which leads me to think that she gains more height moving "through it". What about pieces that wouldn't allow her to end her move there because of their shape?

Finally, don't reply to this post with a "yes", "no", or "it's 1, it's 2" answer. Reply with your way of interpreting the rules so that we can following your line of reasoning, logically.

20292772_10154795564346717_9042050297951

11 answers to this question

N3 Frequently Asked Question Updated: 1.1
Q: Can troopers move through obstacles that do not exceed the height of their Silhouette Template? Then is that movement considered “up and down” or does it count as if they were always at ground level?
A: Troops can vault and they are considered to be moving “up and down”.
Related Pages: General Movement Rules

FAQ pg 4:

"Can troopers move through obstacles that do not exceed the height of their Silhouette Template? Then is that movement considered “up and down” or does it count as if they were always at ground level?
Troops can vault and they are considered to be moving up and down."

So I don't think there is any argument that it's 2.
It's not optional, you increase your height and risk additional AROs by vaulting.

Doesnt the actual faq even have a picture?

1 hour ago, Daboarder said:

Doesnt the actual faq even have a picture?

No.

I don't think so.

No, but I did a diagram in the rules thread that preceded the FAQ entry.

5 hours ago, IJW Wartrader said:

No, but I did a diagram in the rules thread that preceded the FAQ entry.

Do you still have the old diagrams that you can repost?

Digging up the old threads, like this one:

it looks like some of the links/uploads have broken over time.

I'll have to dig up the originals and upload them to my own server.

I'm trying to remember those images and the discussion from the time.  From the way I read that FAQ, you gain the height even when crossing over a piece of terrain narrower than your base.  At least at one point, I think forum consensus was that you ghosted through narrow terrain, but gained height for wide terrain.

1 hour ago, ToadChild said:

I'm trying to remember those images and the discussion from the time.  From the way I read that FAQ, you gain the height even when crossing over a piece of terrain narrower than your base.  At least at one point, I think forum consensus was that you ghosted through narrow terrain, but gained height for wide terrain.

It's interesting to hear where the idea of "ghosting" came from.

But I agree that the FAQ is pretty clear on what happens when you vault, and I don't see how you can argue for a distinction on what you are vaulting.

4 hours ago, AdmiralJCJF said:

It's interesting to hear where the idea of "ghosting" came from.

But I agree that the FAQ is pretty clear on what happens when you vault, and I don't see how you can argue for a distinction on what you are vaulting.

I was just referencing the OP.

18 hours ago, Vaulsc said:

Pass through like a ghost? Meaning it stays on the same ground level with no vertical movement?

Edit: Oh, you meant the idea, not the term.

Not to raise old specters, since as you said the FAQ is pretty clear.  It was re: the fact that the terrain is not wide enough to support your base.  In that case, the assumption was (incorrectly) made that you could not therefore exist in an elevated position.

No problem-o. Played a game yesterday and my opponent didn't know whether Tarik's vaulting move would incur an ARO from my mighty Aquila guard, so as always, gave him the benefit of the doubt so he could glide through untouched, with the understanding that I'd post it up briefly on the forum later. We read the rulebook at the time but didn't have the FAQ on hand.

@Hexa

...of course, Tarik sucked up a missile ARO in the following order anyway. #PanO problems