Blimps

Foamcore Terrain 2.0

19 posts in this topic

Build elements of various sizes and shapes that are still stackable, you'll be able to create very interesting variations.

3 hours ago, Icchan said:

Build elements of various sizes and shapes that are still stackable, you'll be able to create very interesting variations.

That's a great idea.  I've planned out four different sizes and shapes for the first round.  Here's what I have so far:

foamcore_09.jpg

In addition to the original 5x7, I've made plans for a 5x5, and two 7x7s, one with the corner cut out.  Either of the top two will stack on top of the bottom two while leaving some kind of 2nd story walkway in addition to the 3rd story roof.  I'm not sure I should make anything larger than 7" on a side as I think there is such a thing as a building that is too large, although I'm not sure what that size is.  How big is too big?

Even 8"x8" (Objective Room) is still good size. But exeeding that without scatter terrain or any other options to get at least partial cover could lead to quite unfun buildings.

Just out of curiosity, how wide are the gaps between your roof railings?

Since I went by a smiliar process back in the day (making the cardbuilding series for Datasphere), let me drop you a few hints.

In a moment. First, I like the playable interiors, but it is entirely a matter of taste. Second, the extra-heavy cardboard is a different medium, but the design principles should be just the same.

To the point:

I went for a standard size of a building (in my case being 10x20cm footprint, basically). From there on, a half-sized (10x10cm), one-and-a-half-sized (10x30cm) and L-shape (20x20cm on the outer walls of the L-shape) went on. Keeping the common denomination allowed me to stack them as-needed. I've added two bigger buildings to the set (one making for the objective room) to work as storage containers. There are also freestanding walls (iniitally designed for storage inside of a standard-sized building), flights of stairs and the like.

I have a different project planned, however, since the biggest problem I find, having dealt with a few table-worths of Infinity terrain, is storage. Well, I hope to make a set of guildings that would be storable (thanks to nesting) inisde of a standard sized printer-paper box. I have the numbers doen, now it is time to get my butt in gear and build it....

These are great! I saw some 40k terrain of a similar design, except everything was square and in increments of 6x6". First time I saw usable vertical space used in a game like that. I think you've really nailed it with these modular designs.

If you made the middle piece of the ladder one whole sheet, then glued the "planks" to that. Should be stronger. 

I'd be interested in any plans or textures you do for these. I've got a bunch of foamcore sheets just waiting to be used.

12 hours ago, Blimps said:

I am worried that the ladder will be easily damaged in transit and I wonder if I should just make a single sheet that hangs off and has a ladder texture on it instead of gluing a bunch of foamcore planks together.

If you magnetize your bases, you might try and make a paper ladder with magnetic metal backing. Then you could have your minis running up walls just like the Wiki diagrams! 

One thing that will help is to finagle the pieces on 8-1/2 x 11" or A4 sheets so we can print them at home without spending US$600 or more on a printer or going to a store. When we cut out the pieces, we can arrange them on the foamcore how we need to.

Looking really good, like the smaller top unit as it gives you more levels for your little dudes. 

One suggestion, 5mm wide strip of your photoshop magic to cover the exposed foam.

This is one sweet ideal.

It's been awhile since I posted an update so I thought I would post new pictures of some progress that has been made since last month.  I have enough buildings to fill out a table now and I've had a chance to set it up at a few local tournaments recently to get some feedback so things are moving along well.

foamcore_13.jpg

I have four non-enterable building shapes now.  5x5, 5x7, 7x7, and a 7x7L.

foamcore_14.jpg

All of the smaller buildings stack comfortably on the large ones.  Here is a 5x5 on top of a 7x7L with a couple of prototype staircases attached.  I will probably redo the staircase texture as well as extending them out from the building slightly so they sit flat on the floor. 

foamcore_15.jpg

I made a second version of the billboards with more interesting textures.  The large billboard allows units to peek out from either side on the 7" faces but blocks the sides on the 5" faces.  The small billboard allows units to peek out from either side on the 5" faces and allows S5 to see over them.

foamcore_16.jpg

Here is an early version of buildings with interiors.  These two are 5x9.  I am experimenting with different door and window arrangements so they don't block the railing attachments.  I used to have railing gaps on the short sides but it made the roof too clumsy to handle so I took them out and doubled them up on the long sides.

foamcore_17.jpg

Here are some 5x5 enterable buildings with a 7" bridge in between them.  I had originally used the same textures for the enterable buildings as the non-enterable ones but on the table they were hard to distinguish and we kept forgetting about units inside of them so I switched it up.  The new texture is less interesting than the old one but I think the distinction is more important.

Some other additions I have built in sketchup but haven't turned into foamcore yet:

• Stairs that descent parallel to the side of a building
  • 9x9L enterable building
  • Bridge that widens in the center with a railing gap for a billboard
  • A separate set of all buildings with a lighter texture set that would be appropriate for white foamcore since I have a pile of that laying about

Any other ideas?

4 hours ago, Blimps said:

...Any other ideas?

On 9/6/2017 at 1:35 AM, bugbait_nz said:

...5mm wide strip of your photoshop magic to cover the exposed foam.

What Bugbait said.  Exposed foamcore is ugly.  It distracts from your otherwise excellent work.  In lieu of a 5mm wide strip, you could also use a 15mm wide strip folded into a "|_| "  channel to cap the exposed foamcore, and apply the printed paper over it, or vice versa, if you do something interesting with the strip.  I recommend doing something similar with the corners of your buildings too.    Reinforce the joints and hide the gaps.

8 hours ago, Red Harvest said:

What Bugbait said.  Exposed foamcore is ugly.  It distracts from your otherwise excellent work.  In lieu of a 5mm wide strip, you could also use a 15mm wide strip folded into a "|_| "  channel to cap the exposed foamcore, and apply the printed paper over it, or vice versa, if you do something interesting with the strip.  I recommend doing something similar with the corners of your buildings too.    Reinforce the joints and hide the gaps.

I will admit that covering all of the exposed foamcore would certainly improve the appearance of the buildings.  However, it would make them much more difficult to construct. 

Part of what makes these structures come out so clean is that I don't have to be precise with the spray adhesive part of the assembly.  Spray adhesive is super messy and sticky and gets all over your fingers and everything else.  I can minimize this problem by spray adhesing entire sheets of printout paper to large sheets of foamcore then mat cutting out the individual components.  I don't have to precisely line everything up during the few seconds that the spray adhesive is still maneuverable and I cut away all the parts that have all the extra globs of mess on them.  

If I were to then cut out thin strips of paper, coat them in spray adhesive, and try to stick them to precut bits, the amount of spray adhesive I would get all over everything in the process and the trouble that I would have lining it up precisely before it dried would be considerable.  I don't think I'm good enough at this process to pull this off without making a huge mess and ruining a bunch of buildings.  I wish there were an easier way to get the textured paper strips onto the exposed foamcore, because making the textures for the additional surfaces wouldn't be a problem.

Excuses, excuses.  :P Spray on adhesive would be the wrong thing to use, for starters.  (I am well aware of its qualities, which is why I don't use it.  This forum's very own Eypyeash gave a nice post on rubber cement in the thread you cited in your OP, ah, here http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/22023-foam-core-terrain-template/?do=findComment&comment=453530 )

However, I posted a simple solution to hiding the exposed foam.  It's on my thread.  You may want to see it.  http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/15959-red-harvests-blog-back-on-top/?do=findComment&comment=977257

This is very nice! I was planning a modular building set as well, but this is already far more complete. Some suggestions:

- already stated: some strips (or printed deco tape) to cover up the foamboard (optional, perhaps a separate file)

- modular wall set

- use the roofs as small platforms/parkinglots/parks (with some attachable walls in the same height)

- 1 step stair when using the roofs as platform

- perhaps only have square buildings and the option to combine them under a bigger roof (like 2 5x5 buildings with a 5x10 roof, or 3 5x5 buildings under a 10x10 roof to have an overhang space under the roof)

- attachable balconies

- pillars to support a roof as a floating platform, or to support stairs and walkbridges to make some higherground routes

- keep the cut out windows and doors to make "plugs" so open buildings can be closed again on some sides

keep up the good work!

extra tip: print the strips on a sheet of sticker plastic / paper to cover up the foamboard cuts easy and without glue issues.

If you want, perhaps I can help with weathering and finetuning the textures in Photoshop (I'm a graphic designer and have some Photoshop experience).