Koin-Koin

New Support Painting Group (NSPG): October Edition - The Interim Thread

40 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

As our fellow @FatChance is reported missing (in action ?), I (very humbly) declare the official interim October thread opened !!!

I can not promise prices or fame or whatever except plenty of gorgeously painted minis by talented people (or less talented if I find time to post something myself).

So, brace you brush and bring on the minis !!!

PS : you know how the internet rules ; pic it or it does not exist.

Here goes the quest for more Internet Fame Points: 

Y3TYxFz.jpg

Hey MikeS...
UEiShe7.jpg
I have not seen an Xubuntu install in ages.  Had to comment on it.  

Ah, here we go, three Yu Jingalings from Beyond Red Veil
XDWtW0Z.jpg
I'll see what I can do to get 'em painted. 

On 10/7/2017 at 8:30 AM, unclesrouge said:

d69cb8bf154b5095828b8e83cd4d6be5.jpgb52c3398996446d68ba335de5d702e9c.jpgb6bb21ce19b1f154f2af3f230a2c4007.jpg

Nr two ready for battle

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Im getting a Dark Crystal vibe from you work mate

30 minutes ago, Horrid Beasts said:

Im getting a Dark Crystal vibe from you work mate

Announcing the new unit for the Combined Army, The Chamberlain!

ZS9m9rk.jpg

:P

2 hours ago, jherazob said:

Announcing the new unit for the Combined Army, The Chamberlain!

Yes - please! B) Wait for Dr. Worm

dark-crystal-urac.jpg

Ah, Spookmas. My favorite time of the year.

Now that I've been through Crucible Orlando, and thus no longer getting a pair of armies tournament ready with painting three colors and basing several dozens of models, and also just list building and getting ready for the game I can finally get back to the fun part of making models beautiful.

I played a few games last Friday, pick-up games before some players would participate in an ITS event. They had several tables set up, some Demos, and some special multiplayer scenarios. Lost two games, won two games, couldn't finish one last game because I had to go with a friend. It was fun. I got a prize. Some terrain.

Would terrain count for models? Plastcraft that I have to assemble and paint. Not too bad a return of investment on the fifty dollar extended weekend.

Anyways, I do have a pledge for this month. I know I should get shamelessly booed for last September for getting none of it done but let's support each other now.

102_5476.JPG

So top row from left to right:

Hassassin Fiday, Hassassin Ragik, Bounty Hunter Sniper, CSU Breaker Rifle

"Big Dick" Tarik Mansuri, Kriza Borac, Intruder Sniper, Hellcat [once again painting my friend's Nomads]

Hac Tao HMG [birthday gift from August], Hassassin Ayyar [two people I faced last Friday were impressed at all the BAMF actions he could take], Guilang Combi conversion, Zhanying, and a Daofei.

If anyone wants to see some pics I took at Crucible Orlando during one of the Infinity Events, they're below as a spoiler.

Spoiler

EF3SBiB.jpg6NKuiDe.jpg

This was a scenic shot where I realized the mistake of not having my main hacker prone on top of a building where he could be chain rifled by a Muttawi'ah

odvkhAF.jpg

This was a shot on a beautiful table during a match vs JSA

C2mgPVc.jpg

Muttawi'ah and an Ayyar had Saito Togan (proxied by Mushashi) on lockdown

Hu0rDP4.jpg

A shot from the famous Bounty Hunter Deathmatch (some free for all multi-player scenario). I had the Yuan Yuan in the center.

And then some scenic shots I took. The one with the vegetation was fluffed as a resort on Paradiso overrun after being abandoned due to fights with Combined Army. I also have pics on a board with a lot of Gundam. The game on there was interrupted.

FzgLi2M.jpg

u9kUrzu.jpgmeDKNPU.jpg

C1ERIE8.jpg

here is my pledge for october, i just finished assembling them.

iYPhceu.jpg

Painting Q painting Q painting Q!

Am gonna be working on some of my lovely sepsitorised/alien influenced humies later on. With my Ko Dali, my disguised Speculo (Druze Hacker) and eventualyl Bit & Kiss. Am wondering how to give them a slight alien hue as opposed to normal human flesh. I'm thinking of doing a purple-red glaze in the eye area to inject some colours in. Thoughts?

On 10/20/2017 at 7:38 AM, Flipswitch said:

Painting Q painting Q painting Q!

Am gonna be working on some of my lovely sepsitorised/alien influenced humies later on. With my Ko Dali, my disguised Speculo (Druze Hacker) and eventualyl Bit & Kiss. Am wondering how to give them a slight alien hue as opposed to normal human flesh. I'm thinking of doing a purple-red glaze in the eye area to inject some colours in. Thoughts?

Try it and find out. Simple green the model if it doesn't work. Which is a cheap answer of course.

However, I think it will be tricky to get right. That area is often red/brown anyway, so the purple tones will contradict viewers' expectations -- good and alien, but the reddish hues will prevent it from being too jarring.  I think keeping the effect limited to the eyes is a good d

But  real-world people often use shades of purple for make up on eyelids, so getting it to look alien and not glam might be tricky.

Maybe a raw ivory eye with no iris? It was all in vogue in comic books a few years back. It would be much less subtle, more in-your-face alien (in so much as a eye that small can be noticed.)

Great points, thanks for the reply mate and I'll give it a go when I get to it. :)

Added the third model to my corregidor for the month.

McMurrough, mercenary werewolf (converted from a USAriadnan dog warrior from the devil dog box because I don't like kilts, or kilts on dogs.  It's a cliche I wish to avoid like the plague).  So I put him in trousers with a red/black checker pattern reminiscent of "tartan bondage trousers" as worn by punks in my teen years (when they were more visible, as I lived near the inner city) as a concession to his "Scottishness".

As the original model was carrying a shotgun, some conversion was needed.  I did a GS press-mould of a suitable hand holding a chain rifle and the other hand was sculpted from GS complete with pointing finger.

PVUZG7q.jpg
Z0bE52k.jpg

I am late to the party, but highly motivated. :)

Bringing Joan, a Crusader and a Black Friar to the party:

wip-inf.jpg

Got any close ups or solo pics of the friar mate? That mask is looking lovely. What colours?

9 hours ago, Flipswitch said:

Got any close ups or solo pics of the friar mate? That mask is looking lovely. What colours?

Thats just his faceplate washed red (GW Carroburg Crimson). Next will be a white layer, so that just the cross stays red. :)

Ooh I see now. Was browsing on mobile this morning! 

Finally had enough stars aligning so I could paint my overall favorite unit in terms of a blend of fluff, in game rules, and looks. The Hassassin Ayyar. Don't worry, I added a tuft to hide that little bar. Any C&C before I varnish it? 

Spoiler

I've been feeling demotivated a bit because I spend hours upon hours on these guys trying to place my A game and it just feels like it looks like a "B+" instead of an "A" and I don't know what else I could do to give the model(s) some more "oomph" to it. I thin my paints, use mediums, keep my hands steady on the table, treat my brushes right, and all the other tips yet I just feel like my 6-8 hours doesn't get the same results as other's 6-8 hours and I begin to wonder why I try so hard. Like, I haven't improved my skills in the past year, it just seems like it plateaus to right about this level. And if this is me reaching my limit it just doesn't seem good enough to be worth the extra effort compared to the fun I'm supposed to be having actually playing the games.

yDRHcTe.jpg