Kiwi Steve

Unpainted miniatures

58 posts in this topic

I find that playing against unpainted miniatures is very difficult, particularly if I don't know the opposing faction well. On many occasions as models move it is easy to lose track of which is which as the are normally similarly posed models with guns. The main differentiator of models to me is the small details which aren't easily visible until a model is painted. 

Do other people have the same issue against unpainted models? 

Is it common for groups to require painted models to minimise this issue? 

Has anybody ever left models unpainted intentionally because this is a known advantage particularly against newerv players who haven't seen a lot of factions before? 

I find painted models easier to differentiate, but I've never found that that effects my play all that much (compared to my lack of experience and general misunderstanding of tactics).

My current Infinity group is extremely new, having only been going for a bit over a month, so quite a few players have unpainted models because they have not yet had time to paint them. Therefore, we have no issue with people having unpainted models, since we'd rather have people playing than wait for everyone to paint up their models. 

I have never seen anyone leave a model unpainted for a gaming advantage. Most of the unpainted models I've seen are from lack of time or lack of motivation to paint. To paraphrase an old saying, never attribute to malice that which can be attributed to laziness. :)

Yeah, I often find unpainted minis blend in together, especially when it is the entire army (one or two are not so bad).  I tend to ask my opponent to remind me what the model was.  If they are spending an Order, "which model was that again?"  If I am planning to attack something on my turn, "what was that equipped with again?"  By the end of the first round, I usually have it in mind what was where, even if all the models look identical.

I have never personally played in a group that required painted minis, but I have only played wargames in three different groups in my life.  I am probably not the best source for this.

Ew, not me.  I hate fielding unpainted minis, but I also love to paint and I really enjoy looking at the table after deployment and seeing how my force looks.  I actually used to paint models before I started wargaming, so when I first tried 40K I was keen to paint my whole force before I played my first game.  After switching to Infinity, it has been very rare for me to deploy an unpainted mini.

I really struggle to not field fully-painted forces, but that's mostly because I've been playing forever.  Seriously, I still have one or two of the Quick Start rules from the starter boxes sold in 2006 or 07 lurking around.

It's a lot easier to have your entire army painted when it's only 10 models and you can paint them one or two at a time.  I'm really struggling to get my Imperial Service painted, because I let it get waaay too big before figuring out a paint scheme.

But I totally understand people who don't have all their army painted.  All I ask for is progress.

Yes, having painted models helps with figure ID, especially with the new weapons sculpts that are much more similar than they used to be.

Personally if you are not gonna paint them I think just spray grey and ink them will make them look nicer on tabletop. Think only rules on it is there needs to be a way to see LoS on your models in ITS tournament.

3 hours ago, Cothel said:

I have 0 painted Infinity miniatures. If anyone has a problem with that then they can either A. Watch my children for hours and hours allowing me to have the time to paint my miniatures or B. Pay to have my miniatures professionally painted by some awesome professional. Honestly I would rather watch/spend time with my kids. They mean the world to me and are far more important than paint. (I barely have time to put my miniatures together anymore...)

C. I did offer to paint yours for you, if you pay the shipping ;)

I don't mind unpainted, particularly if the player is new or I can see they are making progress each week.  I don't like to field unpainted myself.

The problem of knowing what model is what though is very real.  I used to play Warmachine/Hordes and those models look VASTLY more different from each other than in Infinity.  Let's face it, we're talking about a couple hundred variants of "dude holding a rifle" for the most part.  Some of them are special promo or out of print models too that a new player wouldn't even know existed.  Add conversions and different color schemes and it gets pretty hard to know what's what if you haven't been around a long time.

Aside from unpainted, there is also "badly painted".  I've seen some models that just look like mud from across the table, I don't know what they are or what weapons they have.

So mainly I just ask.  I don't want to impose too much, so I just want a basic rundown of who is HI, who has an "interesting" weapon, who is a hacker, etc...  At our level as non-veterans I'll get by the best I can based on that and maybe over time I'll learn what some of the models look like for other factions.  I do know my own stuff pretty well at least.

I make no assumptions and if I can not identify a model or its load out instantly because of paint/converstion/pistol only I normally just ask often and every time before i expend orders.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't mind so much as long as it's clear and there are no profile switcheroos mid game. 

Makes me sad inside to see my fully painted armies against bare metal, but it's still a fun game.

I played a game once and spent half my turn lining up a perfect shot on an HVT which I swear was something else the turn before. (The model i mixed it up was now tucked behind a building not more than 2 inches away). The game was vs Ariadna and tracking nearly 20 unpainted minis proved too much for me. Needless to say I lost the game. 

Unpainted minis can be generally harder to see on some tables in addition to being less identifiable. This is what I've gotten from a game I've witnessed recently. On the other hand, paint wouldn't probably helped me because I don't know those factions very well, and judging by those minis I do know, it's often a matter of a difference as little as different boots or pose.

Armies that field numerous models can be a problem from this standpoint.

As far as my own models go... I've started with Infinity to play. I don't have great interest in "hobby part" as they call it. I would of course prefer mine painted, but I myself can only ruin them. My friends offered to pain some of them at one point, but I don't even have a slightest idea on how I want them painted :(

50 minutes ago, Barrogh said:

I would of course prefer mine painted, but I myself can only ruin them. My friends offered to pain some of them at one point, but I don't even have a slightest idea on how I want them painted :(

In that case it's easy: Just go with the original colors from the box and dossiers, and paint it with only washes. The general method is:

• Prime white (maybe zenithal priming will work well here, worth experimenting once you have a hang of the basic method, for now no complications)
  • Paint every part with a wash of the right color (only touch every surface once unless you want to deepen the color with more coats once it's dry, and soak away any undesired pooled excess with a damp brush, normal wash technique)
  • Done, you can optionally hit them with a matte varnish for durability.

With this method you can paint a truckload of minis in a flash. As for which washes, the Citadel and the Army Painter ones are good but the ones people always mention the most are the Secret Weapon ones, if you can get them try them out, otherwise just use whatever is easy for you to get as the whole point is to not make your life hard.

Alternatively there's dipping. Army Painter has basically made it their business to sell this technique, here's their guide (link is to a PDF). I don't quite like this for everything though as the minis end up rather dirty looking, which is good for a hardened soldier in the middle of war but not so much for the highly maintained super advanced robotic secret ops warrior. Of course this will work just fine if that's the look you're going for.

Either method will give you painted minis in a surprisingly fast time. They won't win any painting tournaments, but they will be painted and look cool, which is the objective B)

I've never heard of anyone deliberately not painting to gain an advantage, and I usually find that I have no issues keeping track of what models are what.  If anything, I have trouble knowing what they are in the first place, particularly against the less popular factions (in my meta), but generally once I'm told its a fusilier with HMG I remember it's a fusilier with HMG.  Although I will say, especially with the older models, I could see how it could be difficult to track unpainted models.

Without opening a can of worms, one of the things that really grinds my gears about this hobby is the 'paint snobs' the whinge about unpainted models and/or refuse to play against unpainted forces (I've never encountered such a person, but I have heard they exist).

I play with mostly unpainted models because as a father of 2 with a full time job if I refused to play with unpainted models I would never play a game again.  I want my models painted, and I want to do a good job of it, so I have to compromise.  At the end of the day, I'm not going to sacrifice my enjoyment of the hobby because I don't live up to a person's ideal that we all should have sufficient time and energy to crank out fully painted forces for every game we play.

Let's be honest though, you can paint a mini to an acceptable level in just 1 or 2 hours. 

I like @Section 9's comment. All I ask for is progress. 

My painting rate is about 1.5 minis a month, spending about 4 hours per mini. I aim to fully paint a 300 pt list for all my factions, which is generally how I choose which models to paint. However, If I only play 100 % painted armies then I can't play my Yu Jing, Nomads, Tohaa (oh god, they are far down the "to do" list). 

so, I find a middle ground is the best approach here. Painted armies are better for everyone, but at the end of the day we all meet up to play a game, so let's be friendly and enjoy it.

Meanwhile, you better be plugging away at it you assholes! :)

Totally agree. I don't mind unpainted armies, it's the Eternally Unpainted armies I don't appreciate.

as far as identifying models, the only ones that really give me pause are the old models. Where an HMG is smaller than a more modern representation of a combi rifle. That's a bit annoying. To counter it, I ask constantly what each thing is during their turn and mention paint would help identify them more.... Match annoyance with annoyance! 😝

Painted or unpainted isn't as important as marked LoF. I don't like asking every time which direction a mini is facing, so if I plan on playing an unpainted yet mini, I usually make sure to mark LoF on it as well. Or just use something already painted instead as proxy.

8 hours ago, Deathklokk said:

the old models. Where an HMG is smaller than a more modern representation of a combi rifle.

You what

The old models had the really big HMGs. You want tiny weapons, look at the newest ones. It's Vortex Syndrome all over again :scared-(-nahh-):

You can't use unpainted models to get an advantage, as painted models fight so much better ;)

-

That aside. Infinity is great in the way, that you can get away with just a handful of models. So I really find no excuse to play unpainted.

Eh time can be limited for alot of ppl, so I understand not being able to put aside time, or if they really hate it.

Still think ppl would be happier if minis were primed grey and inked, so the sculpts can at least be appreciated, Bare metal is hard to see the quality of a mini which you spent alot of money on. Seems a waste to buy infinity minis and not appreciate the details, might as well just use silhouette markers with name labels. Also priming may help differentiate between armies if both ppl turn up to a tournie with same faction and unpainted minis.

If only painting minis was a fast and easy as buying them, then I wouldn't have this intimidating pile of lead in my carry case... 

On September 17, 2017 at 1:22 AM, Mothman said:

Eh time can be limited for alot of ppl, so I understand not being able to put aside time, or if they really hate it.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime ;)

-

Sarcasm aside, I understand and do not condemn people for playing unpainted – but I much prefer playing with a group, that enjoy all aspects of the hobby, than just the part about spending money and making pew-pew noises. If not able to commit, then you really have to make up for it in personality.

I think @weeble1000 makes a very good and well-articulated point.

While it's cool to play against a painted army, I'd much rather play against bare metal than not have a game.

As someone with only semi-painted minis myself and limited time, my options are A) play with unpainted minis, or B) Don't play.  And as I'm sure you can understand, option B is not an option!

For anyone with long-term bare metal, I would encourage you to either 'zenithal prime' them (prime black then spray from above with grey/white), or prime them grey and put a black wash over.  It's quick to do and really helps bring out the details in the mini.