Micro Art Studio

Infinity marker sets - contest & discussion

201 posts in this topic

I have one observation/suggestion to make regarding the order pack:

While I think the pack is brilliant, as it covers most of the possibilities a combat group provides, it cannot supply enough Regular orders for a combat group (or list) including 10 Regular models, as the Lieutanant Order has to be "camouflaged" with the rest of the order pool- and accounts for the 11th order.

If at all possible, I would include an 11th Regular order marker in the Order Pack; or otherwise, at least provide the option for buying the markers singularly- something you might want to consider for the whole marker line, really.

I'd also like to second the voices for a minimum of 3 Mine Markers, if not a "Mine Set" of 6.

Hope this helps, even if just a little.

Also consider that some people like to run groups of 7 and 8. Maybe the marker set should include 15 orders? 10 + Lt plus some spares?

I thought I should put this up to explain what I did with my camo markers to make them easier to see. When you have so many camo guys this makes it easier to keep track of them.

camomarkers.jpg

transparent' date=' adhesive foil. One side is printed, the other is sticky, when you remove the waxy paper you can see throuh it and see the reverse of the art printed.[/quote']

I think the idea would be to put an additional opaque paper sticker over the transparent one. That way you'd have one image (the bottom, transparent one) visible through the Acrylic and the other visible directly when you turn it over.

But it might not be a good idea to do this only for camo markers/mines, as you wouldn't want it to be obvious which markers didn't have soldiers under them.

Hmm, perhaps combine the non-mine Camo markers with Wound markers? You're not likely to need a lot of both at the same time.

I think the idea would be to put an additional opaque paper sticker over the transparent one. That way you'd have one image (the bottom, transparent one) visible through the Acrylic and the other visible directly when you turn it over.

If that's the idea, well... It might work, still it would require to print some markings on a transparent foil and the some on on solid white :side:

I'll see what we can do about it and run some tests.

I thought I should put this up to explain what I did with my camo markers to make them easier to see. When you have so many camo guys this makes it easier to keep track of them.

Np, i understand and there's an idea to have the marker art without the number, just an empty space there(a hole if you will).

And with that a separate sheet with just the numbers, say 1-10 and several groups of them in different colors.

This might be a standard or maybe just in the big sets, we'll test that in practice ;)

As for the price of a set - there should be some rough estimates after the weekend.

Hey guys!

I still can't say anything about the price(sorry! still working on it), but we worked a little on refining the sets.

First is the proposition for solving the numbering problem on Camo markers:

camomarkersnumbers.th.jpg

The markers themselves would have a transparent 'window' in the place of the number. In the set you would have an addition in the form of different numbers in different colors.

With those anyone can number their camo any way they like - this option would propably be in the big sets only, while the small sets of camo would have default numbers.

And here are some refined sets:

newmarker02.th.jpg newmarker03.th.jpg newmarker01.th.jpg

Its a practical solution, somethign similar could even be done for mines to diversify their effects, but I am not sure it is as practical.

from local observation, prone markers are much in demand, but this is mostly because the unconscious state is a prone counter and as many wound counters as it is required, an unconscious counters would be a neat solution that helps keeping the counters down to a low manageable amount.

As PS has said, having a seperate unconscious marker (which indicates prone and wounded) as done on the optimised marker sheet has been so useful when the battlefield is getting full of bodies. I couldn't imagine going back to using two seperate markers for that!

A proposition for an Unconscious marker, based on the Hostile:

markersunconcious.th.jpg

What do you think? Those would be added to 'Wound' and 'Status' sets.

Seems good. However, I think the colours should be changed to differ it from Impersonation marker. No idea on what colours exactly should it be, though.

Blues?

It seems different enough for me.

While you're making new markers, can you make one for "hacked"? Using IMM markers has always bothered me, and can be confusing against armies that are lobbing adhesive ammo and hacking up a storm. A hacked marker (HCK?) makes a lot of sense to me.

Just stumbled across this thread. I was going to make a set of tokens earlier today. Copied and pasted it all to photoshop and tweaked what I wanted. Loaded the decal paper and hit "Print". The F#$!ing printer decided to die!

I'm kinda glad it did now, as I could wait a little while for something like this.

What happened to the Link team leader marker?

Also, my vote as another Shasvastii player who uses TO a lot is that the original CB TO in the Blue colour looks nicer and helps keep track of it easier than the one that you picked which looks like a slightly blurred regular camo

Have we abandoned the idea of plug in humanoid silhouettes for Camo etc? that was suggested earlier in the thread? I thought that was great. Maybe as a deluxe edition or only a few bases to have the slots?

Also as a Shasvastii player, I'm not going to buy the seed or embryo tokens ( I guess some people may) as It seemed so essential that I modelled some 3D ones out of a large british company's range of aliens's glands. Painted up it looks good enough to me. Several other local Shasvastii players ,more talented, have sculpted some from green stuff. This would lead me to suggest that perhaps you could offer a deluxe version as a full sculpted base set, in line with your terrain bases. I'd pay a modest fee for some cool sculpted ones that look better than what I have done, but probably not the plain acrylic & stickers.

Lastly how do you propose the little coloured numbers attach to the camo window? WIll it create a lump that will wear out or peel off ?

Love the unconscious marker idea.

However, the post earlier really did some it up, if it is unaffordable, then it just isn't going to get bought. Secondly is how long to get it to the marketplace

The marker looks good enough, I liked the original combined unconscious marker than has a small prone symbol just to remind the model is prone while unconscious.

the immobilised is open to a whole debate, I understand the idea behind a single terminology doing the same thing, but the need to differentiate the glued and disabled immobilized where you need an engineer and the hacked immobilized were you need a reset has become obvious over the years.

Hi there!

Could you be more specific? It's along with every 'Orders' set.

Have we abandoned the idea of plug in humanoid silhouettes for Camo etc? that was suggested earlier in the thread? I thought that was great. Maybe as a deluxe edition or only a few bases to have the slots?

That's the idea for the "2nd gen." or more "funky" design that we'll work on right after we release these that are roughly the original CB designs :)

Also as a Shasvastii player, I'm not going to buy the seed or embryo tokens ( I guess some people may) as It seemed so essential that I modelled some 3D ones out of a large british company's range of aliens's glands. Painted up it looks good enough to me. Several other local Shasvastii players ,more talented, have sculpted some from green stuff. This would lead me to suggest that perhaps you could offer a deluxe version as a full sculpted base set, in line with your terrain bases. I'd pay a modest fee for some cool sculpted ones that look better than what I have done, but probably not the plain acrylic & stickers.

Sure, but we can assume that every player willmake seeds/embryos for him/herself. And since we want to release markers for Infinity it's our duty to release ALL of them :D

Granted some will sell better than others, but that's free market for you ;)

Lastly how do you propose the little coloured numbers attach to the camo window? WIll it create a lump that will wear out or peel off ?

I can't say at this time - currently i'm gathering suggestions from you guys - after that we'll run test prints, stick them on the discs and maim them a little over the gaming table.

If they prove to damage easily we'll try to address that problem in some way.

However, the post earlier really did some it up, if it is unaffordable, then it just isn't going to get bought. Secondly is how long to get it to the marketplace

Well... We're trying to go as fast as we can. Then again, we don't want to release bugged or defective products. So that's that.

Also thanks for the other suggestions, we're getting back to work :)

Hi there!

Could you be more specific? It's along with every 'Orders' set.

The round blue one from the HS set with a group of human figures.

lider.png

It is used to identify which one of a group of 5 minis is the leader (might also have a giant bullseye on it ;)

As to the shasvastii seeds, I just meant to say since you already do a range of sculpted resin bases, adding another would not seem to be to difficult. The full set of markers are going to appeal to all factions, but the shasvastii ones are only going to appeal to shasvastii players. Maybe CB can or already has given you stats on the proportion of sales of each faction. I'm just saying that the Camo Set 3 that you posted pictures of would appeal to me at the right price, but the shasvastii set would not. A sculpted base or 10 or 20 would and might also sell to generic gamers as alien landscape.

So my point is this, no matter what your faction you are likely to be interested in the camo and status sets that you have shown us. But only shasvastii players are going to be potential customers for the shasvastii set. If we assume that CB sales of shasvastii specific models accounts for 1/16th or their total sales, then perhaps it would be better to invest in sculpting a 25mm resin base with a seed that could be sold to us and every sci fi gamer who wants a Aliens style pod on a base rather than tweak and fine tune a marker set for a small faction who may have mixed feelings about buying it.

If however you are saying that the difference in cost and all it's implications of making the shas set, and having it boom or flop are negligible in the scale of the rest of the investment, then let's try it and see what the customers think.

maybe it would be worth putting a poll up on the forum to see which faction people play, which sets they would buy and some choices in price points for how much they'd be prepared to pay for them.

I do thank you for involving us all in the development process and that is a rare and precious thing these days.

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

Well, currently we're planning on throwing a 'Link Leader' marker to every orders set(there's a pic of this option a couple of pages back. Do you think it should also be in some other set(as far as ai remember there's only one linked team per player?)?

As for the sells ratio - we do consult CB on these things ;) Throwing Shasvastii markers(that already exist) along with other just isn't such a big deal - even if they don't sell in tons.

On the other hand - we were thinking on some "alien flora" bases for some time now. Thanks for the idea that some could double as a seed/embryo marker :D

Cool idea!

well an orders set set could be a place for the link leader to be, while one in every pack would be nice there will be many link leaders massed that will not be that usable.

love the 2nd generation markers, will be eagerly waiting to see those :D

On the other hand - we were thinking on some "alien flora" bases for some time now. Thanks for the idea that some could double as a seed/embryo marker :D

Cool idea!

that is a good way of thinking, duality is a nice thing to have, would look great with Shasvastii on them as bases.

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

Well, currently we're planning on throwing a 'Link Leader' marker to every orders set(there's a pic of this option a couple of pages back. Do you think it should also be in some other set(as far as ai remember there's only one linked team per player?)?

Yep, that is correct, so no need for more than two tops - one for yourself and one to lend to your opponent ( - along the lines of "Say try these cool markers from MAS")

As for the sells ratio - we do consult CB on these things ;) Throwing Shasvastii markers(that already exist) along with other just isn't such a big deal - even if they don't sell in tons.

Cool idea!

Here's a couple that I made from some british game manufacturers alien race adrenal gland I got on eBay set into some simple mud with a puddle.

shasvastiiseed.jpg

I'm sure with CB's concept art that you could do something similar, but better and the rest of the gaming world would just view it as alien terrain. My Royalties charges are very reasonable :_aww__rvmp_by_bad_blood:

... and another thing...

have you considered making them out of Lexan/Polycarbonate to gain the virtually shatterproof advantage of that material?

I'd have to confess that is why I haven't bought your acrylic templates. All my previous games system that use non-flexible templates end up either cracked, chipped or broken from dropping on hard floors ( how many of the rest of you have noticed that every local gaming venue seems to have a totally mini-unfriendly flooring surface - one I used to go to even had checker plat steel!)

For a recent work project I had to get something small and fiddly made and was shown the properties of Lexan by the guy in the factory bashing an offcut sheet of 2mm with a hammer and having it completely unscathed. He couldn't bend it how we wanted, so we went with Acrylic, but I wouldn't expect that to be an issue here?

Wow... That's an interesting observation. I'll see what we can come up with.

On the side note, no - all the places i came upon have rather normal floors(wood panels being the worst i've seen) :P

So I must confess...

I couldn't wait for all of them...

After some emailing around for quotes I got these done at a local laser cut plastics factory for AUD1.95 each.

I was going to try putting the camo token logo on the base as a decal then gloss varnish to protect it

The decal idea is not as cool as the little numbers proposed, but for Camo guys to help judge height I think it will be better.

I'm still keen to see all the rest get a run and I'd also get the camo stickers even if I do keep using these

375ece3a.jpg

I'm happy to send the CAD files to anybody (MAS included - my royalty rates are very reasonable ) - just let me know

I'll let you know how the local Infinity crowd react to them

So I must confess...

I couldn't wait for all of them...

After some emailing around for quotes I got these done at a local laser cut plastics factory for AUD1.95 each.

I was going to try putting the camo token logo on the base as a decal then gloss varnish to protect it

The decal idea is not as cool as the little numbers proposed, but for Camo guys to help judge height I think it will be better.

I'm still keen to see all the rest get a run and I'd also get the camo stickers even if I do keep using these

375ece3a.jpg

I'm happy to send the CAD files to anybody (MAS included - my royalty rates are very reasonable ) - just let me know

I'll let you know how the local Infinity crowd react to them

That's amazing.