arkhos94

Should we make Point cost a public information ?

79 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Paskaharppuuna said:

On measurement, it feels like a throwback to the 90's, but one reason I can see why it's done is that it speeds up the game to not have the measure everything part of decisionmaking.

Which is super funny from a fluff standpoint as Infinity is an universe where observation drones are permanently scanning the battlefield (see "Camo Blip") and everyone and their mother has an Augmented Reality capable Tool on their arm but attaching a rangefinder to a gun or getting precise battlefield distances is too much to ask for  .. maybe they don´t trust Aleph Maps :D

8 hours ago, Ursun said:

Which is super funny from a fluff standpoint as Infinity is an universe where observation drones are permanently scanning the battlefield (see "Camo Blip") and everyone and their mother has an Augmented Reality capable Tool on their arm but attaching a rangefinder to a gun or getting precise battlefield distances is too much to ask for  .. maybe they don´t trust Aleph Maps :D

Considering that Aleph Maps has anyone not with the latest-and-greatest (and rather expensive) software update driving off of downed bridges in PanO, I sure as hell wouldn't trust it!

There seems to be 2 reasons people dislike rebuilding lists in game:

1) it reveals information they consider private,

2) it delays the game.

The first is what's being debated. But the second is just rude. I'd hurry up an opponent who was doing the second. 'Wait, I need 5mins so I can rebuild your lists' is a concept that should be laughed at.

WRT the first, my opinion remains that if you haven't taken sufficient care to hide your private information to stop it being deduced then it's not actually hidden. Yes this means that the fact an Infil Camo marker in Corregidor is a Bandit or that a Kempetei in JSA has CoC isn't a secret.

So in Daboarders example vs Hachiman, I'd have no concerns with Daboarder rebuilding Hachiman's list *so long as it took him no longer to do that than it would take him now*; but I know that Daboarder doesn't waste his time when playing the game. Atm he uses his spare time to assess LOF and consider his responses to his opponents actions. Dedicating brain power to explicitly rebuilding a list with multiple missing datapoints would eat into the time he spends considering his tactical options. Ie it's a trade off, sometimes worth it sometimes not. And this is why you shouldn't expect or grant extra time to rebuild a list: it's the same as a player who spends an inordinately long time deploying (something I'm often guilty of) or considering an ARO. In all cases make a decision and play the game, not extend the time it takes to play it.*

Moreover, I find the position that Points Costs are hidden information very difficult to support when some ITS scenarios REQUIRE you to tell your opponents the points costs of your models during the game. Indeed exploiting this: 'my Holo 1 model costs 14pts' meanwhile @the round end.. 'Actually it's worth xxpts'.

Honestly, the only position that's supportable is: the general points/SWC cost of a model is open information and the specific points/SWC cost of a particular model is private information (except where explicitly required by the scenario).

*And yes my regular opponents will find this amusing: I play relatively slowly already. But it's a weakness of my play that I'll willingly acknowledge.

7 hours ago, inane.imp said:

Honestly, the only position that's supportable is: the general points/SWC cost of a model is open information and the specific points/SWC cost of a particular model is private information (except where explicitly required by the scenario).

I think that's the best solution. The three Grunts in my Fireteam each could be 10/0 or 10/1 points and I'd be happy to say, but I'm under no obligation to say which is which.