NateTehAggresar

Any love for the Swast HMG?

13 posts in this topic

So with the new swast model(s) i find myself wondering if i will ever field my swast hmg again.

In vanilla i feel like the brigada does his job for cheaper, no frills, bs 13, hmg fire support. And i feel like Kriza, Intruders, and Moira do heavy lifting with their HMGs better due to their mod stacking.

I accept that sometimes you just want to field a Swast, damn it, but in those cases other profiles seem more useful. The Redfury is a lt/decoy, is probably the best nomad data tracker, has excellent utility with a pulsar and koalas, and a +3 out to 24 which is pretty damned good.

The Hrl, has fire and impact templates apleanty, and is good at close and far ranges. It also has koala utility. 

I'm less sold on the boarding shotgun, but it has excellent near range tools, and koalas. I can see how he would be really useful in missions like frontline or quad control. 

The hmg seems like hes only good from 16 to 32, and even then hes just "good" not excellent, for quite a premium price. I can't help but feel, koalas or a pulsar, or something else, would go a long way towards making him an appealing choice. At those ranges, stealth and ma don't seem particularly useful, and the ma isn't a significant enough deterrance to keep infiltrators at bay. 

I also accept that some things are ment for their sectorial, but even then, i find it hard to justify this guy. He's still competing with moira hmgs, and the riot grrl spitfire, especially in haris or full core, appears to significantly out class him.

How does everyone else feel about him? What merits do you see?

P.s. what are some of your favorite lists with swast duos? I'm considering Bakunin for a change at my lgs's next league. Missions are transmission matrix, quad control, and supremecy, 300 with spec ops.

Have had some pretty good mileage with the Lt. profile on Lt. kill missions like Firefight or Decapitation where it's public info.

Koalas, heavy ARM/BTS, Pulzar, tinbots. Hard nut to crack.

I think Taskmaster HMG is a decent profile, but I would agree that Nomads have much better units to fill that role.

logo_3.pngHELLCAT HMG, E/Mauler / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 31)
logo_5.pngREVEREND MOIRA HMG / Pistol, Shock CCW. (1.5 | 34)
logo_4.pngINTRUDER HMG, Grenades / Pistol, CCW. (1.5 | 42)
logo_7.pngMOBILE BRIGADA HMG / Pistol, Knife. (2 | 42)
logo_49.pngTASKMASTER HMG / Heavy Pistol, DA CCW. (2 | 49)
logo_56.pngKRIZA BORAC HMG / Heavy Pistol, CC Weapon. (2 | 54)

In vanilla, he's in a weird spot between Brigada and Kriza.  Either you spend the extra 5 points and get the extra bonuses of the Kriza or you save 7 points and use a Brigada.  Martial Arts and Free Agent aren't useful enough to make him worth choosing.

In Bakunin, I think he does have a role, though.  Your only other HMG option is a Moira, who is worse in every aspect save for the presence of ODD.  Sometimes you need that extra HMG range to outdice an enemy ARO, so I don't think the Riot Grrl spitfire really does the same thing.

I like Free Agent a lot. I use CT to transfer a HMG from CG 2 to 1 a lot.

The SWAST HMG is not a choice I rate, really. If I want a HMG there are better options, if I want a SWAST there are better options.

"Better" meaning "more suited to my personal playstyle"

26 minutes ago, Solar said:

The SWAST HMG is not a choice I rate, really. If I want a HMG there are better options, if I want a SWAST there are better options.

"Better" meaning "more suited to my personal playstyle"

Thats strongly how i feel, but I'm always happy to hear other opinions and reconsider my own. I'm hoping for some peeps with well reasoned opinions that differ from my own!

It's missing it's Pulsar or Koalas from being a different choice in Vanilla. OTOH it's the best HMG to deal with massed Gals: HP round to the head when they Berzerk. And laugh when they fail to crit and their CCW bounces off your Armour.

Where it shines is in Bakunin. Until the TM HMG the only Shock Immune HMG was the Lizard or Reaktion Zond. Grunt Snipers are SCARY when all you have is a Moira HMG: even B5 isn't a sure thing vs B2 8s.

I've run it a couple of times in a Duo with the BSG. 8 orders into that Duo can collapse pretty well any flank. At which point you have an enfilading HMG with his Blindside covered by a BSG and Koalas.

He's not bad, but in Vanilla I would choose either Intruder HMG, Mobile Brigada HMG (cheaper, no bloat) or Kriza Borac HMG (full auto!)... or Moira occasionally. I think this profile is mainly meant for Bakunin. In Vanilla I really like the Red Fury Lt or non Lt SWAST.

Though I am still waiting for my Red Fury Taskmaster.

6 hours ago, M.I.R.A. said:

He's not bad, but in Vanilla I would choose either Intruder HMG, Mobile Brigada HMG (cheaper, no bloat) or Kriza Borac HMG (full auto!)... or Moira occasionally. I think this profile is mainly meant for Bakunin. In Vanilla I really like the Red Fury Lt or non Lt SWAST.

Though I am still waiting for my Red Fury Taskmaster.

Mine came in two days ago. I built the red fury, then took the spare HRL arm and replaced the sword arm on an HMG swast. I cut down the HMG barrell and some extra parts to make a convincing shotgun.

I'm swasted out except for the BSG, but I'm happy proxying or waiting, I'm most excited about the RF and HRL profiles anyway. Anyone have a lists they like as I mentioned in the OP?

My plan for the HRL is arm swap with the Kriza.

Then for the 4th I'm swapping the HMG with a Heavy Pistol. To make a DA CCW+HP universal TM.

Then on the Kriza I'm swapping DA CCW (from the arm Swap) with a second HP.

I may be a little excited about this.

For lists, here's 2 Batrep. Both feature a TM HMG in a TM Duo.

https://wotan.warconsole.com/commander/inane-imp

TM HMG

TM BSG

Moderator Link

Clockmaker

Lunk

Zero KHD

2 x Zero Minelayers

Reaktion Zond

3 x Morlocks

Basically comes down to being a sectoral choice I think. Like others have said, better or cheaper options for vanilla so only really competing internally in bakunin

The SWAST HMG figure has a great place as a weapon swap figure when paired with a Kriza. The Kriza gets a HMG and the SWAST gets a cool looking gun that (with the magazine removed and filed smooth) makes a great Boarding Shotgun. Remind me to post mine sometime.

On 11/8/2017 at 3:55 PM, BloodRose said:

The SWAST HMG figure has a great place as a weapon swap figure when paired with a Kriza. The Kriza gets a HMG and the SWAST gets a cool looking gun that (with the magazine removed and filed smooth) makes a great Boarding Shotgun. Remind me to post mine sometime.

Please do. Especially if it's painted.

Unrelated, I was debating which way to build mine, and after reading this, I think I'm sold on the Red Fury.