Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eciu

Assault skill [rework idea]

8 posts in this topic

So... I'm not a fan of current Assault skill (obviously), LoF requirement makes it quite hard to use, as it forces you to enter at least one shooting F2F with a target which usually is bad for you (if it wasn't bad why do you ever bother with trying to get into CC?o0).

It has built in diadvantage of giving you further -3 to CC, when the enemy will usually try to perform BS attack which is done when assaulting piece cannot claim cover (another bonus for defender). 

So mayby Assault could use following addition/rework:

Target of an Assault attack must first pass WIP roll (similar to guts roll) before being allowed a declaration of ARO. In case of WIP roll the target/victim of Assault cannot declare an ARO/can declare ARO with -X modifier (-6 ? -9 ?)

Some units with Courage, Religious, Veteran could give you another way of immunity (auto pass) to this check (as those troopers should not be scared by some crazy maniac sprinting at them with rather big sword/axe/tentacle). 

Thoghts/comments/insults ?

(obviously I think best would be to kick out LoF requirement from Assault, but I feel that could be a bit too much, and make this skill extreme "snowball" option if some CC monster gets into cheerleaders in DZ ...)

Your mother smells of elderberries!

Seems too complicated. I'm not sure Assault actually needs a buff, but it does need a quality of life one where members of a link team or coordinated order without Assault can still move.

An alternative way of looking at it is that Assault skill should be available to all units while the units with Assault today currently should have Assault L2 which removes the -6 CC penalty *hinthintnudgenudge*

20 minutes ago, Mahtamori said:

-6 CC penalty

Currently it's -3 penalty ;)

Yes, I'm aware that this "rework idea" is kinda bit complicated mechanicly (as there is currently nothing similar to it). That's quite a downside (new mechanic to learn for all players).

3 minutes ago, Eciu said:

Currently it's -3 penalty ;)

Okay, let me write in clear text; I think the likes of Achilles or a Pathfinder should be able to Assault at -6 penalty while Domaru and Knights Montessa would assault at +/-0. (Though now that I write that out, I'm getting concerned about units with Electric Pulse - could be OP could be interesting)

41 minutes ago, Mahtamori said:

Okay, let me write in clear text; I think the likes of Achilles or a Pathfinder should be able to Assault at -6 penalty while Domaru and Knights Montessa would assault at +/-0. (Though now that I write that out, I'm getting concerned about units with Electric Pulse - could be OP could be interesting)

What does Pathfinder do in this comparison ?

So how about MA giving Assault 1 and some people having Assault 2 for no penalty to their CC ?

Assault with Electric Pulse would be pretty broken imho ;/ (like Assault 10' on most drones, or Assault 12" on Fugazi ^^)

I thought the point of Assault was getting 8" movement plus attack.

7 hours ago, Loricus said:

I thought the point of Assault was getting 8" movement plus attack.

Which is extremly niche (actually it's most usefull in mission like Grid due to big amount of static targets).

56 minutes ago, Eciu said:

Which is extremly niche (actually it's most usefull in mission like Grid due to big amount of static targets).

Domaru have been shackled by Haramaki, but it's very a useful skill to have otherwise. I think what makes Montessa/FK not appreicate it as much is that it takes their CC skill to barely acceptable.