Warharan

Starting Yu Jing (what to paint first & other questions)

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Black Friday saw some amazing deals and a friend convinced me to start this game.
Splitting meant € 35,- for 10 models (Operation Red veil+expansion) which seems a superb deal.

I obviously got the Yu Jing.

Looking further for some more black Friday I also ordered the Yu Jing Sectorial starter pack and the support pack for ridiculous little money.

My question is simple:

In what order would you recommend me painting this lot up? And why?

Bear in mind I am a newb in Infinity. (lots of wargame experience though)

Also;  is there anything that you feel is absolutely amazing for Yu Jing and among my 20 current models?

Any other tips much appreciated too.

Thanks a bunch in advance.:)

I'd recommend painting the Zanshi (lightly armored infantry) up first, and maybe the Zuyong multirifle.  Whatever are used in the first 2 missions in Red Veil.

I happen to really like fielding a Daofei and two Guilang (usually Daofei hacker with one Guilang FO or minelayer and one sniper).  Lets you play a guessing game with your opponent in the midfield, with 4 camo markers to deal with.  Two are squishy troops, but one will blow up in your face and the other is a 2W Heavy Infantry!

The Zhanying ML is another fun piece, as it is impossible to surprise and has a brutal response to getting shot at.

The Doc and Engineer are older models, but I think they still look good against the newer sculpts.

At some point, you will probably want to add some remotes.  There are 3 different boxes:  Yaokongs are the basic remotes and among the most useful profiles (in addition to being among the oldest sculpts in the game).  Yaopu Pangulings are the baggagebots.  Yaoxie are the Rui Shi and Lu Duan combat remotes.  I'll be honest, I don't own the baggagebots or combat bots, I don't like the models.  Instead, I bought the Haqq Kameel baggagebots and the Nomad Sputnik combatbots.  Painted up in YJ orange ochre they look like they belong.  But I have ... 10? of the Yaokong basic remotes, full AVA of everything.  You don't need to go that crazy, if you magnetize the models you will need two boxes of Yaokongs (there is only bits to make one of each type in the box) to field all you will need for a game.

Shortly after N3 came out, I was running a lot of lists like this:

logo_201.png Yu Jing
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

orden_regular.png10  
logo_4.pngZÚYǑNG Lieutenant (AutomediKit) HMG / 2 Breaker Pistols, Knife. (1 | 39)
logo_5.pngYĀN HUǑ Hyper-Rapid Magnetic Cannon / Pistol, Knife. (2 | 54)
logo_7.pngDÀOFĚI Hacker (Assault Hacking Device) MULTI Rifle / Pistol, Shock CCW. (0.5 | 59)
logo_11.pngGŬILÁNG (Minelayer) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 26)
logo_11.pngGŬILÁNG MULTI Sniper Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 33)
logo_16.pngWÈIBĪNG Yaókòng Combi Rifle, Sniffer / Electric Pulse. (0 | 16)
logo_38.pngYÁOZĂO Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
logo_38.pngYÁOZĂO Electric Pulse. (0 | 3)
logo_39.pngPANGGULING Hacker (EVO Hacking Device) Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 25)
logo_14.pngZhanshi YĪSHĒNG Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)
logo_15.pngMECH-ENGINEER Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)
logo_1.pngZHANSHI (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)

6 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

The Zuyong HMG and Yan Huo are the heavy beatsticks.  Daofei and Guilang are in the midfield to score objectives early, with the sniper farthest back (but all 3 plus the mine all within 8" of each other).  I put the Mech-Engineer and Doc on opposite sides of my deployment zone and put their helperbot on the other side (Eng and Doc's bot on one side, Doc and Eng's bot on the other), they usually end up facing my back table edge and going on Suppression Fire to stop AD troops.  Weibing can move up and either sensor to ID enemy camo markers or FO things.  The Zanshi FO is basically there as a backup (and I had 1 point remaining with a basic Zanshi).

But I STRONGLY recommend that you play through the Red Veil missions a couple times before jumping in at 300 points and Tournament scenarios!

The Guilang has a place in all lists, all missions, at any point level.  It's a very good unit to have in a list, especially the various Combi Rifle equipped loadouts which provide a broad range of flexible tools for attacking the enemy, defending your own units (antipersonnel mines are great for this) or achieving mission objectives.

Also, Cheap order generators are critical.  They not be spectacular in terms of combat effect, but their role in giving your better troops the Orders needed to fight is one of the key principles of playing Infinity.  Any of the line troops you have (Zhanshi, Celestial Guard) can assist in this role.  

After that, there are a lot of units in the intermediate 30-40 point rangeband.  My suggestion is to look up their profiles in the online army builder, see what rules and equipment they have, then use the Infinity Wiki to learn what their rules and weapons do.  This will not only help you learn about your units, but will also help you become more familiar with the rules.  Once you learn what a Tiger Soldier's Airborne Deployment does, you'll know the Airborne Deployment rule for all armies, yours and your opponent's.  It's likely that, as you learn the rules, some of these units will become interesting and appealing to you.

Ultimately, the big hitters like the Hsien or Dao Fei will become the powerful focal point of your list.  Since the default Infinity weapon is the Combi Rifle, effective at short to medium ranges, it's very helpful to have heavy weapon troops (for example, the Heavy Machine Gun or Spitfire) to extend the effective range at which you can gunfight and engage your opponent's units.  The Hsien and Dao Fei, with their great Ballistic Skill, good Armor and multiple Wounds, are very powerful.  You may not use them much in small games, where their high point cost will make them difficult to include in starting lists, but eventually you may use them in every game you play.  

Yesterday I was baptised in fire. The 'vets' who already play Infinity showed me and my friend the game.

They immediately plonked down the entire contents of Red Veil+expansion for me to play with. The other side saw 300 points of Aleph.

(yes; quite a lo to chew at for a rookie who merely watched the first 3 demo/Red Veil games on youtube)
Mostly it is simply a *lot*  to digest in one go. Which I am still working on but I think I am not choking or dying. ;)

Anyhow; what I think I managed to glean from all this:

* The Daofei seems bloody expensive for what he does.

• He was pretty good all things considered but I also was fairly blessed with my dice yesterday and looking back and thinking about it I feel he is fairly expensive at 57 points.
  • I feel the Hsien was simply better for the measly 4 pts extra; +3 cc/+1 bs/+1wip/+3 bts Both had the HMG btw.
  • Am i missing something about the Daofei?

*Zhanshi did nothing but add orders. (literally; not spent a single order on them)

*The Ninja was amazing. Deep striking where you want him to deep strike and assassinate stuff without breaking a sweat.

*The one Tiger warrior I had used his flame thrower to great effect. He died ingloriously by HMG fire in the back after him taking out some nasty bugger with a missile launcher and a nearby medic which allowed me to break his oppressive fire lanes (4 dudes in all) and made it possible to get in closer and win the game. I think at least one extra Tiger Warrior is something I want. Perhaps even more. (is there a maximum btw?)

*Spitfire guns seem amazing. (I had none but the Aleph had)

Probably a lot more but this was what I managed to digest for now...

Daofei can be put into a position where he'll be needed (exactly as Ninja, but more reliably and not completely hidden), and he imposes a -3 on the enemy. At least the Spitfire version (with SWC discount for lieutenant option) is well worth it and will force most encounters more heavily in their favour than Hsien will.