arkhos94

How do you use Scylla

18 posts in this topic

I have tried Scylla a few time (mostly cybermask then running to an objective or to the oponnent ZD and burning everything) but I don't think I use her to her full potential.

I plan to try her in my next tournament with a Danavas Hacker and a MK2 hacker to make a strong use of her repeater drone (for example white noising to cover them and Scylla).

And you, how do you use her ? Any devious trick or synergy ?

I've always used the KHD version. As a hacker, she is overall weak (WIP 13, no marker state, no infiltration). We have far better AHD than her, and normal HD seems a bit weak (and pricy). And KHD has that superb synergy with cybermask and her drones.

I've used her on several ways. The first and most evident is alpha striking as you suggest.

I've also used her for defensive / threatening purpose with the help of an EVO. The double flamethrower bots are no joke, but if you add overclock on top if it ... She is great when you need to defend a narrow way or an objective, since she can both burn anything not too armored and kill any AHD coming close. Just be careful with KHD, but if you pair her with another strong hacker like the danava or a KHD naga, she should be fine.

Another use is for her repeaters. You can cybermask her and her bots, and bring her bots in range for a hacking attempt. As long as the bots are cybermasked, the opponent can not use the repeater to hack you. They will only reveal if they do an action, OR if they are used as a repeater. That means, you can bring these repeaters close to a TAG for example. If the TAG move, you can ARO through the repeater, revealing it (but only that bot, not Scylla or her other bot). But, as long as you don't ARO, the opponent can't just use a KHD over your repeater, he needs to detect your bot first, thus spending orders. It's a somewhat safer way to deploy repeaters close to an opponent.

In vanilla her HD profile has been completely surpassed by the Danavas, as well as her AHD by the multiple marker options there. Her KHD is really the only one I can see using in vanilla anymore to seek and destroy other hackers from Cybermask or use like you mention. 

She's much better in SP for all the obvious reasons. 

As long as the bots are cybermasked, the opponent can not use the repeater to hack you.

Nat that I don't trust you, but I wasn't aware it worked like that. Do you have a source I can use to support it?

3 minutes ago, DukeEarl said:

Nat that I don't trust you, but I wasn't aware it worked like that. Do you have a source I can use to support it?

Show me a hacking program that isn't a comms attack? Last i knew you couldn't target friendly (impersonating) models with an attack?

Just now, NateTehAggresar said:

Show me a hacking program that isn't a comms attack? Last i knew you couldn't target friendly (impersonating) models with an attack?

The repeater is still active. You can't use it to hack a Cybermasked unit for obvious reasons, but the repeater could still be used to hack other units through it. At least that is my understanding. It could be me misunderstanding, but I read that paragraph to indicate that the repeater is only usable by the owner if the REM carrying it is cybermasked. That doesn't mesh with my understanding, but I could easily be wrong.

But, as long as you don't ARO, the opponent can't just use a KHD over your repeater, he needs to detect your bot first, thus spending orders

3 minutes ago, DukeEarl said:

The repeater is still active. You can't use it to hack a Cybermasked unit for obvious reasons, but the repeater could still be used to hack other units through it. At least that is my understanding. It could be me misunderstanding, but I read that paragraph to indicate that the repeater is only usable by the owner if the REM carrying it is cybermasked. That doesn't mesh with my understanding, but I could easily be wrong.

Sorry, i misunderstood your question.

Please read the wiki: http://wiki.infinitythegame.com/en/Repeater

Under repeater + impersonation/hiding "Hackers cannot use a repeater carried by an enemy trooper in marker state."

1 hour ago, NateTehAggresar said:

Sorry, i misunderstood your question.

Please read the wiki: http://wiki.infinitythegame.com/en/Repeater

Under repeater + impersonation/hiding "Hackers cannot use a repeater carried by an enemy trooper in marker state."

it is only for defense as using the cybermasked repeater with one of your hacker will reveal it

Still, nice piece of info to learn. By the way, if one of the three is discovered, does it reveal all three of them ? My warcor said so but I can't find a text supporting it

22 minutes ago, arkhos94 said:

it is only for defense as using the cybermasked repeater with one of your hacker will reveal it

Still, nice piece of info to learn. By the way, if one of the three is discovered, does it reveal all three of them ? My warcor said so but I can't find a text supporting it

Yah, I'm unaware of any dependancy between their marker states, other than initially entering, if able.

If you declare an attack, only the models that attack would reveal, models that cannot perform a action idle when g:synched and idle does not reveal a marker state.

53 minutes ago, arkhos94 said:

If either of the bots is discovered, or individually reveals (in ARO or by a having the repeater utilized by a friendly hacker)....  then the rest of them stay in Impersonation.

If Scylla reveals, or is discovered, then I think Cybermask would no longer be running and the bots would reveal as the only reason they get it is because she is using it on herself, but this isn't exactly supported by the rule as written; it just seems like what was intended.

The actual rule is:  If the player activates any Hacking Program which provides any MOD or state to the Controller of a G: Synchronized trooper (Cybermask, or Kaleidoscope, for example), then such MOD or state will also be applied to the G: Sychronized trooper.

So it's a bit unclear if Cybermask drops for the bots or not if Scylla is revealed because it says "activates" puts it on the g: sync, but doesn't include a cancellation clause.  It's entirely possible that the Cybermask state is perpetual until the bot does something that would cancel the state on itself the way the rule is written.

I don't see why scylla would be forced to drop cybermask if she is discovered. As you said that isn't a cancellation clause. 

Cybermask is cancelled if the user enters a null state, disabled state, or isolated, or if she uses a new supportware.

I don't see why scylla would be forced to drop cybermask if she is discovered. As you said that isn't a cancellation clause. 

Cybermask is cancelled if the user enters a null state, disabled state, or isolated, or if she uses a new supportware.

Cybermask is also canceled by anything that cancels the Impersonation state. 

The bullet point is under Cybermask: 

• The effects of this program persist until the user reveals himself as per the Impersonation-2 state rules.

I do agree that there are some debatable points in the rules. But the main point was that Scylla could bring IMP-2 repeaters close to a target, and that has some interesting consequences. Especially when said repeater can ARO with B2 HFT. I think it's better to see it as a deterence and a big hidden threat.

6 minutes ago, jfunkd said:

Cybermask is also canceled by anything that cancels the Impersonation state. 

The bullet point is under Cybermask: 

• The effects of this program persist until the user reveals himself as per the Impersonation-2 state rules.

Though if scylla is discovered did the "user reveal herself"?

I agree if scylla does something to reveal herself it drops.

Though if scylla is discovered did the "user reveal herself"?

I agree if scylla does something to reveal herself it drops.

Yeah, I think it does because this is under the impersonation cancellation, even if the wording of Cybermask muddies it up a bit.

• The impersonator is Discovered. In that case, replace the Impersonation-2 Marker (IMP-2) with the trooper's figure.

I like her, just the KHD with two bots mainly like everyone else. She's great for defending. I dunno about cybermask tho. Every time I try it she seems to fail it, and failing several attempts is really not great. WIP13 doesn't feel quite reliable enough.

5 hours ago, Hachiman Taro said:

I like her, just the KHD with two bots mainly like everyone else. She's great for defending. I dunno about cybermask tho. Every time I try it she seems to fail it, and failing several attempts is really not great. WIP13 doesn't feel quite reliable enough.

I've ended the game turn 1 a few times by approaching while masked. 

2 hours ago, NateTehAggresar said:

I've ended the game turn 1 a few times by approaching while masked. 

Hmmm, maybe I'll have to give it another go.