14 posts in this topic

I’m starting to look at Acontecimento now that my Baghs are on the painting table. I️ was flipping through the unit list and read through the Guarda de Assalto entry and thought “dang these guys are awesome!” Which is really strange since I haven’t seen heads or tails of them in most forum posts. 50-odd points for a BS15 spitfire and zero-v smoke sounds hot, and with no Aquila or Swiss competition in SAA I️ could see one of these bad boys as a mean second combat group striker opposite a Bagh core team in group 1. 

Does anyone here actually have experience with the GdA? I️ rarely see them in lists and I’ve never seen one in person. I’m definitely down to do the experimentation myself but having some intel would be nice.

If I use them I use two and it's because I know I'll need two. SAA can be pretty SWC hungry so usually a SF and Multirifle on opposite sides of the board. If I was going to use one with a Bagh core then I'd probably keep it at a 10 order list. 

Don't get too comfy with idea of slinging eclipse smoke around. It's the worst smoke delivery unit in the game. It's good for covering dangerous alleys or helping with the advance of other units but dropping at the bot's feet is not reliable. Save it for AROs if someone gets the drop on you but ideally both the bot and Guarda will be safely tucked away during your reactive turn. Don't forget the bot comes with a LSG as well. 

The Guarda should also be kept clear of hackers since he doesn't have the BTS of his BS15 peers. 

There was a rumor around GenCon time that there's a resculpt coming soon but no news since. 

I've used it extensively.

The tricky thing with the GdA is that its main design hook no longer applies in N3.  Back in N2, when virtually all Heavy Infantry were 4-2, the 4-4 of the GdA set it apart as a fantastic, high durability, highly aggressive assault piece.  

Now, with all HI at 4-4, its lost a lot of its appeal.  It did receive some rules to compensate (MULTI weapons are better, it has d-charges.)  Generally though, if I want to hammer light targets and splash a template over them, I'll use a Naga.  The Combi and Mines are delivering a lot, with all the added bonuses of Infiltration, Camo State, Stealth, all that good stuff.  There aren't that many situations where I think "dang, I really want a badass MULTI Rifle, let me bring a GdA."  

That being said, the interplay between a primary attack piece and a g:synch bot with a great weapon is the main appeal for the GdA.  If you line up the right positioning and make your opponent pick between stopping incoming MULTI/Spitfire shots and contesting that shotgun splash, you can create very dominant combat situations.  If your opponent misdeploys a link team too, the GdA can end them.  Making them deal with a light shotgun that can position easily for max coverage, while your GdA also slices out from cover and can pick between an HFT or a BS weapon once he knows what the opponent's AROs are... That's a great situation to be.  The question though is how often is your opponent going to let that happen?  

For smoke: It can be great if you arrange opportunities to utilize it to the full.  As a PanO player, I'm almost always sneaking Camo past opponents, or shooting them in the face, so I don't consider a 50-point smoke launcher to be an optimal tool for how I play.  It's a helpful tool... But BS13 is bad, and you basically can't Spec Shot smoke to where it's needed most like a PH13 or PH14 warband can do in a couple of Orders. That's a big loss in smoke dispensing utility.

I really loved the GdA when Objective Rooms were in play.  That guy was pure gold for attacking/defending those rooms.  The blind of short-range weapons, direct template, auxbot shotgun, eclipse smoke, 2 Wounds, D-Charges, were all perfectly geared for missions where you knew CQB was happening. .

If we see the "fast" HI of N2 once again yet a speed boost (6-2?) then I think the GdA could reclaim a unique niche.  In missions or terrain layouts where you can guarantee those kinds of firefights, the GdA remains great.  But I don't see those tables or missions regularly enough this season for the GdA to become a staple of play.

For situations where I used to take the GdA, I now take the Tikbalang.  No objective room missions means the Tik can go anywhere on any table.  Ultra fast MOV value, climbing ability, also brings a Heavy Flamethrower, also has mines, benefits from Fatality, harder to Hack, harder to wound, harder to kill off... It's actually one of the few situations where I think a TAG overshadows the Heavy Infantry competition in a Sectorial, because the Tik brings so much when you want to put 50+ points and heavy SWC into a primary hitter.  True that the Tik doesn't have good rifle range options, but if you really want something that fires a rifle well, you still have Nagas, Montessas, Akalis, linked Regulars, linked Bagh Mari, Bulleteers, etc who can all fill that role.  If you want your g:synch, there's still Scylla and Drakios also, both of whom are completely valid Acon options that also tend to be overshadowed a bit...

The only time I've used him was in the first half of a league (before it was reset). He was a beast that I would just run up the board and kill everything. It's not easy to judge how that would work in a 300 point game, but he and his smoke bot annihilated everything, every game they were in during that league. 

I have found the Multi Rifle version to be quite effective both as a support piece and hammer. (I am not sure how much the tournament objects have changed but DA ammo was necessary at one time and it was harder to get in Acon.) Anyway I have found success setting him and his 'bot up in a place that allows you to cut off a long firing lane that your opponent was looking to dominate with a well-placed eclipse grenade smoke screen. Move some key components through the breach (link team), remotes, etc. Depending on the set up you might even drop the GdA into suppressive fire after moving him into partial cover. Barakiel is correct in stating that some of the GdA's historically primary, sometimes exclusive, roles within Acon. have become shared as the army list has been filled out and it's component units optimized. I still find him versatile and effective.

Thanks for the advice and the breakdown, all! I’m definitely looking forward to putting him on the table soon, so I️ suppose I️ will report back with the damages. 

I️ can definitely see taking two and tag teaming both sides of the table. Plus, 100 points for the pair is cheap enough that there is still some serious meat to the rest of the list. One thing I’ve been enjoying building Acon lists is how cheap everything is. It doesn’t feel like I’m playing PanO anymore, sometimes. 

I’m prepping a conversion using a spare Icestorm ORC body I️ have lying around, just trying to figure out the arm situation right now. Thinking of finding a Santiago Spitfire arm and replacing the old boxy spitfire with a new sleek one, and adding the HFT underneath. 

The GDA is the reason i play Acon.  Every game i have used him, he has been my MVP.  He and Scylla can usually lock down a table side by themselves while my Bagh Mari link take the other side.  The way the GDA plays is very different from other PanO units it makes it very fun to play.  

I don't know about Acon, but I've run the GdA a few times in vanilla.  Sometimes he's won me the game, others he's done nothing.

Good as a Data Tracker - twice in Decapitation he's gone out and killed the Designated Target in the first turn under cover of smoke for an easy 5 points.  Admittedly the bot isn't the best smoke platform, but he's the only one we've got!  Sometimes a bit of eclipse smoke makes all the difference, especially in button pushing missions.

18 hours ago, musashi363 said:

The GDA is the reason i play Acon.  Every game i have used him, he has been my MVP.  He and Scylla can usually lock down a table side by themselves while my Bagh Mari link take the other side.  The way the GDA plays is very different from other PanO units it makes it very fun to play.  

Which scylla and gda profiles do you normally run?

On 11/10/2017 at 6:02 AM, MrNailbrain said:

I’m prepping a conversion using a spare Icestorm ORC body I️ have lying around, just trying to figure out the arm situation right now. Thinking of finding a Santiago Spitfire arm and replacing the old boxy spitfire with a new sleek one, and adding the HFT underneath. 

The GdA used to come with both the Multirifle+FT and Spitfire+FT arms.  So unless you have to run double Spitfires, it's a pretty simple conversion.

I prefer the multi rifle for my GDA. 2 SWC for a spitfire in an already SWC starved faction is just too much.  I've had success with every Scylla profile but the ability to impersonate with the KHD is invaluable to get those fiery murder bots where they need to be.  Her EM close combat weapon has come in handy a couple times as well. 

I used the Montessa from the Acon starter for my GDA...because let's face it, the original model blows.

FB_IMG_1510748069624.jpg

gwyhwyY.jpg

MWi84jo.jpg

dZgsZst.jpg

conversion done! Since the GdA is a lighter faster HI i decided to use MI armor style for the arms, and the smallest “new HI” style body I could find.

pretty happy with the results. Can’t wait to prime him and get him painted!

I like the MULTI in theory because he can share cover and rangeband with the bot. Acon seems to be able to (see: have a hard time avoiding it) spend all their SWC on their links anyways :P