Khadoran

So the E-drone

63 posts in this topic

I am going to try him out, he seems really good!

im playing onyx and i come to the conclusions i cant risk my LT to be hacker, makes an easy target to get loss of Lt and to break the link. So this is when this guys come in.

any good tips on how to use him, what program do you use when you are playing second? Im thinking overclock and put those ikadrons in good position, dunno, maybe il even bring a fracta now, is boarding shotgun ok? hard to get SWC for the spitfire.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try using the LT hacker as a backup for when another model in the link dies. This works specially well with the Nexus.

As for the E-drone, I particularly love it, but what program to use is super situational. Do you want to protect your hackers? Your HI? are you going for the buffs?

I generally keep my E-drone in group 2, even if I'm running only 11 orders, so I always have one order left for that buff, and usually I go for either Marksmanship lv2 on the Unidrons or Q drones, or Kalleidoscope/Reboot to keep my big guys rolling

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite use is casting a wide repeater net with Ikadrons and R-drones to catch any link teams moving through, then Isolate members of them with Exile.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Nexus Lt all the time and I've never had them die from hacking.  Even when facing a hacking heavy opponent, you can just drop a nullifier.  If they're part of a Unidron link then they shouldn't be moving around too terribly much.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the E-Drone is one of the most underrated units, or at least underused units in CA. Overclock with 2 Rs and the 2 Ikas alone is amazing. Exile is situational but potentially devastating. It's a fast specialist, and it brings a gun unlike all other EVO drones. I almost always bring it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EVOs become worth it if you're using more than 1 or 2 of the benefits. 

If you're just looking to run Supportware, there's probably something that can do it cheaper. 

But running Supportware, boosting Satlock, and giving a Fraacta +3 to its AD: 4 roll, now we're looking at some value. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rate the Edrone solely based on being a 6-4 specialist with a combi and marksman lvl2.  Don't underestimate how good he can be in the active turn or in cover in suppressive fire for ARO.  Exile upgrade program and the other EVO benefits are icing on the cake!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we had AD deployable repeaters or infiltrating camo deployable repeaters I'd take the E Drone all day every day. Which is probably why we don't get those ;)

Otherwise, I have trouble justifying the E-Drone. I sometimes run it in Shasvastii because it's cheaper than the Noctifer, which is our only other supportware hacking device. But 4 points extra gets you that specialist with a 25mm base, TO camo and dogged for a desperate button-push, none of which the E Drone has. I've never once pushed a button with that big fat ass. 

The thing that kills the E drone for me in other sectorials is it can't do eff all against heavy infantry and tags. At least a normal hacking device has the lame-o gotcha and god-like overlord. On top of that our regular hacking devices have sucker punch, which is borderline khd level of effectiveness. I thought re-boot would be good for TAG defense when I first read it, but in practice I've found it barely worth the order spent on it since having to re-set every turn and being unable to re-camo without giving up a free possession attempt locks down tags in the active turn anyway. Finally, are you really going to air drop troops every turn? I don't want to lose access to sucker punch and overlord just to save a single order a single turn running controlled jump. 

I'll admit that if you're running double ikadrons, an R-drone and an M-drone I could see taking the E-drone over a Nexus or a Vanguard for access to overclock, but that's about all I've come up with. I think EVO hackers in general need a little power boost to make them more attractive. Two things would suddenly make me seriously consider them in any faction. If you could combine their AD advantage with controlled jump, that would make them really interesting. And if they had a program like Overclock that provided marksmanship 2 instead, I'd be all over that. I think CB was a little too conservative with EVO hackers, and a little too aggressive with KHD's. 

But I'm sure at the next tournament I'll play against someone who will completely school me with their E-Drone ;P

 

12 minutes ago, kanhead said:

I rate the Edrone solely based on being a 6-4 specialist with mimetism, a combi and marksman lvl2.  Don't underestimate how good he can be in the active turn or in cover in suppressive fire for ARO.  Exile upgrade program and the other EVO benefits are icing on the cake!

Wait, what? My crappy E-Drone doesn't have mimetism. The EI must have given me a reject because he knows i'm an Exrah sympathist.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SgtHulka said:

Wait, what? My crappy E-Drone doesn't have mimetism. The EI must have given me a reject because he knows i'm an Exrah sympathist.

True, I forgot he was the one drone without! 

Point still stands though, it can get a lot of work done in the active & reactive phase if you think about it as an attacking specialist piece that incidentally brings some pretty nifty other buffs. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did not realise he loose all the anti TAG/HI/remote programs, well that kinda sucks. I stil think hes great but I should probably not use him as my only hacker.

I guess a LT hacker backed up by an e-drone is pretty safe or even an umbra legate if im feeling it :)

Really like the rerolls for failed hacks, its kinda like addring a burst 2 when defending against hacking, also the -3 mod on enemy hackers if you go second seems interesting.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Khadoran said:

I did not realise he loose all the anti TAG/HI/remote programs, well that kinda sucks. I stil think hes great but I should probably not use him as my only hacker.

I guess a LT hacker backed up by an e-drone is pretty safe or even an umbra legate if im feeling it :)

Really like the rerolls for failed hacks, its kinda like addring a burst 2 when defending against hacking, also the -3 mod on enemy hackers if you go second seems interesting.

You can't use command tokens on the reactive turn, so no defensive re-rolls.

but yeah, the E-drone is a pure support piece, so using him as a sole hacker is a bad idea, at least in my opinon. However, as @TheDiceAbide said, it can be used to disrupt fireteams as well as buff up your remotes and help protect your stuff. All in all, I still don't get why people say it's too expensive or bad for what it does, especially when our E-Drone even gets a gun while the other EVOs don't.

It is very much not a plug and play model, though. It should be put on a list with a goal in mind, even if that goal is just 'Keeping my Lt Hacker alive longer"

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaRedOne said:

You can't use command tokens on the reactive turn, so no defensive re-rolls.

but yeah, the E-drone is a pure support piece, so using him as a sole hacker is a bad idea, at least in my opinon. However, as @TheDiceAbide said, it can be used to disrupt fireteams as well as buff up your remotes and help protect your stuff. All in all, I still don't get why people say it's too expensive or bad for what it does, especially when our E-Drone even gets a gun while the other EVOs don't.

It is very much not a plug and play model, though. It should be put on a list with a goal in mind, even if that goal is just 'Keeping my Lt Hacker alive longer"

Honestly I put one in almost every list, it has too much utility to leave on the bench... and I almost never take hacker lieutenants, haha. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just played a 200p game and i kinda needed the 5th model for my link team so went with hacker lt instead of e-drone and a lt to save points.

But the fact is, after the first turn i never cast a program since i had a nullifier down, so it was kinda wasted, stil i needed a hacker to field remotes and I cant go fancy at lower point games.

Will try it in 300p though, bit sad i cant reroll stuff in reactive turn, thats when i wanted it :/

feels to scary to run around with umbra hacker with all the cheap killer hackers around, even though i love the profile.

im going to try umbra hacker, specialist lt and e-drone at 300p when i get a chance, think it will be nice. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely love the E-Drone and he's a key pick when making Onyx lists. The Nexus Hacker I really like as a secondary hacker for supporting my REMs, but this guy is my go-to.

Exile is nuts, use and abuse that program with an R-Drone. The EVO Overclock can be really nice as I tend to rock lists with an M-Drone, R-Drone & 2x Ikadrons fairly often and it's a lot of flash pulses dazzling people down the table and can really blunt an advance when stacked with a Unidron Fireteam and a Q-Drone. I haven't used Goodnight yet but it seems grand on paper, I play in a TAG heavy meta so it will come up at some point. Being a specialist is great for back-field objectives and  the Combi Rifle can be a nice surprise with Suppressing Fire if you get it lined up. His standard supportware is pretty standard but with the Unidrons I use it every turn if I can, same goes for the Q-Drone. If I need both, then the Nexus might get used, or my Umbra Legate+.

His defensive programs are great if you need 'em, so don't forget them. One that does come up is he also has MultiTerrain, I try to play with a variety of terrain elements on my tables so it does come up occasionally and it was really sweet in Strikezone Wotan. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like onyx force's hackers but they are terribly vulnerable to killer hackers without the aid of an E-drone. CA has the best EVO hacker without a doubt. The advantages of Evo are subtle so its often overlooked but its damn effective. With how dependent onyx force is on our REMs, it makes sense to buff them with hackers. Exile to break links is pretty awesome and the EVO support programs are great.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Nexus Hacker LT is fine against enemy hackers - thanks to that nullifier. :)

On 8/16/2017 at 11:15 AM, BlackCadian said:

I think the E-Drone is one of the most underrated units, or at least underused units in CA. Overclock with 2 Rs and the 2 Ikas alone is amazing. Exile is situational but potentially devastating. It's a fast specialist, and it brings a gun unlike all other EVO drones. I almost always bring it.

Exile is the thing that puts it over the top. I've used an E-drone as area denial just by running up with an Ikadron or the E-Drone itself so that a link team has to run through the repeater area. To lock down a link from using the Active Turn AND get closer to buttons is a pretty rad thing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rattlernxt mentioned the e-drone was a key piece for the winner of the gencon invitational. Apparently exile tore through rattlernxt's morat link teams when they played the final round on the top table.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SgtHulka said:

@Rattlernxt mentioned the e-drone was a key piece for the winner of the gencon invitational. Apparently exile tore through rattlernxt's morat link teams when they played the final round on the top table.

Yup. Even against Morats it's worthwhile. So much disruption. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hecaton said:

Yup. Even against Morats it's worthwhile. So much disruption. 

How? Morats can't be Isolated and Exile states that the Fireteam breaking is a side effect of the Isolation. I think there was a thread about this, can't remember if any conclusion was found. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ItsUncertainWho said:

How? Morats can't be Isolated and Exile states that the Fireteam breaking is a side effect of the Isolation. I think there was a thread about this, can't remember if any conclusion was found. 

Fireteam still breaks. Exile does two things - 1. Isolate the target and 2. Break the target's fireteam. Obviously against Morats 1 doesn't matter but 2 still happens. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hecaton said:

Fireteam still breaks. Exile does two things - 1. Isolate the target and 2. Break the target's fireteam. Obviously against Morats 1 doesn't matter but 2 still happens. 

No, fireteam doesn't break, because cancelation of the fireteam is side effect (and is dependent on the isolation part, Basically fireteam cancalation is side effect of the Isolation state and not standalone effect) of the isolation and Morats cannot be isolated, so fireteam isn't canceled. @IJW Wartrader said it in thread about Bolts.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Melkhior said:

No, fireteam doesn't break, because cancelation of the fireteam is side effect (and is dependent on the isolation part, Basically fireteam cancalation is side effect of the Isolation state and not standalone effect) of the isolation and Morats cannot be isolated, so fireteam isn't canceled. @IJW Wartrader said it in thread about Bolts.

Citation in the actual rules? That's now how I've seen it played, it's not how we played that isolation zone in the Wotan scenario, and I don't think it follows from the wording. 

"Side effect" doesn't mean that it requires the main effect to take place, in the ways it's commonly used. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the HSN3 Rulebook.

 

Looks pretty straight forward to me. "As a side effect" is in the same bullet point as "Failing the BTS Roll". I don't think there is a way you can argue that they are unrelated. 
 

Exile.png

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hecaton said:

Citation in the actual rules? That's now how I've seen it played, it's not how we played that isolation zone in the Wotan scenario, and I don't think it follows from the wording. 

"Side effect" doesn't mean that it requires the main effect to take place, in the ways it's commonly used. 

here is the important parts from the rule book:

  • Failing the BTS Roll causes the target to enter the Isolated state, signified by an Isolated Marker (ISOLATED) in base to base contact.
  • As a side effect, the Fireteam is cancelled, even if the target was not the Team Leader, so the player must remove the correspondent Team Leader Marker from the game table.
  • Critical hits with Exile cause the target to enter Isolated state directly, bypassing the BTS Roll. As a side effect, the Fireteam is cancelled.

Look how criticals with Exile works. To me from it is pretty clear that fireteam cancellation is dependent on the Isolation state of the affected trooper.From this text is pretty clear that fireteam is cancelled, because of the isolation effect and not because it is aditional effect that happen efen if you cannot be affested by isolation state.

Also read these post from IJW:

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wartrader's words are meaningless, it isn't in the rules or an FAQ. That's why I asked for a citation in the actual rules. I play CA, after all, I'm well aware of the wording of Exile. The use of the term "side effect" doesn't mean that it requires the main effect to take place for the side effect to occur; in pharmacology, where the term "side effect" is used quite frequently, the intended effect does not need to take place for a side effect to occur. It doesn't say "If the target was isolated by the attack, their fireteam is cancelled, even if they are not the team leader." It just says "as a side effect" which basically means "effect in addition to what was intended."

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites