Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
don_writer

Why are their so few Morat women?

23 posts in this topic

Zerat, Anyat, Oznat, Raicho pilot

Why no female Vanguard, Yoagat, etc? CB is usually so good about having a more balanced gendered space with female models at least peppering most profiles. Curious if there’s a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Answer is very easy the most of the Morat regiments are gender segregated, so in Morat females can be only found in women regiments. We know that exist some mixed Morat regiments, but we haven't seen them yet.

I think the Treitak is mixed sex, if it qualifies as a regiment

InB4 the usual arguments that happen every time this topic gets brought up, maybe for once we can discuss it without the usual arguments popping up

As far as we know, the MAF tend to segregate units by gender, some of this is based on how the genders get lumped into certain roles in morat society, for example,  the Oznats are female because in Morat hunting parties, the role of 'beaters' was occupied by women.  Their job was to use packs of hunting animals to chase and harass the larger 'prey', exhausting and weakening it so the hunters stand a better chance of killing the quarry.

AFAIK The Treitak draws its members from across all regiments, kinda like you get selected to join the treitak for being really badass, so would end up being mixed sex

After reading the RPG lore for morats, it seems at least some regiments are mixed gender, while others are segregated. However, the RPG does not make it clear which ones aren't (I believe Rodoks, Yaogat and Suryat are mixed, along with the Treitak spec ops). However, I believe the true reason for morat models to be only male is to make them feel more like a horde. If you look at their faces, they all look the same, without any distinguishing features and somesuch.

If you put those on the other side of the table, really feels like you're facing an army of evil orc-like creatures. Works from a visual standpoint at least.

8 minutes ago, DaRedOne said:

(I believe Rodoks, Yaogat and Suryat are mixed

They are not mixed. We know from interview with Interruptor that all existing Morat units are segregated. You can see it here: http://www.data-sphere.net/exclusive-interplanetario-sneak-peeks-part-one/

Are Morat units gender-segregated?
Most of them yes, as the Morat society is a class- and gender-segregated society. They believe in the physical power and performing to the best of one’s ability, and males are simply stronger. There are mixed regiments that we haven’t seen yet, but most of them are indeed gender-segregated. Moreover, Morats, as a sectorial, were never created to have a Camo infiltrator within their ranks. They are a direct force. There are certain gaps in some Sectorial armies that will never be filled.

Ah, I hadn't seen that interview. Thanks.

I guess we have to hope some cool stuff shows up in the future then!

2 hours ago, leigen_zero said:

As far as we know, the MAF tend to segregate units by gender, some of this is based on how the genders get lumped into certain roles in morat society, for example,  the Oznats are female because in Morat hunting parties, the role of 'beaters' was occupied by women.  Their job was to use packs of hunting animals to chase and harass the larger 'prey', exhausting and weakening it so the hunters stand a better chance of killing the quarry.

My understanding was that the women were the hunters, tasked with tracking and brining down the game animals to feed the group. The men went out as a security force to protect the hunters from the rest of their planets wildlife. Without the warriors protection the hunters couldn't do their job. 

10 minutes ago, ItsUncertainWho said:

My understanding was that the women were the hunters, tasked with tracking and brining down the game animals to feed the group. The men went out as a security force to protect the hunters from the rest of their planets wildlife. Without the warriors protection the hunters couldn't do their job. 

Got my info from here: https://human-sphere.com/index.php?title=Oznat, I can't confirm if it's the same fluff as the HSN3 book as I'm in work.

I think it's cool that Morats are gender-segregated, as it makes them different from other Infinity armies, but at the same time, their women look so cool, so I wish we got to see more of them. Some more (and improved) Zerat profiles would be awesome, for example. Or just models for the profiles that we already have, I mean, the Combi rifle + flame thrower profile is really interesting, and so is the Forward Observer with boarding shotgun and grenades.

Yeah it's kind of an interesting take on things, and I think it's quite brave of CB to stick to their guns on the issue given the current climate.  I think a lot of people see 'gender segregated' and immediately assume 'discriminatory', (mainly because of the milennia of human history where this was the case), but I think the MAF have this interesting concept where both genders are equal, but separate, like the Morat military respects a high-ranking Zerat as much as they respect a high-ranking vanguard, but a vanguard will never join the zerat regiment and vice-versa.

Personally I can't get behind the zerats, I know people use them with success but I just don't grok the whole non-camo infiltrator is a faction that favours moving up as a unified force.

44 minutes ago, leigen_zero said:

Yeah it's kind of an interesting take on things, and I think it's quite brave of CB to stick to their guns on the issue given the current climate.  I think a lot of people see 'gender segregated' and immediately assume 'discriminatory'

Well, they're an alien species, we shouldn't stick to our human mores when thinking about Morats. Personally I like that distinction in aliens and I'm very interested in any fluff changes to Shasvastii. Or future Tohaa fluff.

44 minutes ago, leigen_zero said:

Personally I can't get behind the zerats, I know people use them with success but I just don't grok the whole non-camo infiltrator is a faction that favours moving up as a unified force.

They aren't bad, but it certainly feels like they need something more to balance their fragility. MSV1, Marksmanship L1, Stealth, Fatality...

1 hour ago, Stiopa said:

Well, they're an alien species, we shouldn't stick to our human mores when thinking about Morats. Personally I like that distinction in aliens and I'm very interested in any fluff changes to Shasvastii. Or future Tohaa fluff.

I like my aliens to be alien too, but in our easily-offended society it can be quite bold of creators to explore things that could get the dander's up in certain groups, aliens certainly don't need to share our human mores, but some folks will read a little to much into it and get a bit more riled up than they probably should.

Saying that, I would like to see some more female morat regiments, I think there's some good concepts out there that could be explored.  This is complete navel-gazing, but I think a oznat-like unit that's g:synced to a large-silhouette CC monster could make quite an interesting unit, like the tohaa dudes with the mutan/surda things. 

Keeping with the 'females are hunters' theme, perhaps a LI with DTW that can form a Haris, like the combat application of the 'beaters' at a hunt (i.e. a team that goes ahead of the hunting party, making lots of noise and disturbing the undergrowth to drive the prey species to flight).

12 minutes ago, leigen_zero said:

I like my aliens to be alien too, but in our easily-offended society it can be quite bold of creators to explore things that could get the dander's up in certain groups, aliens certainly don't need to share our human mores, but some folks will read a little to much into it and get a bit more riled up than they probably should.

On the flipside there are multiple things we should have a problem with, and often comments about "easily offended society" are showing up without any provocation. I say lets keep the politics out of this discussion entirely ;)

16 minutes ago, leigen_zero said:

Saying that, I would like to see some more female morat regiments, I think there's some good concepts out there that could be explored.  This is complete navel-gazing, but I think a oznat-like unit that's g:synced to a large-silhouette CC monster could make quite an interesting unit, like the tohaa dudes with the mutan/surda things. 

Keeping with the 'females are hunters' theme, perhaps a LI with DTW that can form a Haris, like the combat application of the 'beaters' at a hunt (i.e. a team that goes ahead of the hunting party, making lots of noise and disturbing the undergrowth to drive the prey species to flight).

Seconded. The G:Sync unit feels very much like a hunting party adapted for warfare. And Morats could certainly use some Haris options for warbands.

1 hour ago, Stiopa said:

On the flipside there are multiple things we should have a problem with, and often comments about "easily offended society" are showing up without any provocation. I say lets keep the politics out of this discussion entirely ;)

Yeah definitely, while I was writing that post I was definitely wary of accidentally dragging the discussion down that path.

7 hours ago, leigen_zero said:

Thirded. I really would love some extra warband options, and more alien looking beasties with badass ladies leading them.

Anybody watching Star Trek: Discovery? Klingon huntress with Ripper on leash, anyone? ;)

40 minutes ago, Stiopa said:

... Klingon huntress with Ripper on leash, anyone? ;)

Morat women would likely outsize most Klingon men. 

Kind like this:

tormund-brienne-game-thrones.png

But the end result being a gutted and dying male of whatever inferior species showed the disrespect to speak to the Morat female. 

18 minutes ago, ItsUncertainWho said:

Kind like this:

You've reminded me of Tormund speaking about Brienne to Hound. It was one of the most hilarious scenes in the show :D

10 hours ago, Stiopa said:

Anybody watching Star Trek: Discovery? Klingon huntress with Ripper on leash, anyone? ;)

Yes! caught that episode last night, that would be an excellent kind of beasty for Morats to hunt.

I would certainly enjoy a g:synch morat huntress, but I'd still rather have a morat Moran masaai huntress. Some peripheral weapons would address one of morat's weaknesses (first turn board control ) without stepping on the toes of their intended fluffy exclusion from the marker state.

But all in all, more female morat sculpts would be appreciated.

The problem with plugging that gap in morats is that I don't think CB wants to do it. Most sectorials seem to have glaring weaknesses and they all feel very on purpose to me. So I don't see morats getting a perimeter weapon even if I would use it all the time if they had one.

That's why I think we need to approach those issues from other angles. G:synch huge beasties seem more probable to show up than perimeter weapons, the same that another warband seems more likely than a cammoed model.

I think one giant glaring weakness per sectorial is enough, and that the lack of board control is negotiable with the powers that be, but you may well be right...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0