Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott581

Question about base purchase

9 posts in this topic

Hello all:

I have purchased a number of micro art studio bases for infinity over the last few years, but this is a new one to me.  As far as I can remember, all the bases I have purchased have come with smooth, flat bottoms.  Last week, I purchased a pair of bases off of eBay that have indented bases with numbers/letters cast into the bottom.  I have a 40mm trash base with the "I1" cast into the bottom and a 28mm trash base with "I10" raised in the mold.  Both of them have sub-par definition to their details and even mold flash which I don't remember ever seeing before.  They were advertised as "Micro Art Studio Base," but did not have their original MAS packaging.  The seller has over 2,000 feedback and over 99% positive, so not a fly-by-night operator.  Has anyone else experienced this, or did I buy some fakes?

I buy mine directly from MAS. Three sectorials worth so far, and never, ever had any such experience. Though, of course, haven't used the Trash series of bases.

I have managed to buy a few second-hand minis mounted on supposedly MAS bases that almost certainly were bootleg copies: sub-par detail definition, extra bubbles of air, and somewhat indented bases. 

I guess the MAS guys would be grateful if you could pass them data on the seller, as well as some pics of those bases.

I have some 30mm and 40mm MAS Trash bases for some of my Wolsung miniatures and don't remember seeing anything like that on them. I'll have to double check when I get home though.

Hey

Bottoms of our bases are always flat, there's no chance those base came from us. So unfortunetly those are most likely fakes I'm affraid.

If you could post some photo of it and link this seller we would appriciate that.

cheers

Hi

Thanks to @Scott581 we could do some research and just want to inform all whose interested. Truth is those bases aren't directly from us - but are quite legal. We gave CoolMiniOrNot some of our products and let them prepare such plastic inserts on their own. Details aren't that good as our original resin bases but inserts got some uses. Suming up, projects are indeed ours, but such products are CMON's.

cheers

Thanks, good to know.  One further question though:

Are CMON or any other distributors, allowed to market these "new" non-resin bases as MAS bases?  With the lessened details, I would think you would want to differentiate the two.  Obviously, I don't work for MAS, I am just curious.

16 hours ago, Scott581 said:

Thanks, good to know.  One further question though:

Are CMON or any other distributors, allowed to market these "new" non-resin bases as MAS bases?  With the lessened details, I would think you would want to differentiate the two.  Obviously, I don't work for MAS, I am just curious.

I've got a bunch of both.  The CMON ones are quite a different product being soft plastic inserts into recessed plastic black bases - a classic round lip base (30/40/50) that doesn't match with infinity base sizes (25/40/55).  The MAS ones are complete resin, it's quite a different product when you compare the pictures. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0