Blimps

Looting & Sabotaging Datatracker

35 posts in this topic

Why else would I say corner to corner?

1 hour ago, Loricus said:

About 68" and no terrain.

Okay, so with no terrain and noone shooting you can do it in 13 orders, your right. However I tend to find that terrain placement and enemy units hinder the moving somewhat and mean that it takes the slow MI longer to move up the board.

On a side note it only takes a 4-4 moving Infantry unit 9.5 move-move orders to cross the same distance. Medium Infantry are in a odd spot at the moment which is sad really as there are so many interesting units out there that are MI.

8 minutes ago, BloodRose said:

Okay, so with no terrain and noone shooting you can do it in 13 orders, your right. However I tend to find that terrain placement and enemy units hinder the moving somewhat and mean that it takes the slow MI longer to move up the board.

On a side note it only takes a 4-4 moving Infantry unit 9.5 move-move orders to cross the same distance. Medium Infantry are in a odd spot at the moment which is sad really as there are so many interesting units out there that are MI.

Don't deploy them in the corner for one. For a normal amount of movement it should take even fewer.

And the game doesn't have half orders. That's part of the reason why MI don't waste as many orders as people think. Losing 1 order over the game can be worth it if it has a function you can't get on a 4-4 troop. Unless we get Bao and Mymridons that's true for Nomads.

I've been thinking about this issue for a while and I hope to test my theories in some games soon.

To me the best looting/ sabotaging datatracker for vanilla nomads appears to be the Krakot Renegade. (The DA CC profiles obviously).

It has Forward deployment and impetuous (and metachemistry depending on your roll) to help it spend less orders getting to the AC3. And once it gets there it can use beserk to crit the AC3 on a 13plus (about a 40% chance). And hey maybe the DA weapon might do a wound without the crit.

It's not as ideal as what some other factions have but i think its the unit that has the best shot without giving up any of its capabilities.

I am wondering if Nomads are better off just deciding not to attempt to destroy the AC3 with the datatracker. We have some nice options for destroying it that are either ineligible (McMurrough), or lose out on camo state or AD (prowlers, bran, bandits, tomcats). Could be worth just saying flag it... I'll blow it up using whatever means necessary. You are only loosing 1Vp after all.

3 hours ago, Loricus said:

Don't deploy them in the corner for one. For a normal amount of movement it should take even fewer.

And the game doesn't have half orders. That's part of the reason why MI don't waste as many orders as people think. Losing 1 order over the game can be worth it if it has a function you can't get on a 4-4 troop. Unless we get Bao and Mymridons that's true for Nomads.

Aye, but even still you cant really just dedicate all of your orders to moving one single MI.

MI are actually slightly weak in my opinion. Their strength is in their armour and you pay for that but once you lose one wound its all over, and you lose a quarter of your potential maximum speed. I remember deploying a Moiras link against an opponent a few months back and watching him sweat at the thought of dealing with it, only for his look to change to confusion as he watched how long it took them to get up the board. A TO flamer later and the link suffered 40% losses and never recovered. Riot Grrls would have been better in that situation, being both faster and tougher, but anyway.

Half orders - I was referring to the need of only one move short skill being needed on the last order. 

5 hours ago, Skaldur said:

I am wondering if Nomads are better off just deciding not to attempt to destroy the AC3 with the datatracker. We have some nice options for destroying it that are either ineligible (McMurrough), or lose out on camo state or AD (prowlers, bran, bandits, tomcats). Could be worth just saying flag it... I'll blow it up using whatever means necessary. You are only loosing 1Vp after all.

Yeah that's probably what I will do.

11 hours ago, Loricus said:

Why else would I say corner to corner?

Well, there are still four corners and therefore three possible ways to reach one corner from another whilst only one of the ways is the way you meant. So the reader (me) has a 2/3 chance to guess the wrong one.

You see this results in math. And I hate math! ;)

4 hours ago, Tristan228 said:

Well, there are still four corners and therefore three possible ways to reach one corner from another whilst only one of the ways is the way you meant. So the reader (me) has a 2/3 chance to guess the wrong one.

You see this results in math. And I hate math! ;)

That's not how human communication works, people dont specify something for no reason. Is the internet just bots to keep me busy?

edit: I didn't ask what else corner to corner means, I asked why I would say it.

2 hours ago, Loricus said:

I asked why I would say it.

I thought you meant corner to corner on one side.

I thought you specified corners in opposition to running DZ line to DZ line; which is my default running distance used in comparison since models (with a purpose, like objective achiever) usually starts near the DZ, not in the far back (which is where chearleader are), and objective could be on the enemy DZ line. When is the last time I had to run to the far back ?

And I also noted that you chose to not say the more often heard "from one corner to the opposite one" (heard by me; YMMV) and I ask the same question : "why not ?" and i mentally answered you did not meant opposite corner that is why you decided to not add that adjective.

Finally, I don't see why one would compare running corner to opposite corner. While it is possible to have a mostly straight line DZ to DZ, the odds are almost guaranteed you can't run anything near of a straight line going on the diagonal. If you need to go from one corner to the opposite one, your path will likely be closer to twice 48" rather than square root of (2x48").

edit to add : 

example of square city. even if you can cross a street in diagonal, would you ? no way to want to end up in the open so you likely always go straight, walking along side the wall. (but not single file to be flamed/shotgunned)

quXLP03.jpg

7 hours ago, Robock said:

Finally, I don't see why one would compare running corner to opposite corner.

It's just the longest simple distance in the game.