Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fritsk

Transparent gate?

7 posts in this topic

The current gate is semi-transparent orange plastic with engraved lines. Considering the new tokens with printed details, would it be technically possible to make completely transparent gate from clear plasic with printed orange (or green) lines?

Would this be really expensive?

Would it look great/crap?

:unsure:

Technically possible?

Yes.

Economically feasible? No.

Expensive? You betcha. It will make GW plasticrack look cheap.

I'd prefer the energy barrier piece in that fluoro green acrylic they used on the templates. It glows under UV a more sickly colour.

The reason for this question is that this way you'd get something that just shows the laserbeams, instead of the current gate which is more the inverse.

the current one is not supposed to be laserbeams, but a forcefield afaik.

My gate set arrives last week and I was thinking of various things I could do with it since it is so modular.

If you have access to an actual hobby shop, model train people, etc, you could easily building what you are talking about. You would need to acquire the colored rods in the color you want, and make a set of ladder rails out of regular ABS or HIPS (plasticard) ever so slightly thinner than the gate mounts. The ladder rails and rod should be the same diameter, or the diamter of the rod should be less than the width of ladder rail. Same would would be easier and more structurally sound, smaller would look better. Mark off a nice regular increments on the ladder rail, and put "rungs" between your "rails" and make a ladder the height of the gate abutments. I would use that really nice liquid cement/melter stuff for the joins.

Sometimes throwing out ideas produces new perspectives. Yup, that would do the trick!

easier: get some uv sensitive paint, get those lamination sheets, paint your beams on the inner side, laminate, cut to shape, voila! (profit..?)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0