Atreyu

JSA Terrain

32 posts in this topic

Hello,

i want to build a JSA-Style Table for Infinity in the near future. Does anyone know some good quality terrain which would fit the japanese architecture?  Prepainted terrain would be awesome, but is not a must-have.

Let's see here... I have a Torii Gate from Warsenal, it's not pre-painted but it's really easy to paint (one can of Testors Flat Red spraypaint, and it will suck up just about the whole can!  If you're motivated further you can paint the top of the arch in Panzer gray or similar).  Technically, there should also be a shrine building, as a Torii defines the boundary between the sacred and the mundane, but I don't often use a shrine building on my tables.

The other Japan-specific terrain I have is actually a pair of cherry trees that I bought from a model railroad store.

Plastcraft has a YJ range of 6 buildings in the ColorED range.

TT Combat has some nice traditional style japanese buildings,

[link removed]

Customeeple have some awesome stuff, including a giant asian style castle

http://www.customeeple.com/infinity-shop/

And Warsenal recently released Yu Jing terrain, though I think that's more chinese in style..

https://warsen.al/collections/designed-for-infinity/terrain

None of them are pre painted though, but I own stuff from all of them and the quality is great and they look beautiful on the table ^^

I am afraid it is not allowed to link to non affiliated companies websites.

7 minutes ago, PsychoticStorm said:

I am afraid it is not allowed to link to non affiliated companies websites.

That is a very strange rule, what is the reasoning behind this? 

4Ground Terrain has some traditional Japanese buildings with thatched roofs (not linking directly because forum rules), they're pre-painted and pretty nice.  Pricey, but nice.  No scifi touches, they're for historical gaming (28mm Historical -> Shogunate Japan).  The thatched roofs are actually pieces of teddy bear fur, for best 'thatched roof' appearance you need to comb the fur and hit it with diluted white glue.

Oh, wait, almost forgot.  I have some traditional/historical Japanese buildings in papercraft.  PM me with your email address, I will send them to you.  I do have permission to distribute.

1 minute ago, meikyoushisui said:

That is a very strange rule, what is the reasoning behind this? 

It's for the companies that have bought the Designed for Infinity License and therefore have a local forum.  Plus the Spanish forum had many bad cases of jackassery involving the sales subforum that pissed CB off so much that no sales are allowed anymore.

Go visit the Data Sphere forums (banner in my sig) for a bunch more terrain sellers.

thank you all for the response :)

the Plastcraftgames Buildings could be really nice. The assembly seems to be really easy.

Does anyone have some of their buildings and can tell me how good the quality of the plastcraftgames colorED buildings is?

How many of their Buildings would you recommend for a whole 48"x48" Infinity Table?

I'm interested in the colorEd series too. It's either that or dive into a modeling project that will end with half my garage buried in half painted neo Tokyo and foam pieces and no space to squeeze through. At least that's how my attempt at a wm/h / mordheim / fantasy skirmish table ended up. I'd rather just buy usable stuff and run with it and spend time painting models.

1 hour ago, Atreyu said:

the Plastcraftgames Buildings could be really nice. The assembly seems to be really easy.

Does anyone have some of their buildings and can tell me how good the quality of the plastcraftgames colorED buildings is?

I have some of the 15mm Normandy buildings.  They look really good, PlastCraft uses both white and gray foamed PVC for their buildings, depending on what the wall colors are.  You can assemble them and then put a couple drops of superglue down the inside joints to make rock-solid buildings.  Reminds me, I need to make the second set of those buildings.  You will want to have an Xacto knife on hand for some light trimming, especially for cutting the pieces out of the backing plate.

1 hour ago, Atreyu said:

How many of their Buildings would you recommend for a whole 48"x48" Infinity Table?

I'd honestly not recommend getting a table full of the Plastcraft buildings.  There are only 6 different designs, I can't see having more than 2 of each in the same part of the city (well, maybe 3 or 4 of the Suburb, Yellow, and Star Hotel buildings).  Plus, you need an 8x8 Objective Building for about 1/3 of the ITS missions.  Also, those are pretty small buildings for the most part:  The Sushi Corner and Shopping Center are roughly 9x6", the Yellow and Suburban buildings are roughly 4x6", the Star Motel is 4x4", and the Armory is 4x5".  I like bigger buildings, but groups of small buildings are fun to move across (just keep them close enough to Jump between, 3" apart or less), and can act as a larger building for table-layout. 

But even 4 buildings together is only about 12x12 on the table, you'd need probably 36-48 buildings even with an 8x8 objective building on the table, which would be 6-8 of each building.  Too many duplicates for my taste, plus that's not cheap.

Remember, the basic Infinity table is that Objective Building in the center with 8 similar-size buildings around it in a 3x3 grid, at least 4 smaller buildings (or large vehicles) in the intersections between the big buildings, and then scatter terrain to give cover for troops to advance up.  So I'd try to design roughly 18" square (well, 14" with a 2" border all around) combinations of buildings that you can use.  A park is a valid thing to have in a city!

6 hours ago, Atreyu said:

I have a few pieces of the ColorED terrain, the quality is pretty decent for the price, dense and durable but not quite as strong as MDF. As for the amount of buidlings you would need for a 48x48 table really just depends on your personal taste.

Sarissa Precision also makes some traditional looking Japanese buildings for gaming.

One thing I want to try someday is Woody Joe. It's a Japanese company making making scale models of famous castles and temples. Although expensive something in 1:75 or 1:50 scale could fit Infinity.

As for futuristic buildings other than those mentioned by others I have no idea.

4Ground have a series of traditional Japanese buildings if you want a more rural setting. Build quality is excellent, in spite of the flimsy thickness of the mdf (thanks to construction technique and that outter walls are always more than one layer), and they come pre-painted.

We are, however, talking 16th century rural Japan, though, so very retro and not very... in-verse.

A lot of Japanese tables that I have had the fortune to play on use parks to provide some interesting differences in terrain while also reducing the number of buildings you require. You can fill up a quarter of the table or so that way, easy. Get or make some walls, then put trees and bushes inside on a grass-texture groundcover. Voila, parkland!

If you're feeling fancy you could add some traditional buildings like a teahouse in there (a great opportunity to use the historical terrain without breaking the scifi feel), torii gates, a rock garden, benches and lamps, etc. If you really want to be super-Japanese, get some pink or white-flowering cherry trees to put in there. But all that is extra. Just a walled-off area with some greenery is enough for the basics.

Check out @deflater mouse's work, I think he has some of his Japanese stuff posted here. His can be used for either historical or modern, but would really fit with the walled garden theme. We used it with water features a bit too, whcih was a fun challenge.

Just remember that if you stick too much of the table with park features or place large buildings too close (less than 4") you're intentionally nerfing AD3+ and probably snipers as well.

12 hours ago, Mahtamori said:

4Ground have a series of traditional Japanese buildings if you want a more rural setting. Build quality is excellent, in spite of the flimsy thickness of the mdf (thanks to construction technique and that outter walls are always more than one layer), and they come pre-painted.

We are, however, talking 16th century rural Japan, though, so very retro and not very... in-verse.

Go read "The Zashiki-Warashi of Intellectual Village" about how you could have very retro buildings in the late 2100s.  (The story is set in the same universe as 'Heavy Object' and at the same time as 'A Certain Scientific Railgun' and 'A Certain Magical Index'.  Pretty sure Heavy Object takes places after the 'A Certain...' stories.)

“Are you familiar with the term Intellectual Village?”

[...]

“Of course I am. I live in one. It’s a high class branding of the concept of ‘rural’. They’re proposed by three star hotels or famous department stores and publicized by advertising companies. Thanks to that, a third of the country was redeveloped and had its primary industry completely changed,” I replied in annoyance.

Please, just let me eat my popsicle before it melts.

“Wakayama’s wood industry, Akita’s rice farming, and Yamaguchi’s fishing industry. All the rural areas of the country were changed. This is one of those places. The official reason given is to curb rural depopulation by having people move from the cities to the country. But who’s gonna live in this expensive land? In reality, they know they can’t beat the cheap imported goods, so they’re trying to isolate us. They’re selling things based on high prices, safety, and high quality.”

“I heard that those cities with a concentrated population of a hundred million aren’t due to rural depopulation, but due to people not being able to live in rural areas. With the ecological and health booms, a house here in Noukotsu Village is more of a trophy than an overseas villa.”

“The beef and fruit are especially amazing. One bunch of grapes is 30,000 yen. Of course, thieves’ eyes will light up at that thought. That’s why the security network here is top class despite everything looking like you’re out in the country. An ion defense device has been constructed to prevent the brand-name genetics of the pollen blowing in from being raped. Just a honeybee net wouldn’t have been enough.”

“Earth, wind, water, grass, bugs, and fish. Everything around here has a price tag, doesn’t it? A liter of the water in the rivers here costs 300 yen. The lightweight trucks driving around are electric. The paths through the fields have lines of solar panels that change direction like sunflowers. AI machinery is used in production control for agriculture and fishing. Those who like to shop can do so via an optical communications network or the internet. The area is just a fusion of rural scenery and cutting edge technology.”

Though if I was going to Infinity-ize the 4Ground buildings I'd put solar panels on top of the thatched roofs and add a fancy doorbell unit from Antenociti's Workshop.  Actually, I might magnetize the doorbell unit and just run with separate solar panels, so I could still use the 4Ground buildings for historicals.

And I can totally see Yu Jing creating something like the Intellectual Villages in their colonization efforts, though they wouldn't have to go do far with the branding and ludicrous costs.

1 hour ago, Mahtamori said:

Just remember that if you stick too much of the table with park features or place large buildings too close (less than 4") you're intentionally nerfing AD3+ and probably snipers as well.

Depends on how accessible the upper levels of buildings are.  My group really likes dense tables at ground level, but they're much more open at the rooftops.  Almost breaks into two separate games, snipers up top and warbands on the streets.

16 hours ago, Mahtamori said:

Only if either the park features or the buildings and scatter terrain are too dense. I actually find open areas in parks just as easy to make.

The same rule should apply to the whole table: At least one decent dropzone per table quarter, preferably two. That rule also helps prevent American-style table chokeage, which was a hard habit for me to break so some open-space guidelines help.

I love me some Tiger Soldiers, especially in Power Pack I am finding.

The Citadel Woods painted up like Japanese Cherry Blossom  can actually look pretty nice.

(Full disclosure, likely going to have to edit this to get the image to embed right.)

dXYI3Crh.jpg

2 hours ago, osirisblue said:

The Citadel Woods painted up like Japanese Cherry Blossom  can actually look pretty nice.

Those turned out nicer than I expected!  I'd lighten the pink some more, the ornamental cherry blossoms are nearly white with just a touch of pink to it. 

20120412123018.jpg

True, but the color helps them pop on a greater variety of tables, including on my FLG snow mat.

Plus, I was working off of something more like this?

o-CHERRY-BLOSSOM-TREE-JAPAN-facebook.jpg

Fair enough!  (My pic is from Yasukuni, where is yours from?)

The internet!  Tohoku, apparently.

When I make terrain, I usually shop around until I find an image that invokes the right sort of feeling in me, then just keep it up while I work. Even if it's not exactly a copy or what I'm doing, I really like having it there to keep my mind in the right place.

@Atreyu, that'd be a decent bit of advice for you as well.

13 hours ago, osirisblue said:

(Full disclosure, likely going to have to edit this to get the image to embed right.)

Time for a visit to Games Workshop. Wonder how strong a magnet I need to get those trees to stand firm on my magnetic paint...

10 hours ago, osirisblue said:

True, but the color helps them pop on a greater variety of tables, including on my FLG snow mat.

Plus, I was working off of something more like this?

Looks like someone's messed heavily with the colours in that picture, the clouds are pink, so that picture looks like a 'shop (mandatory "I can tell from the pixels and having seen a lot of shops") :)

17 hours ago, Mahtamori said:

Looks like someone's messed heavily with the colours in that picture, the clouds are pink, so that picture looks like a 'shop (mandatory "I can tell from the pixels and having seen a lot of shops") :)

Yeah, it does look a bit red-shifted, but I have seen natural clouds that color.  It's certainly not color-shifted as hard as TOS Trek films were (someone forgot to tell the techs that Spock was supposed to be green, so they kept shifting the colors until Spock looked human)

Why look after pictures? Get your own japanese cherry tree bonsai like myself. Nothing beats the lif color comparison. 😛

As for other terrain a got a pair of terrakami tori gates which are mdf with acrylics which have a nice sci fi touch.