Blimps

Looting & Sabotaging Datatracker

35 posts in this topic

I played Looting and Sabotaging last night for the first time and, mission critique aside, I had trouble coming up with a good datatracker in a list for this mission.  There are so many restrictions on what can damage the AC2 that even if you somehow miraculously get a unit into base contact with it, the chances of landing a wound on it are pretty low.  I was playing as Corregidor, so McMurrough seemed like my most obvious AC2 destruction device.  Tragically, he went down to Lasiq fire on the way in and the Tomcat doctor sent in to bring him back was dispatched by a Hunzakut.  

I guess this question is broader than who should be the datatracker in Looting and Sabotaging.  Who actually stands a decent chance to damage the AC2 at all? 

Bran seems like a good choice, as he can start the game a millimeter away from the AC2 and commence beating it on it with his Anti-material DA CCW, but his PH is only 13 and the AC2 has ARM 8, making it bounce strikes 75% of the time.  Even though he is guaranteed to hit, how many orders would you need to pump into him in order to get three wounds off?  More than I'd like to spend, that's for sure. 

The Bandit seems like a better bet, as he can start near a panopoly, grab D-Charges, spend three orders moving over to the AC2, then guarantee D-Charge it with CC 22.  The downside of the Bandit is he can't both be a datatracker and keep his camo, which I would consider pretty critical to his longevity.  Prowler has the same problem with camo and datactracker.  He starts on the midfield and already has D-Charges, but 4-2 MOV makes his approach order intensive as well.

McMurrough seems like a shoe-in for Corregidor, as he has a AP+DA CCW and PH 16, so he is converting wounds 2/3 of the time and always hitting in CC, but the challenge with him is keeping him alive to get there, being extremely impetuous and all

Lots of units have D-Charges, the Lunokhod seems like a great delivery device in particular.  However, you can't plant them on the AC2, you have to CC it on there, so its CC of 7 makes it a horrible choice.  Tomcat Engineer/Kowalsky seem like decent options as well, except they start a minimum of 24 inches away and their CC is only 13/14 so you could flub multiple rolls trying to CC with D-Charges, which isn't great.

TAGs punching with Armored Fury looks nice but our tags are all CC and PH 15-17, so again there are a lot of potential wasted orders trying to turn TAG punches into AC wounds. Still, their resilience makes them good candidates for a datatracker.  A Szalamandra is fast, will land a punch 85% of the time, and will wound the AC2 with 50% of punches.  

Reverend Healers have CC 19 and an EXP CCW, but 4-2 and start in your DZ.

No matter the choice, you're going to spend a lot of orders either getting to the AC2, or trying and failing to land wounds on it.  I suspect the majority of Looting and Sabotaging games will end in a stalemate with few or no wounds on any AC2, as it's not hard to put up enough of an ARO/template defense of the AC2 as to make clearing the approach take most of your orders.  What a weird mission.

What am I missing?  What is your preferred Nomads AC2 destroyer in this mission?

as you said, destroying them is very rare.

I'd say you may as well forget the datatracker and at least grab a few points with a good camo model. also, datatracker bonus OP is only for the final blow, if you run him there, manage to survive and deal 3STR* then you get 3OP that is it that is all. so probably, i'd go with a camo model to deal the initial damage. and then on final turn, if my datatracker TAG or datatracker rev healer EXP CCW makes their way there, i can try to destroy it.

*easy to miss (i know i missed it in the mission with 9 antennas) but dealing 3 STR point, brings it to 0, not below 0. It is knocked out (damage) not destroyed yet.

I would go with McMurrough. Remember that with MA2 he hits on 19 damage AP DA not 16. Yes that is better than the crit chance if they aren't attacking back.

Don't forget that MA2 gives +3 PH for CC Damage, and that MA3 gives +3CC for the purposes of getting a critical hit.

Bran with MA2 has about 70% chance of taking off one or more STR per Attack, and within that, about 20% of two STR.

A Taskmaster is on about the same odds, but obviously will have to get across the table, while also being tough enough to take one or two unopposed AROs while walloping the AC2.

McMurrough is even better due to starting with PH16 and having DA+AP, so with MA2 he's on 95% to cause damage and 60% to cause two.

However if you can get them there, a Reverend Healer in a Custodier Haris is even better as you're hitting with a Burst 3 PH15 EXP CCW, for around 95% chance of causing damage, 80% of causing two and a whopping 27% chance of removing all four STR in one go to destroy the AC2 outright.

Kusanagi Spitfire in that Haris is awful good at clearing opposing ARO's on the way to it too. B5 BS14 ODD is no joke.

Yeah that's a pretty good mission specialized link to take. What was the verdict, can you do Healer+Custodier+Kusanagi?

2 hours ago, Loricus said:

Yeah that's a pretty good mission specialized link to take. What was the verdict, can you do Healer+Custodier+Kusanagi?

I believe the haris has been legal since the list of fireteam wiki page updated:

http://infinitythewiki.com/en/List_of_Fireteams

Aren't McMurrogh and Bandit ineligible as datatrackers due to irregular? Still probably good choices, it's just 1 point.

Maybe silly question, but what if my data tracker did not plant the d-charge, but detonates it? Who deals the dmg then?

26 minutes ago, radka said:

Aren't McMurrogh and Bandit ineligible as datatrackers due to irregular? Still probably good choices, it's just 1 point.

FUCK

57 minutes ago, Gwaernydd said:

Maybe silly question, but what if my data tracker did not plant the d-charge, but detonates it? Who deals the dmg then?

AC2 can only be damaged with CC attacks. I don't think planting and detonating d-charges works.

1 hour ago, radka said:

AC2 can only be damaged with CC attacks. I don't think planting and detonating d-charges works.

D charges can be used as a cc wpn with -3 hit mod, so I would say that they are legit when used that way. 

Sorry, re-read the question. Planting and detonating would be illegal. 

Still I think Bran should be your best bet. He would crit on every 4th attack roll or so in addition to normal damage due to MA. Or use lvl 2 for +3 dam. 

Datatracker-Bran a Millimeter away from the AC2 but as a Model not Marker is basically suiciding him. Well, if you have the first turn you might be able to deal these two damage points though. If not the Monkey will get into severe trouble.

Yeah, he needs support. Blitz an uberfall kommando up to provide eclipse cover? 

Nah, for the cost of one Überfallkommando you get three DA-CCW Morlocks (and therefore three irregular orders, three options to get to the AC2 etc.) and have five points left. Nasty MSV troops can be treated properly with White Noise and a big gun ;)

Bran + uberfallkommando and three morlocks would still leave you 225 points and 6 swc :D

That's true :D

And if you get additional attacks for ganging up around that thing you could even add the Rev Healer as Datatracker

uberfallkommando would rip that thing up so hard you'd have to be careful to leave a wound for Bran to kill it though. They're the beast in CC...

On 01/12/2017 at 6:32 PM, Tristan228 said:

And if you get additional attacks for ganging up around that thing you could even add the Rev Healer as Datatracker

The only problem being that she is so slow you would spend all your game just getting her over there.

3 hours ago, BloodRose said:

The only problem being that she is so slow you would spend all your game just getting her over there.

To mov-mov from corner to corner 4-2 costs 3 additional orders.

A friend of mine came up with the idea to play L&S tomorrow so I came up with this list:

logo_503.png Jurisdictional Command of Bakunin
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.pngorden_irregular.pngorden_impetuosa.png1
logo_23.pngKUSANAGI Spitfire / Pistol, Shock CCW. (2 | 43)
logo_1.pngMODERATOR MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (1.5 | 17)
logo_1.pngMODERATOR Spitfire / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 15)
logo_1.pngMODERATOR Paramedic (MediKit) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 11)
logo_1.pngMODERATOR Lieutenant Combi Rifle / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 9)
logo_1.pngMODERATOR Combi Rifle / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 9)
logo_10.pngMORLOCK Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 6)
logo_3.pngREVEREND CUSTODIER Hacker (Hacking Device Plus) Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 32)
logo_4.pngREVEREND HEALER Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, EXP CCW. (0 | 33) Datenpaket intl T228.png
logo_9.pngZERO Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 21)

GROUP 2sep.gifsep.giforden_regular.pngorden_irregular.pngorden_impetuosa.png1
logo_10.pngMORLOCK Chain Rifle, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 6)
logo_24.pngBRAN DO CASTRO Boarding Shotgun / Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 33)
logo_15.pngREAKTION ZOND HMG / Electric Pulse. (1 | 26)
logo_22.pngSALYUT (Minesweeper, Repeater) Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
logo_18.pngTRANSDUCTOR ZOND Flash Pulse, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 8)
logo_26.pngWARCOR (Aerocam) Flash Pulse / Stun Pistol, Knife. (0 | 3)
logo_9.pngZERO (Minelayer) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 19)

6 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army

The rev Healer will be my Datatracker and Bran will be used as a backup. He's in the 2nd CG because if I'll be going first, my opponent will most likely strip the orders from my 1st CG.

16 hours ago, Loricus said:

To mov-mov from corner to corner 4-2 costs 3 additional orders.

To move 48" with a max move of 6" and not accounting for terrain?

2 hours ago, BloodRose said:

To move 48" with a max move of 6" and not accounting for terrain?

About 68" and no terrain.

To mention that you meant a diagonal path would've been helpful ;)

Also it's a pretty rare occassion that you have to move any trooper that far. Usually a trooper has to reach a objective in a max. beeline distance of 34". And most of the time a Trooper has to use it's 2nd skill to do other stuff than walking.