CannonFodder_mtl

Frenzy & Fireteams

Question

If a model is in a Fireteam with Frenzy, does it still become extremely impetuous the turn after it kills something.

Assuming it stays regular while in the fireteam, but the fire team breaks up on turn 2. Does it become extremely impetuous immediately or only at the beginning of turn 3.  

I'm asking because Scarface and Cordelia gain fireteam duo in the druze sectoral. 

8 answers to this question

From Fireteam rules:

• The Fury Characteristic Frenzy will not activate while the trooper possessing it is part of a Fireteam. If that trooper leaves the Fireteam, he will return to the Impetuous or Non Impetuous state he was in before being part of the Fireteam.
  • Troopers with the Frenzy Fury Characteristic who are in the Impetuous state, or with the Impetuous or Extreme Impetuous Fury Characteristics, are Non Impetuous while part of a Fireteam. Once such troopers leave the Fireteam they return to their Impetuous or Extreme Impetuous state.
  • Any Fireteam that is an exception to this rule will specify this in its description.

I've always played it as taking effect immediately, though I don't think that matters in N3.  Impetuous phase happens before any regular orders are spent, so if the link team breaks in the regular orders phase of Turn 2, you don't generate the Impetuous orders until the start of Turn 3.

Yeah, but impetuous trooper is losing cover immediately after he leaves Fireteam.

Well,

If Scarface didn't have Frenzy triggered before joining with Cordelia, he won't be Impetuous when Cordelia inevitably gets shot (because Scarface suffered from an Overlord attack)
If Scarface had Frenzy triggered before joining with Cordelia, he will revert to his normal, impetuous, state when Cordelia leaves his ZoC.
If Scarface was Frenzy and gets popped out of their TAG, he's now a completely different unit and should no longer be Impetuous. This doesn't make sense to me, personally, but is the logical consequence of the rulings that TAGs and their pilots are independent units.

The main reason why timing is important, (as @Pietras404 says), is whether they can claim cover.

Although, @Mahtamori, why would Scarface suddenly lose Impetuous if he pops out of his TAG? Surely he'd be even angrier given his TAG's gone as well? :)

1 hour ago, mightymuffin said:

Although, @Mahtamori, why would Scarface suddenly lose Impetuous if he pops out of his TAG? Surely he'd be even angrier given his TAG's gone as well? :)

I'm getting more and more confused with the whole situation the more I dig. The TAG and the pilot are two completely separate models, they do not share states between each other and they don't share equipment with each other at all. I did find a post by IJW where he noted that they are still the same trooper, and all I can really say is that the pilot rules are a complete mess.

16 hours ago, Pietras404 said:

Yeah, but impetuous trooper is losing cover immediately after he leaves Fireteam.

knew I was forgetting something!  Thanks for the reminder.

So yes, still takes place immediately after breaking the fireteam, Impetuous model(s) can't take cover anymore.  Just like a model Frenzying (get that first kill and can't take cover anymore).

Frenzy popping occurs on the beginning of that players next turn.

And while in a link team, a model doesnt count as getting a kill for purposes of popping frenzy until he is out of the link killing someone.