MiniJunkie

Question about printing paper terrain

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys, there seems to be a ton of great paper terrain for infinity. I'm wondering a few things:

Do you print it yourself, or take it to a printing store like Staples to do it? Is there a quality difference?

If you print it yourself what thickness paper are you using. Inkjet printer?

If you are taking it to a store, how do you do that exactly? Do you just put it on a thumb drive, do you have to tell them the files and or the printing size?

The larger playing-mat paper craft - does that have to be printed page by page and taped together or can some places print one big mat?

Any advice or tips would be appreciated!

Best regards

Jarrett

I print on an inkjet and all my terrain is printed on 110 lb (200 gsm) paper

On larger buildings I'll reenforce them with chipboard on the inside.

If you can't find chipboard, it's the same thing cereal boxes are made of.

I haven't tried taking it to a store for printing.

Topo's map is designed so you can use it as separate pieces, but some people do take it to a print shop to have it made in one piece.

I print them myself in an ink jet printer heavy paper 200-300 grams.

I combined the TOPOs mat myself and had it printed on a canvas mat.

I also print with an Ink Jet printer and the paper I tend to use is between 160-200 grams.

Like Tommygun I'll sometimes reinforce mine with thicker card. I personally really like the paper terrain, easy to make, its versatile & fairly cheap to produce :)

I use a laser printer to print the paper and glue it to the thicker construction media.

I'd use an inkjet, but I no longer have one. I have two laser printers and a dye-sublimation printer (for 6x4 photos and "proofs"). My inkjet bit the dust mid-last year and it was no longer cost effective to replace it with another one.

Besides, I also have access to the wife's work printer (and they don't keep a particularly accurate tally of copies).

I've put files on a thumbdrive and taken them to the local FedEx Office. I made a folder called 'FedEx Office' so that I could tell them go to your store folder. full-color printing is a bit expensive, though. $1.50 for color, plus extra for the heavy paper. Works out to nearly $2 a page.

Instead, I borrow my Dad's photo printer and bought a ream of cardstock for about $15. Every so often I buy him a set of cartridges (about twice a year), and I still haven't finished off that ream of cardstock!

Thanks guys - I have it printing pretty nicely on my HP inkjet. Now I have to get better at cutting/scoring/glueing :)

Get a metal ruler to help with the scoring.

You get a much more accurate cut with your knife.

I would also recommend archival grade PVA glue from an art store.

Cool - I tried a couple of glue ideas from the world works forum (zip dry and tape runners). Zip dry was super thick (faulty maybe) - tape was good but not for smaller tabs.

Personally, I glue my cardstock terrain with SuperGlue, rather the denser variety if I can get it. If I let it soak into the paper for a moment, it resluts in a stiff "laminate" once it dries up. I've found the effect very sturdy.

Reported. The spam-bots are getting cleverer. My favorite is still the one that posted a fantastic image of a young lady in a bikini.

This one mixed up some words from Tommygun's earlier post with almost-proper syntax.

Reported. The spam-bots are getting cleverer. My favorite is still the one that posted a fantastic image of a young lady in a bikini.

This one mixed up some words from Tommygun's earlier post with almost-proper syntax.

I'm getting hack by spam bots!!!

....help me Sarah Connor, you're my only hope.....

Do spambots dream of electric sheep? Reported.

By Crom's hairy nutsack!  The spambots are now performing thread necromancy. We are truly seeing the End-Times.

We doctorsforumites  know

a hopeless case if ---listen: there’s a hell
of a good universe forum next door; let’s go.  (with apologies to e.e. cummings.)

Oh, reported.   Looks like this poor thread is quite the spambot attractor.

Yeah papercraft is still the thing for me